1990 Toyota pickup 22r won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
recently bought a 1990 Toyota pickup with the 22R with a blown head gasket. I replaced the head gasket and all necessary gaskets along with the repair. I had the head pressure tested to confirm no cracks or warpage. I adjusted the valves after torquing the head bolts. When I try to start it, it turns over for 10-15 seconds and finally starts to run with the pedal to the floor. It will run for about 15-20 seconds with the pedal on the floor constantly sputtering then die. It takes starting fluid to get that much out of it. When I changed the head gasket I left the timing chain intact and didn’t change anything there. With the #1 piston on TDC the rotor button is lined up with #1 on the distributor cap. Therefore I don’t think I have a timing issue. I have plenty of spark on all cylinders. It ran fine before I started working on it. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated

recently bought a 1990 Toyota pickup with the 22R with a blown head gasket. I replaced the head gasket and all necessary gaskets along with the repair. I had the head pressure tested to confirm no cracks or warpage. I adjusted the valves after torquing the head bolts. When I try to start it, it turns over for 10-15 seconds and finally starts to run with the pedal to the floor. It will run for about 15-20 seconds with the pedal on the floor constantly sputtering then die. It takes starting fluid to get that much out of it. When I changed the head gasket I left the timing chain intact and didn’t change anything there. With the #1 piston on TDC the rotor button is lined up with #1 on the distributor cap. Therefore I don’t think I have a timing issue. I have plenty of spark on all cylinders. It ran fine before I started working on it. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated
This is a carburetor model? Not a fuel injected 22RE?

Make sure any and all grounds are hooked back up and make sure all the vacuum lines are installed. Also make sure your fuel tank is not empty, I've seen folks not have fuel in their tank and think there is a major problem.

Cody

This is a carburetor model? Not a fuel injected 22RE?
Yes it is a carburetor model. Thank you for your reply. I should have got back on here to post what I found. Upon further inspection I found vacuum lines off the bvsv. After I hooked it up it fired up but sounded sick. Had the rotate the distributor one tooth. Now it is running fine.

Yes it is a carburetor model. Thank you for your reply. I should have got back on here to post what I found. Upon further inspection I found vacuum lines off the bvsv. After I hooked it up it fired up but sounded sick. Had the rotate the distributor one tooth. Now it is running fine.
Awesome. Glad you got it sorted. Good luck

Thanks for coming back and telling us about your fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom