1993 Landcruiser Wiper relay-Where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Windshield wipers stopped after making humming noise. Motor is good. Where is the relay? My research has led me to multiple places but everything talks about the rear. The switch in steering column? Under the steering column? Drivers side relay box by brake? Help. I drive this vehicle and it is raining

Screenshot_20211216-003225_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I don't see a relay. Sounds like a blown fuse or a bad ground. Disclaimer: I've had a few whiskeys.

View attachment 2866612
I don't see a relay. Sounds like a blown fuse or a bad ground. Disclaimer: I've had a few whiskeys.
Well the prior said they moved to the switch. I saw a video of a Lexus and removing the switch and the relay inside. However the switches look super similar. The difference is you have to remove the steering top on mine but not on the Lexus . I’m not that handy.

Well the prior said they moved to the switch. I saw a video of a Lexus and removing the switch and the relay inside. However the switches look super similar. The difference is you have to remove the steering top on mine but not on the Lexus . I’m not that handy.
Definitely not a blown fuse

Get your fsm at the link in my signature. I just revised the 93-94 FSM so it’s one PDF with bookmark navigation. Makes it easy to find this s***

The wiper motor switch is part of the motor housing. It is the "return to home" switch. There is no relay in the system.
You are sure of this in the 93 because it isn’t where my research led me. There is a wiper motor that was tested and it works- inside that?

You are sure of this in the 93 because it isn’t where my research led me. There is a wiper motor that was tested and it works- inside that?
I don't know what "research" you've done. I'm looking at the Toyota factory service manual and schematics. From 1991-1997 there is no wiper relay.
The below image is from the 1994 Toyota EWD, which is identical to the 1996 EWD (already posted for you), which is identical to the 1991 EWD.
There is no relay in the circuit. The internal switch in the motor is the return to home switch.

1640378322052.png

Last edited:
I have the 93 repair and service manual. It is in the switch for the wiper”. It’s not a plug in. It is sauntered and “Research” was extensive. I knew it moved to the switch but not sure for my year it it had further moved and how hard or easy to switch it out. They just suggest you replace the whole switch. The relay to the switch is discontinued but a radio shack version is a fit for those who want to take it that far. The control and switch for the wipers with cruise control on it is also discontinued. So you have to buy the one without or have someone who has the knowledge to fix it at the board, relay and wiring. Per the manual after it being the control and switch. It is the wiring harness to check next. The manual just showed me that unlike some of the Lexus’ in the next few years that on this year you have to remove the wheel to get to the switch, and that I had checked in the right order this far. The rest was my “research” no bibliography attached. Thanks for those that helped.

easy there turbo, you may have a haynes manual but you apparently don't have your FSM (Factory Service Manual, the one toyota made to give to the dealership service departments when the vehicle came out). Which is a free download from the link in my signature.

Since most all of us know the FSM from front to back we know that had you researched it you would have found all of the component locations, all of the wiring connection locations, and the fact that there is no separate relay of which you speak of. The relay is contained within the switch. I litterally have no idea what random relay you pulled and replaced with a radio shack 4pin POS.

So when you are coming for advice and choose not to listen you cant expect us not to give you some grief. What's more frustrating for me to see is that I recently spent 8 hours of tedious work compiling and bookmarking the 93-94 FSM to help people like you find this s*** faster and easier. Allow me to illustrate.

Narrated from the perspective of a 1st time user.
Wow look on the left! this is neat. I guess I'll find what part of the car is the issue and click on it... Voila look at that. took me right to the combo switch.

Oh golly if I look at and process the words on this page I'll see that there are simple test that I can conduct on the connector to see if the switch is actually faulty. Boy this is just swell.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.27.46 PM.png

Man, I wish there was an electrical wiring diagram. How will I find the phantom relay to replace? Oh wait there is an electrical section in the bookmarks, let's check that. Well, what do you know there's a section on the wipers how convenient.
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.29.55 PM.png

Ok well, I see the front wiper and washer switch is labeled C15 bet that's important, and each wire is numbered where it enters the image, hmm wonder if that corresponds to anything, let's scroll around. Oh look here is a connector labeled C15 with numbers in it, I bet if I check on my car the numbered slots will have the same colored wires in them as shown in the previous image
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.30.30 PM.png

But how on earth could I possibly locate this connector, my vehicle has thousands of connectors, is it in the rear quarter panel how on earth can I figure this out. If only there was, oh look a page with parts locations listed and there's a page reference for the connector C15! Wow must be my lucky day
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.31.16 PM.png

Holy Christ, it's a Christmas miracle! would you look at that, there is a page at the beginning of this section with part locations on it! Wowee!!! And what do you know?! on Page 23 there's C15! Gee Golly isn't this great.
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.42.06 PM.png

So point is, we know what we are talking about, take some humble pie and learn something. We all started knowing nothing and learned from others, its ok to acknowledge that your original research was wrong. Because unless you come to terms with that, then you've already put up a barrier in your head, declared yourself as smarter than others and you will forever be making mistakes.

Last edited:
Hey me again, I was just so excited to learn how to navigate the FSM that I wanted to share this image showing all of the wiper system component locations!

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 12.00.09 AM.png

I think the relay is this mystical baton magic that gets passed around all the time by people who always seem to be running from something

relay_race_baton_91795766-56a97d303df78cf772a7769c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom