For Sale 1991 FJ80 Southern Survivor No Rust 127k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD

20171006_180335-L.jpg

This story started as the classic “Little Old Lady Down the Street” vehicle. I live in a nice, older neighborhood with a bunch of original home-owners now in their 70’s. There are a few vehicles in people’s driveways that I have a standing agreement with my wife that I can buy at any time if they come up for sale. This was one of them.

It was originally owned for a couple of years locally, but not in my neighborhood. It was then purchased by a doctor in my neighborhood and used for weekend duties, small boat launching, etc. It never saw snow, never saw dirt. When he died, their next door neighbor picked it up as a third vehicle to travel out into western virginia on weekends. These folks then bought a Highlander and preferred long trips in that, so the LC was sitting covered and unused.

I bought it here in Virginia, it is titled in Virginia, but I had it shipped to Maine as I intended to do an LS swap over the winter with my brother’s help in his shop up there. It is not in any way a northern truck, but it is currently on the Maine coast.

All that said as background, here are the details:

1991 FJ80 with 127k original miles.

• 3FE runs flawlessly, no smoke on startup.

• Auto trans shifts smoothly and works without issue. New pan seal and fluid change.

• No body or frame rust. In the pics, there is some minimal rust of the hitch receiver, as I believe boats were occasionally launched.

• AC was converted to r134, and recently had a complete vacuum and refill, works without issue.

• Windows all function but are slow, tracks will need a cleaning.

• Interior is in great shape, minor foam height loss and a split seam on the side of the driver’s seat. Carpet is great. Third row seats are there and bagged up, perhaps unused, I never pulled them out.

• All gauges work as they should.

• Paint is in excellent condition, with 2 exceptions. There is a single spot on the rear passenger roof where the paint cracked and the po attempted to seal with epoxy. The paint is not raised or bubbling, but this should be addressed. There is a new dent on the rear upper hatch, done within the last year so no rust.

• No factory roof rack to worry about rust.

This is truly a time capsule and a genuine survivor. I bought it on principle, and meant to give it a complete refresh and a modern engine.

What have I done to it:

• Changed out the engine oil, trans, transfer case, and front/rear diff fluids
  • Complete coolant flush, all works without issue including the heater.
  • New Alternator
  • Replaced the original coils with OME stock height kit and fresh OEM shocks

• Replaced the 15” original wheels with a refreshed and repainted 1994 16” set in preparation for larger brakes (see below)

• Currently has near-new 285/75 Goodyear Duratracs x 4.

• ARB roof rack, not installed in the pics but included with the sale

My plan and goal for this truck was to update the parts of the 1991 that are inferior to the later 1993 and up. That means larger front brakes and the rear axle (plus the Vortec swap). Here is what I have acquired for that and will be included in the sale but uninstalled:

• All new OEM components for the larger front brakes, 1997 part numbers. This was acquired from Onur (Beno on the site, if unaware search and you will see he is the master). Longer soft center line in case the lift increased, soft brake lines, backing plates, rotors, brake pads. No brake calipers, available at Napa as the eclipse brand or Onur has either toyota reman or OEM.

• Complete front axle major rebuild kit from cruiseroutfitters, all seals, bearings, etc to do the knuckles and birfs. Around $250 for this.

• I have a completely rust free rear axle from a 1997 Lexus. This was shipped from southern california. This is complete, hub to hub with calipers, good slotted rotors, and the complete e-brake cable. Everything to convert to the full float/disc axle. I have a new rear bearing set for this as well.

• Larger diameter drag link for increased strength offroad

• Battery box and hold down from a 1994 to install dual battery set-up.
  • Some miscellaneous parts like an e-brake handle (current is worn), driver door hinges (current have some wear at the pins), other stuff I’m forgetting.

Why sell and not complete the project? Excellent question, and I am still asking myself. It’s a long distance project, which is challenging. I already have a built 2006 Jeep LJ for rock crawling duties, so after thinking about this for awhile I am leaning toward building a 100 series instead of this 80. In reality, I would like to do both.

In the end, this is a true rust-free, southern, low-mileage survivor. With a little labor and no need to source parts, it becomes the equivalent of the later model vehicles with the bulletproof though admittedly underpowered 3fe. Drive it another 200k miles. Or, it’s an outstanding LS swap contender without OBDII or the need for any body or paint work. You could sell the 3fe and A440f and get more than enough cash to buy the late model LS gear.

All inclusive price, $8000. The axle is still crated from its California journey, so if you flew and drove I will include fastenal shipping anywhere Conus to get it home for you. The rest would fit in the truck. Since it is a great survivor, if you wanted to keep it all original, I also have the 15” wheels that I’ll include in the asking price.

As it came home on purchase day. Current wheels and tires as above in the first pic
610_9856-L.jpg

610_9796-L.jpg

610_9791-L.jpg
610_9857-L.jpg
610_9860-L.jpg

610_9854-L.jpg

610_9867-L.jpg
610_9864-L.jpg

610_9842-L.jpg

More Pics: 1991 Land Cruiser - navydivedoc

Last edited:
610_9804-L.jpg
610_9811-L.jpg
610_9812-L.jpg
610_9825-L.jpg
610_9829-L.jpg
610_9841-L.jpg
610_9851-L.jpg
610_9850-L.jpg
20171006_180314-L.jpg

I seem to be limited in my number of pics, but there are more. Thanks.
NDD

Yes, everything is located in Maine.

VIN: JT3FJ80W8M0027712

Sold Pending funds

Sold this afternoon. Staying in Maine. For future reference, value calculations and arguing with insurance adjusters that KBB is meaningless: I sold this to a family friend at a slight discount, $7800 with a few parts left to me that should bring the total net to $8000. Judging by the amount of interest, I would say the $8500 asking price was right at the market, and this would have sold by next week at full price. Thanks all. Next up, 03+ 100.

Marks adapter will be up for sale if anyone wants it. The underappreciated 4.8 and 4l60 as well, if someone wants a package deal.

I think your asking price was very fair. I was wanting to jump on it, but really wanted a 1fz as opposed to the 3fe. My search continues, but somebody got what appeared to be a really nice rig with some good parts.

So, through various life circumstances and a divorce for the guy that bought this from me, I am now in possession of this FJ80 once more.

I was happy to get it back, and I have been planning on a bit of a resto-mod. But, as before, the truck is in Maine while I remain in Virginia. It's tucked away for the winter, still having not seen a salty road. I really can't do anything to it. I have too many cars and projects as it is. I helped the prior owner out, but in truth I just don't have time to deal with this so I am putting it back up for sale.

I'll drop the price a bit from the prior sale due to a few more miles and a small new dent, $8000. Improvements since you saw the last ad: New Alternator. Revamp and refill of the AC system which now works perfectly. Radiator flush and fill. Fixed the trans pan seal leak. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor. New bearing set for the full-float rear axle.

Things I have purchased since the last ad, available but not included at this price
  • Underdrive gear set for the transfer case. This is a 10% UD, will return the gearing to stock with the 33" tires.
  • Nomad valve body for the A440f. Locking torque converter in 3rd gear, crisper shifts.
  • LRA 24 gallon aux tank assembly
  • Landcruiserphil sliders. Low profile.
  • Some spares like an extra ECU, intake with Fuel injectors, exhaust manifold.
Basically, I gave up on the LS conversion and decided to see if I could truly maximize the 3fe set up in a truck that deserved to stay original. I'm happy to discuss a package deal for all if your interests are similar, otherwise I will sell these parts after the truck sells.

As before, this is a very clean southern survivor. Admittedly it has the underpowered but bulletproof 3fe, so it is not the perfect survivor. It will make someone a great truck, I just don't have the time now.

A point came up via PM. I had this listed as titled in Virginia. Since I sold it, it became a Maine vehicle. Maine does not title vehicles made prior to 1995, so this will be sold with a Maine MVT 16 transfer of ownership and a bill of sale. This is legal and standard in Maine, and generally not an issue with an out of state purchase, but please check with your local DMV to be certain. Also, I was asked for pics of the spot on the roof and the hatch dent. I have 2 poor cell phone pics of the hatch. i will get better shots of each from my brother. Here is what I have for now. I realize they are terrible, but it's the best I can do tonight. Plus, proof that the rack exists.

FJ80%20rear2-XL.jpg

FJ80%20rear1-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice 80. If I didn’t have a 100, I’d be all over this and bring it back home to Va. I’m going to pass this on to a buddy north of Charlottesville; he may jump on it.

All the parts that went with it in the original sale back in 2017, are they now installed on this 80 series? If not are the long gone or do they still come with the truck?

The parts in question;

• All new OEM components for the larger front brakes, 1997 part numbers. This was acquired from Onur (Beno on the site, if unaware search and you will see he is the master). Longer soft center line in case the lift increased, soft brake lines, backing plates, rotors, brake pads. No brake calipers, available at Napa as the eclipse brand or Onur has either toyota reman or OEM.

• Complete front axle major rebuild kit from cruiseroutfitters, all seals, bearings, etc to do the knuckles and birfs. Around $250 for this.

• I have a completely rust free rear axle from a 1997 Lexus. This was shipped from southern california. This is complete, hub to hub with calipers, good slotted rotors, and the complete e-brake cable. Everything to convert to the full float/disc axle. I have a new rear bearing set for this as well.

• Larger diameter drag link for increased strength offroad

• Battery box and hold down from a 1994 to install dual battery set-up.
  • Some miscellaneous parts like an e-brake handle (current is worn), driver door hinges (current have some wear at the pins), other stuff I’m forgetting.
Very nice early 80 series and tempting me quite a bit...

Thanks.

All parts as described still come with the truck. Guy that bought it from me did the various items that are new like the AC system, coolant refresh, alternator, etc. He was not concerned about doing the upgrades right away, so the parts sat and came back to me with the vehicle.

Other upgrade parts (valve body, underdrive, LRA) are recently purchased. I would be quite interested in having the upgraded valve body go with the truck, mainly because I need to send a core back for the core refund. That will be challenging when the truck is gone. I would be happy to have it installed before the truck left.

I have a private shipper who lives down the road in Maine who I trust completely and charges very fair rates. Truck is certainly driveable, though it is deep in salt season in Maine.

Pm sent

Headlight washers!?!?!?!? I have an HDJ-80 of the same vintage, and I don't have them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom