Builds 1992 LJ78 build/refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thats pretty darn hot! And it's normally aspirated... Crazy.
No lie. That's super hot for a NA diesel. Something else must be going on.

Yup, and I did my best to eliminate all the usual suspects before finally ditching the Evans. When it comes down to it, the specific heat capacity of a pure glycol based coolant is something like 60% of a conventional mix. If there isn't that much margin in the cooling system, it's going to run at a hotter temp with the waterless stuff no matter what.

Restricted flow somewhere in the system?

Radiator was plugged. Got it re-cored and that kept the temps down for normal driving but I could still get to 110+ on the hill up to Park City. No change with a Tridon tstat, but it does add about 1/8" to the orifice diameter over OEM :meh:. The viscosity of waterless coolant is a bit thicker than a 50/50 mix so that's going to impact flow somewhat.

That's all moot at this point, since the truck doesn't budge from 88 C with Toyota red in it. I might try Evans again in my 3B, which has a much bigger cooling system than the little Hilux.

Sorry to derail this thread :flipoff2:

No worries. This thread is a long meandering mess anyway.
And, if the Toyota Red does the trick, that's the right answer then.
It's just a strange series of circumstances.

Since getting the truck back together, I have developed a turbo whine. I need to pull it in and make sure I don't have a leak, but it doesn't sound like a leak at all. Sounds like a compressor wheel whining. I didn't really check the turbo out when I had it apart since I have had my hands on it so many times and had never seen any impeller play. I suppose I could have gotten a bit of debris in it with it sitting around for a few weeks in my shop. It was covered up sitting on a cart for most of that time, but anything is possible.
I suspect I will be the next in line trying out a shiny Chinese turbo.

Hopefully it's just a leak. I've had leaks a number of times after working on my engine. Some have sounded pretty strange!

I had bought a fuel filter/primer about a year ago. I unfortunately lost it when I moved. It will show up at some point.
Anyway, after the head replacement I had developed an air leak I couldn't pin down and decided to swap out the primer.
I ordered this one from Amazon. Perfect fit, fuel lines are correct size plus comes with a filter and new water level float. Plug needs swapped out to fit your harness. But, It was a really good deal. $39.50 USD

Can't get the Amazon link to work. But search this part number and it will come up: B06XX5QQPT

Last edited:
Best way to use the throttle knob is to depress the pedal until you are at the rpm you want then adjust clockwise until it meets resistance and holds rpms there. Then it's easy to dial it CCW to adjust rpms down.

Makes morning warm up easy. I don't even sit in the truck...I make sure it's in neutral, turn the key with my left hand and hold the accel pedal down with my right. Get rpms where you want, turn knob to hold it there, then go inside and make coffee. When the coffees done in a few minutes I come out and the truck is warm and the windshield is clear and I dial it down to a regular idle.

I should say my truck is RHD. Would be less convenient with LHD.

Where is the throttle knob? I have an LJ78 that I just bought. There is a knob missing right to the lower left of the pre heat light. is this it?

Where is the throttle knob? I have an LJ78 that I just bought. There is a knob missing right to the lower left of the pre heat light. is this it?

Yep, that’s the hole. I’d snap a photo of mine except I’ve removed it for the time being.

This is what you are looking for. Just goes down the the accelerator pedal with a cable.

2020-03-08 19.32.23.jpg

I get mine from www.back40imports.com but there are several places in the states where you can get them. I even found a Napa filter that worked, but it was the same price as a genuine Toyota filter and I’d much rather use those.

Genuine Toyota 90915-30002 Oil Filter
There's your part number. I have even found them on Amazon with free shipping on occasion. I think that's where I got the last one.
NAPA got my last air filter. I will look around and see if I can find the part number.

After much deliberation and back and forth, I am selling the truck. I just do not hardly drive it anymore and it's just sitting. I have already ruined one $300.00 battery by forgetting to keep it on the trickle charger.

After much deliberation and back and forth, I am selling the truck. I just do not hardly drive it anymore and it's just sitting. I have already ruined one $300.00 battery by forgetting to keep it on the trickle charger.

Good luck with your sale Kris! Hope it goes to a good home. Such a great build.

Thanks Nick., I appreciate that. For some reason the Toyota just never made me love it. I like the truck, and since it's all dialed in, it a good driver. I just don't seem to have any real attachment to it.
Now, that stupid air leak is about to drive me bonkers. About 2 months ago the first Chinese primer pump starting puking diesel out around the knob when I pumped it, so thought, that's going to be the cause. Installed a new one, same damn thing.
This weekend I replaced all the soft lines. They have obviously been on and off and moved around a lot with all my work. Pulled the intake off and retorqued all my return line nuts. I am still not sure on those. I am a little afraid to really torque on them more and wonder if that's my air leak. I have considered replacing all the crush washers on those.
#4 was really the only one I got any movement out of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom