1994 fzj80 - how much of haltech elite 2500 should leverage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

Heading down the road of an eventual turbo solution but first I am going to replace the stock ECU with a Haltech elite 2500, basic harness, wideband O2 kit and 6 HT-020114 high output coils with built in igniters. Will drive around for a few months and then save bucks for a witts-end turbo kit.

ECU. I Spoke to the local wiring guy and he said I have, broadly speaking, 2 options, piggyback and use some of the ecu but leave idle, air cond, dash, etc or full harness rewire.

Either way, I want to go full sequential. I also have an autotrans and injected liquid vapour gas(LPG) to make work

I think I want to walk in to his workshop with a general spec of what I want so as to not be overwhelmed by his own views.

What better place to ask this question? I have already scanned the web for ideas and spoken to the haltech techs and it seems the consensus is to use some of the existing ecu and some of the haltech for other bits. I will also be wanting to use the 4D mapping for both LPG and 98ron petrol. Engine was rebuilt a couple of months ago and turbo compatible pistons were added, otherwise stock.

Q1. What should I leave to the factory ecu and what should I switch over to the haltech?
Q2. Seems TPS may be difficult to wire to the Haltech. If I go the full rewire, can you advise on what "bits" will be the difficult bits?

I figure I will have more questions but at this stage I am not sure I know enough to ask. 😐

Thx,

You won't be able to do a FULL rewire with the Haltech 2500 there aren't enough inputs and outputs for an 80 with all of its options. You will want to wire the Haltech in parallel, using the Haltech for fuel, ignition and timing, and using the stock computer for everything else.

You won't be able to do a FULL rewire with the Haltech 2500 there aren't enough inputs and outputs for an 80 with all of its options. You will want to wire the Haltech in parallel, using the Haltech for fuel, ignition and timing, and using the stock computer for everything else.

Thanks Scottryana,

With this approach, can you advise on what sensors move over to the haltech? Are there any that the haltech should share? I would like to leverage full sequential firing, delete the air flow sensor on the intake, use the haltech's MAP and install an air temp sensor instead but wondered if I did that it could impact the air fuel mix at idle?

TPS I am not sure about.

I am going to sound like an idiot here but why not just sell your rig and get a nice OBD2 rig to replace it if you want a turbo? Seems cheaper in the long run if all you are going to run is Joey's turbo kit.

I am going to sound like an idiot here but why not just sell your rig and get a nice OBD2 rig to replace it if you want a turbo? Seems cheaper in the long run if all you are going to run is Joey's turbo kit.

It's a good question. Unfortunately, I have many years of attachment with my rig. Emotional not logical I am afraid.

Yep, ODBI, Dalton's the timer in my area has completed a few tricks. I believe one was a turbo ODBI truck with an auto and injected LPG. They had success using a motech ECU as a piggyback. I think the only thing that worries me is how the factory ecu will handle idle if I remove the AFM from the intake to use haltech onboard MAP? Any thoughts?

Also witts end turbo is for ODBII engines, I get that but if I am running my own ECU as a piggyback, would it not matter that this is an earlier crusier.

Apologies if these questions sound a little hit and miss.

Oh you are in Australia aren't you? Your computer is quite a bit different from the one we have here in the US. I would get on the Facebook 1FZFE Turbo forum and post your questions there. I would be 75% of the guys on there are from Australia and would be able to give you specifics about what you need to do.

Yep, ODBI, Dalton's the timer in my area has completed a few tricks. I believe one was a turbo ODBI truck with an auto and injected LPG. They had success using a motech ECU as a piggyback. I think the only thing that worries me is how the factory ecu will handle idle if I remove the AFM from the intake to use haltech onboard MAP? Any thoughts?

Also witts end turbo is for ODBII engines, I get that but if I am running my own ECU as a piggyback, would it not matter that this is an earlier crusier.

Apologies if these questions sound a little hit and miss.

Oh you are in Australia aren't you? Your computer is quite a bit different from the one we have here in the US. I would get on the Facebook 1FZFE Turbo forum and post your questions there. I would be 75% of the guys on there are from Australia and would be able to give you specifics about what you need to do.
Yep, from AU. Thx, I'll jump on to it now. Btw, I'll likely persue the witts end turbo over the next few months as this looks like quality kit. Keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom