1990 Mitsubishi Fuso 4D31 diesel engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope some of you knowledgeable members can help me out. I'm looking at a 4D31 Mitsubishi engine that came out of a 1990 Fuso to swap into my '85 Toyota 4x4. I understand that it spits oil out of the valve cover breather under heavy sustained loads. Does anybody know what the cause and remedy would be for this? Also, does anyone have any specs on this engine such as weight, horse power, etc.?
I thank you for your knowledge.

If vague advice is any use .. some Toyota diesels have a splash guard in the valve cover to stop excessive oil entering the breather hose.. its not uncommon to have to adjust the angle on these to stop excessive oil being lost..

Maybe the valve cover on the engine you've referenced can be tweaked this way?

Well, that gives me somewhere to start if I do go with this engine. I've been trying to find some specs on it but can't seem to find the right sight. All that the owner could tell me is that it is all mechanical which is one thing I am looking for.
Thanks again for your 2 cents worth, duncanrm.

1985 pick up. I guess this is called a mini? It's a 4 wheel drive that did have the r22 engine in it. Since someone stole the radiator, carb, intake, head and what ever else they could lift and take for scrape when the truck was left unattended one day, I figured what better time than to drop a diesel down in her.

That’s a massive engine for that. It will be akin to doing a 4bt swap size wise and will probably require way more money than getting all the stock stuff back. If you’re really wanting a diesel, I’d consider the 4 cylinder Hilux versions, but they aren’t known to be reliable. You could also consider an engine/tranny/tcase combo off eBay of one of the Isuzu diesels that came in the Bighorn or Wizard, I think.

Or you could look at the MB OM617. Proven swap and plentiful. Adapters etc. available out there. Tough engine.

A mechanical injection Toyota 2LT-II would be almost bolt in. But you'd probably want to put a new cylinder head on if it hasn't been done already.... They can be a fine engine with the new cylinder head part number and a bit of tuning.

I keep looking for some of these other engines mentioned and either can't find them or are way out of my price range to purchase.

Mjosoba, you say that's a massive engine. Do you happen to know how much it weighs? I know the 22r weighed in between 250-350 lbs. I want to stay close to that weight so as not to overload the front axle.

I keep looking for some of these other engines mentioned and either can't find them or are way out of my price range to purchase.

Mjosoba, you say that's a massive engine. Do you happen to know how much it weighs? I know the 22r weighed in between 250-350 lbs. I want to stay close to that weight so as not to overload the front axle.

From the web it sounds like it's 3.3l displacement and makes about 100hp. I can't see an engine like that being too heavy. It is direct in jection. Could be a decent little motor. What transmission etc. would you use?

oh. and I believe the MB OM617 is a 5 cylinder diesel which I really can't see fitting in the engine compartment of the 85 truck, but I do appreciate the come back and giving me some other options to look at.

oh. and I believe the MB OM617 is a 5 cylinder diesel which I really can't see fitting in the engine compartment of the 85 truck, but I do appreciate the come back and giving me some other options to look at.
It does fit, but you need to do some trimming up around the front clip. There are adapters that are readily available to mate the stock Toyota transmission to the OM617. Do some google searching and you'll find several threads with lots of pics

if I could connect it to the 4 speed manual that is stock in the truck, that would be nice or maybe a 5 speed somewhere would be better.

Even though the displacement is small, it is a truck engine. It will likely be similar weight to an Isuzu 4BE1 which has similar displacement and sizing. They are around 600+.

My brother in law did a 2L vw tdi swap into his late 90s mini truck. Kept the 5spd, gets 3rd gear rubber and 30mpg. In every way an improvement over the v6. Tons of room for fitment. Donors are everywhere for cheap. I've ridden in it, very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom