1996 HZJ75 with 1FZ engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders.
So I have a VDJ200 (2013) and an FZJ80 (1993). But sadly, I have the Land Cruiser bug!

I recently came across a 1996 HZJ75 troopy. It seems in good shape. Originally from Chile. The owner told me engine has been swapped to a 6 cylinder petrol Toyota engine from another LC. My guess is it is the 1FZ. I haven't seen the truck yet. Will confirm as soon as I see it.

The question is. Is that swap an easy one? What should I look once I take a look at it?

There are not that many Troop Carriers in Argentina. I was really wager to find a diesel one, preferably a 1HZ for reliability. So the swap is really a negative in this case.

Whats everyones opinion?

I have yet to confirm if it is an automatic or manual transmission.

Thanks for everyones honest opinion.

Cheers
Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 14.17.11.png

Those straight sixes came factory also. Automatic transmissions as far as I know never came from the factory. These gassers are also generally reliable if not abused too badly. Probably a little thirstier than a HZ but in exchange probably a little faster accelerating.

If its a straight 6, it can be either a 1FZ or a 3F. Both were offered in the 70 series. Autos were not offered on the 70 series, but since you already know it was converted to a gasoline engine you can assume it was paired to that transmission.

The 1FZ and the 3F will be MUCH thirstier than the 1HZ. Acceleration will be MUCH faster also, more so if you have the 1FZ.

I don't believe you will find info on a specific conversion here, you'll need to get more information from the seller and then ask your questions..

I had carb'd FZ in an 80 series. no real issues other than cold morning sometimes took an extra pump on the accelerator.

looks to be fairly clean conversion, assuming H15X on the FZ?

I had carb'd FZ in an 80 series. no real issues other than cold morning sometimes took an extra pump on the accelerator.

looks to be fairly clean conversion, assuming H15X on the FZ?
I have to confirm what transmission is paired to the motor. From what the owner told me, The guy that did the swap had 2 Toyota trucks (The troopy in this post is one of them) and swaped engines. I supposed he swaped transmissions as well. Will confirm shortly.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice looking troopy... it looks repainted. I suggest do a good rust / bog test, many here have lots of rust in the roof, frame, doors and floor. If I was driving on roads most of the time, I would much prefer that petrol (gas) carby engine... the 1HZ diesel is the slowest accelerating road going engine on the planet, thats why it lasts forever..!! Even little old ladies zoom past.
I found when over in USofA that most people didn't care too much about econamy and want faster petrol engines... and dislike slow diesels. Here in OZ on farms, work places and mines the employers didnt mind the slow (safer speed) diesels, and appreciated the better economy. On a farm or in the bush such a diesel will tick away all day on half or less the amount of fuel used by a petrol one.

Indeed it was repainted, and man, have they done an awful job!
Frame seems OK. Body will need some repair and of course repainting. Roof looks as if would have stand in it, lots of ondulations.
Also, rear brakes have been converted to disc, which I don't particularly like., since it wasn't an OEM conversion.
4x4 and LO work.
No SUB tank, and the OEM wheel carrier isn't there anymore (Under the body), instead previous owner did something in the interior.
Overall, I think its 6/10 points. Good base to work on. But these things are so expensive down here. Asking price is 20 K USD.

Thanks everyone for the reply, will keep you posted whether I buy it or not. Some pics of the body work that needs to be done.
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.42.32.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.41.39.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.41.27.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.41.03.png

Cheers.

Some more pics.
They will give me a bull bar, they said it is OEM, but I have no idea. It looks good and will save me 1 K USD.
Also a picture of the drivers side (LHD) windows, they look as if they were hit by a dust storm. Is there anything to do about that? Some sanding maybe?
Also, notice the exhaust, it crosses from RHS to LHS, don't know what they did this. Any issues with that?
Cheers!
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.40.16.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.40.47.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.41.14.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.42.17.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.42.04.png

So I bought the truck. I hope I made the right decision!!!
My plan is to tackle all the mechanical issues at first. Full engine service, filters, fluids, etc. Also transmission, transfer and differential fluids. Will check knuckles but will surely need an overhaul.
Differentials seem ti buzz a bit, will check them and try to adjust everything.
After mechanical bits are taken care of, I will use it (will live in a farm), and in a near future will do a complete body and paint job.
Plan is to keep it as stock as possible. Will install a SAFARI snorkel, OME suspension, and the provided bull bar (I believe it is not OEM but surely looks good, maybe it needs some powder coating.
Along with the paint job, will try to replace all the weatherstrips, and of course try to polish those windows, hope I can do something about it.
Also will try to relocate spare to OEM position under the truck (no SUB tank). It seems that when they fitted both spares in the cabin, the rearmost seat benches got lost somewhere along the way. Will try to track them down. Worst case scenario I will try to fit a second row seat facing forward.
Any input as to what I should tackle, would be great.
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.16.19.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.16.39.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.17.38.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.17.53.png

Also part numbers for filters would be greatly appreciated. My 80 has the 1FZFE, don't know if they use same filters.
Cheers

Reactions: flx
Yes the C (orU ) Channel bumber on the Troopy.. good for a bush bar, ie to push through bush, and take out the odd tree that needs an extra hard nudge. The ARB bar on the dark wagon is a excellent bar too, hundreds of thousands of them made, ARB have been the masters here in OZ.. For years this style have looked great and the norm.... ... ... but I see a trend to all sorts of new compact bars (which dont stop the mud, or murky water wave from sloshing over the bonnet and wind screen.... ( a proper bar stops that)..
And now the new fancy (expensive) steel bumpers with no top half are the trend..!!
My business needs super tough, protection, no mud waves, and I will probably add some C Channel for the trees...

Fitted the provided Bull Bar. Some adjustments need to be made, it needs to go up about one inch. Also I will add a tube in the central part off the bumper, like the ARB ones, and off course it will need a paint job.
Some pics attached
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 09.35.51.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 09.36.28.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 09.36.45.png

Hi fellow mudders! its been a while.
So I am gathering spares to start the build on the Troopy. One thing that has me concerned is the left hand side windows that seem to be blasted by a sand storm or something alike.
Do you guys have any recommendation as to how I can polish the windows so they look great again?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Does anyone has an idea on how to fix my sand blasted windows? I thought I wouldn't matter, but actually it really bothers me, and I am not in the mood of replacing all windows.
Cheers!

You can polish glass, same method as auto paint polishing. Check out YouTube.

I want to drop an 1FZ in my troopy, I keep my eyes open but don't pop up often

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom