1993 1FZ-FE complete drivetrain into 1989 FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will a 1993 and up FZJ80 drivetrain swap 'easily' into a FJ62? The donor is free and complete so there would be no issue for rounding up parts and pieces to make it complete while the FJ62 is without an engine/trans/transfer...
I believe the AWD transfer case of the FZJ80 can be modified to the part time setup so that it is similar in setup to the old split transfer that is gone...

Anyone that did/done/tried this?

Define "easily"

How good are you at wiring/welding/fabrication?

I guess what I am getting at is that they are 'similar' in length, output drop, etc.. and would be easier (and a lot cheaper since it is free to me) than a TBI V-8 swap and a ton cheaper than the 5.3/4l60e swap...

I know of someone who did this, but he is not on MUD and don't think he documented the swap.. I think he used a 1997 into a 1989. With a Full time 4wd tc.

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

figure it would be easier than a V8 swap. keep full time trans and case to keep it simple or else you'll get into that whackey world of adapters and non US trannies(scary thought). it will NOT be a drop-in, bolts-right-up project...

figure it would be easier than a V8 swap. keep full time trans and case to keep it simple or else you'll get into that whackey world of adapters and non US trannies(scary thought). it will NOT be a drop-in, bolts-right-up project...

Are the engine mounts and trans/transfer mount located in the same position as the 3FE? When you mention non-US trannies, what do you mean?

it's a can o worms...you could maybe find a non US flywheel, clutch, bellhousing and manual transmission and a part time tcase, but it is a can of worms. If you are alright to use the fzj80 auto trans and full time case, it'll be easier. The mounts I have no idea about- as I said it will NOT drop right in or bolt right up...if you aren't up for relocating mounts and fabbing parts as needed, you'll need to find someone who can, or give in on this...it will be easier IMO than a V8, but it is still a motor swap; asking how easy it will be is like asking how long is chinese...

Yes, was thinking about the whole thing... Engine, auto trans, and full time transfer WITH the part time kit installed.... Seems like it would be fairly easy as the 93+ drivetrain fits right in the same style body from 1991-1992 of which those use the engine/trans that are in the FJ62 1988-1990.

you could find the chassis drawings of the fj80 and the fzj80 and see what their diffs are regarding the mounts for the drivetrain

I cannot do the writeup of the conversion as it was done by a friend in South Africa .
It is a 1FZ-FE with H55F using the OEM ECU and harness .
Writeup can be found on "Land Cruiser club of South Africa" but you need to register on the site to see it and ask questions of the conversion

Not to do it. Sold that one and bought another!
Did you find out in your research if could just swap the engines, 3FE for the 1F, I’d keep the 440 t-case in it…. I’m curious if I’d need any other type of mod to make the engine work with FJ62 drive train. Thanks, if anyone knows!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom