1991 3FE Idler Pulley question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished replacing the power steering pump. What a pain in the butt. In case anyone cares, you have to remove the PS pulley before you remove the pump, there's simply no way around it.
Anyway, I got it replaced and put everything back together, threaded the belt back on, and started it up. Everything seemed fine, the noises and leaks are gone, and all was good in the world again, but then I noticed that the idler pulley at the bottom of the engine isn't spinning. i turned off the engine and felt around. The belt is warm-ish, but not hot to the tough. The idle pulley is too hot to touch, and the power steering pulley is hot also. The idler pulley (the bottom one on the diagram) looked dusty. there was actually dust on the top of it. I wasn't able to spin it. i loosened the tension on the belt, and still couldn't spin it. I put a wrench on the center nut of the idler pulley, and I was able to turn it, but it still wouldn't spin freely as a good pulley should. When I turned it, I saw that the underside of the pulley was much cleaner than the top side. Almost as if it hadn't been turned for years. My belt looked okay. There were cracks, but none too deep.
I don't have one of those fancy tools that tells you if you have the correct tension on a belt, I just grab a crowbar and eyeball it and that's never been a problem, but could it be that the belt needs to be tighter to make the pulley engage? Or maybe the belt was too loose before and that's why there wasn't a problem with friction on a seized pulley?

Capture.JPG

I just replaced this with all of my belts i had to press the old bearing out and press a new one in i got the bearing from napa. The parts guy let me go to the back and go through all the bearings the one i matched was 6301-2zj and i replaced the snap ring as well part 1331. This is my first post I hope it helps you. Also, don't tighten it all the way until you have the belt on an the tension screw adjusted then snug it down just no to tight. Someone, with more expertise could could maybe help you with that. My neighbor is a semi mechanic and he said 15-20.

For those that are still trying to keep your 3FEs as original as possible, here is some info on rebuilding the idler pulley.

This is the pulley that sits below the PS pump, and above and to the right of the AC compressor. This pulley is not "required", as you can run the engine without it, but I like to think Toyota placed it there for a reason, so I will continue to rock it. Rebuilding it was easy and cheap.

Picture of pulley (was previously seized, wear mark on the pulley is where belt was rubbing)

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.19.44 PM.png

This pulley is rebuildable. Just need two 6301 bearings, and a press. Press the old bearings out:

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.19.29 PM.png

Once new bearings are installed/pressed in, I did some tiny tack welds to keep retainer in place. Be sure to avoid pumping a ton of heat into the new bearings, and damaging them.

New Nachi 6301NSE Bearings pressed in:

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.26.04 PM.png

Tacks to hold retainer plate on (aka, mini boogers):

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.25.51 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom