1991 3FE Smoking Badly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, I need some help with my 3FE. Its smoking white sweet smoke really badly. Ill start with a story for context.

Wife and I drove her 80 series out to Sequim WA from Tacoma WA, about 117 miles one way. It was our first long drive in the Cruiser. Id finally finished my list of tune up and repair items after purchasing this thing at the end of this summer, and we thought it would be a good shake down trip. It was running SO well! Shifting smooth with good acceleration and no hesitation or anything. I was really really happy with it after putting so much time and money into it. The entire trip I was checking gauges to make sure the engine was happy. Normal amps, temp, and pressure the whole time. Then half way back on our way home at about 8pm there is a big BOOOM and lots of steam comes poring out of the hood. I was in the far right lane already doing 60, and pulled over quickly. My wife and I both checked the temp gauge seconds after the explosion and both saw it was still normal. When we were pulled over, I popped the hood and found that the large top radiator hose was completely shredded. Had to sign up for AAA on the spot and get a tow home.

Such a huge disappointment. Iv never seen a coolant hose explode like that with no warning of over heating before it went bad.

So then I replaced the hose, refilled the coolant and tried to burp the system. There was a tone of pressure coming out of the radiator as I was burping it. A few minutes after the engine reached operating temp, something happened. The engine started running badly and shooting large clouds of white smoke. I shut it off, and went inside to curse my life and have a drink, assuming the head gasket had taken a HUGE s***.

So this weekend I ripped the head off and replaced the head gasket. Cleaned all the surfaces very well with a razor blade and a flat 600 grit diamond stone. I also replaced the thermostat, water pump, more hoses, a few of the sensors in the thermostat housing, and all associated gaskets.

The 3FE started back up on the second crank easily. Runs well, but still makes a lot of white smoke.
Working all weekend and spending hundreds of dollars only to find the piece of s*** still shoots white smoke makes me want to light this truck on fire.

Any ideas about what could be causing it to smoke? Any other possible causes I just don't know about because I'm new to the 3FE? I read something about a oil cooler that could be an issue...?

I'm probobly going to take it in to my local shop to have them take a look at it, and spend money I don't have right now.

Alright, I need some help with my 3FE. Its smoking white sweet smoke really badly. Ill start with a story for context.

Wife and I drove her 80 series out to Sequim WA from Tacoma WA, about 117 miles one way. It was our first long drive in the Cruiser. Id finally finished my list of tune up and repair items after purchasing this thing at the end of this summer, and we thought it would be a good shake down trip. It was running SO well! Shifting smooth with good acceleration and no hesitation or anything. I was really really happy with it after putting so much time and money into it. The entire trip I was checking gauges to make sure the engine was happy. Normal amps, temp, and pressure the whole time. Then half way back on our way home at about 8pm there is a big BOOOM and lots of steam comes poring out of the hood. I was in the far right lane already doing 60, and pulled over quickly. My wife and I both checked the temp gauge seconds after the explosion and both saw it was still normal. When we were pulled over, I popped the hood and found that the large top radiator hose was completely shredded. Had to sign up for AAA on the spot and get a tow home.

Such a huge disappointment. Iv never seen a coolant hose explode like that with no warning of over heating before it went bad.

So then I replaced the hose, refilled the coolant and tried to burp the system. There was a tone of pressure coming out of the radiator as I was burping it. A few minutes after the engine reached operating temp, something happened. The engine started running badly and shooting large clouds of white smoke. I shut it off, and went inside to curse my life and have a drink, assuming the head gasket had taken a HUGE s***.

So this weekend I ripped the head off and replaced the head gasket. Cleaned all the surfaces very well with a razor blade and a flat 600 grit diamond stone. I also replaced the thermostat, water pump, more hoses, a few of the sensors in the thermostat housing, and all associated gaskets.

The 3FE started back up on the second crank easily. Runs well, but still makes a lot of white smoke.
Working all weekend and spending hundreds of dollars only to find the piece of s*** still shoots white smoke makes me want to light this truck on fire.

Any ideas about what could be causing it to smoke? Any other possible causes I just don't know about because I'm new to the 3FE? I read something about a oil cooler that could be an issue...?

I'm probobly going to take it in to my local shop to have them take a look at it, and spend money I don't have right now.
You probably filled the exhaust with coolant when it blew. So, as the exhaust burns it out, it should get lighter.

Did it run ok after the rebuild or did you still have a miss?

Did you have the head crack checked and maybe replace the Valve seals?

Well that sucks! But awesome work taking care of it yourself. I would guess you are as good as any shop around if you swapped a head in a weekend. I agree with @BILT4ME that your exhaust might be full of coolant if it was in fact your head gasket failing. How long have you ran it since the rebuild? How’s the engine running?

You probably filled the exhaust with coolant when it blew. So, as the exhaust burns it out, it should get lighter.

Did it run ok after the rebuild or did you still have a miss?

Did you have the head crack checked and maybe replace the Valve seals?
It runs great after the rebuild. Just smoky. l'll drive it to work tomorrow and see if the smoke goes away after a while.
I don't have time to get the head to a machine shop sadly. We need two cars to get to work. I think I'm going to have my local shop do a leak down test and see if there is still a leak. I tested it with one of those chemical coolant sniffers that changes colors if there are exhaust gasses, but couldn't get a solid result. Maybe old testing fluid.

Well that sucks! But awesome work taking care of it yourself. I would guess you are as good as any shop around if you swapped a head in a weekend. I agree with @BILT4ME that your exhaust might be full of coolant if it was in fact your head gasket failing. How long have you ran it since the rebuild? How’s the engine running?
Iv rebuilt a few engines. BMW M20 6 cylinder, 22re, LQ9, and now this 3FE. The 3FE is a lot like the LQ9. Not having to pull a cam out to take a head off is nice.
Engines running well, just smoky. Hopefully it clear up tomorrow.

Does the radiator still build a lot of pressure after you replaced the head?

I'm happy to report that the issue resolved its self. Most likely just like you guys said, there was a s*** load of coolant in the exhaust that needed to burn off. Drove it to work this morning and by the time I was heading home there wasn't any smoke anymore. Soooooo revealed.

@PNWGERMAN said (he was) "Soooooo revealed"

Glad your repair worked out, but please keep your face on. I think most of us would be relieved if you did. ;)

Last edited:
I had a W11 MINI in the shop once that had loose head bolts and pushed a bunch of coolant into the cat while cranking and trying to get it to start. That car smoked white for at least 100 miles. The cats absorbed a ton of coolant. Eventually it stopped smoking.

If the car runs fine, I'd monitor the coolant levels and run it for a while.

Edit: you fixed it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom