1989 FJ62 power window questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

Starting to work on my newly acquired '89 FJ62. The truck sat for 4+ years. I've replaced the master power switch for windows and am going through each window to get it functioning. At this point I've got driver's door window working well. Both rear passenger door windows function but operate very slowly and only move down about 1/3 of the way before slowing down and stopping. Any places I should start looking? I'm assuming the mechanisms are gumed up and need cleaning/lubricant-motors are working but seem overloaded.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian K

Sounds like your Window Runs are dirty or worn. I replaced all the Runs on my 89 last year. OEM parts are still available along with after market. Check out these sites to verify the part number and availability. Plenty of threads on window runs. Do a search and you’ll see what others did to solve the issue.

Window “Runs” Front Doors Weather Strip
RUN, FRONT DOOR GLASS Upper (2 Required)
Part Number 6814190A03
Run, Front Door Glass, Lower (2 Required)
Part Number 68143-90A01
Window “Runs” Rear Doors Weather Strip
RUN, REAR DOOR GLASS
Part Number 6814290A01

By “window runs” do you mean any place where the glass slides up and down? I’ll look into those first.

thx
BK

Hey,

Starting to work on my newly acquired '89 FJ62. The truck sat for 4+ years. I've replaced the master power switch for windows and am going through each window to get it functioning. At this point I've got driver's door window working well. Both rear passenger door windows function but operate very slowly and only move down about 1/3 of the way before slowing down and stopping. Any places I should start looking? I'm assuming the mechanisms are gumed up and need cleaning/lubricant-motors are working but seem overloaded.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian K

Scro-thanks for the re-direct. I'll pour myself one tonight and dig through it.

BK

Cheap and cheerful approach.
This sped up my windows significantly in my 62.
If you go with this options the install steps are in my build thread.

1620332547630.jpeg

Just re-did my doors, the fix outlined in that attached thread is gold. Adding relays to the circuit is a great upgrade. Especially for switches that aren’t getting any younger. Couple the relays with new window runs and it is a night and day difference, also you can put multiple windows up and down without seeing any slow down. It is one of the first things you should do to a FJ62 upon purchase in my opinion.

I would replace the runs and make sure the linkage gets a good cleaning and lubrication first. Cheaper, plus it makes sense to fix what's there before modifying anything.

I've finally accepted that lubricating the linkage is pretty much an annual chore with these old rigs.

Last edited:
By “replace the runs” do folks mean just the vertical tracks in the doors the window slides up and down, or those plus those in the window frame the glass seats in when fully in up position?

By “replace the runs” do folks mean just the vertical tracks in the doors the window slides up and down, or those plus those in the window frame the glass seats in when fully in up position?
Plus window frames

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom