1993 FZJ80 startup problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had the exact problem with mine. I changed the starter relay, and it still happens. Sometime I have to turn the key 10 times to have it started. Get a hammer tap on your starter motor, not to soft though. If it starts then it’s the starter motor. I changed my starter motor and now haven’t had that problem. The click should be coming from the solenoid of the starter itself.

I tried hitting the starter, no luck. I think at this point I'll change the fusible links and see what happens. If it still happens new battery cables and starter. And I'm still looking for some kind of anti theft device tucked in there somewhere.

I tried hitting the starter, no luck. I think at this point I'll change the fusible links and see what happens. If it still happens new battery cables and starter. And I'm still looking for some kind of anti theft device tucked in there somewhere.
Check your fuses with a test light. With the key in run. If you don't have power to the efi fuse then your fusible link is bad. Either way replace it.

Yep, the fusible links are getting changed. They should arrive today and I bought a spare. I'll try that test if the problem happens again. Thanks

Here's what's under the driver side dash. What I think I'm looking at is the ABS ECU,Relay box and Cruise control ECU. Does any of that look like an anti theft device ?
VUiKrhbhTCaAtH%dH6xlvg.jpg
68YfafRCQuunZDqLZOqBbg.jpg
sknvLpRAR4qc8Wrq4gaArw.jpg

Here's what's under the driver side dash. What I think I'm looking at is the ABS ECU,Relay box and Cruise control ECU. Does any of that look like an anti theft device ?View attachment 2411226View attachment 2411228View attachment 2411229
The port added "factory" one is under the driver's seat.

There is a "SRS" plug with a light in the dash. Could be left of the steering wheel or next to the hazard button on the dash.

If you find a square module under the seat, pull the seat, then systematically pull the module and trace EACH wire back to a connector. Unplug that set of connectors and replug the now free connectors together.

I had a grey wire that ran across under the dash from the left kick panel to above the glove box. I didn't know where it attached until I removed the console, glove box, and section below the steering wheel Turns out that wire was just an antenna wire for the FOB.

While I had it all apart, I repurposed a hazard switch into a CDL switch, did the Pin 7 Mod, replaced my firewall boot on the steering column. All of this took me about 6 hours taking my time. My CDL switch is now where the alarm light used to be.

What you could also be looking for is a random button or toggle switch that seems NOT factory or is mounted through a kick panel or under the dash. It's an alarm bypass used for valet service. This would all be from an aftermarket alarm added by a PO.

I don;t see anything in your pics specifically denoting anything alarm related, but that's not to say there's not a port added alarm in that harness. It is done very well and is very factory looking.

I've looked under the seats, nothing there and I don't have anything except blanks in those areas. Definitely nothing with a light. I'll keep poking around but I don't think this truck has any anti theft device. I don't see how it would be activated.

The new fusible links are installed. When I popped open the junction box it wasn't pretty in there. I'm glad I bought a new one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom