1989 FJ62 Engine Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been doing a little research on pros and cons of an engine swap. I am looking to purchase a very clean FJ62 that doesn't have an engine. The tranny and transmission are both there and functional. Was leaning towards and LS conversion, but it seems replacing it with a reman 3FE may be the best route and the cheapest. I would like to stay under $10K for replacing engine. It seems like I can get a quality reman 3FE for $5 - $5.5K. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reman engines can be real hit or miss in the quality department so hopefully someone on here chimes in with a reputable source. Rebuilding a toyota motor can be a very expensive process especially if you are paying someone else to do everything. Very often when faced with a motor rebuild and the repair estimates roll in....people opt for the V8 swap because it can be done for the same or less money in some cases and give you more modern driving characteristics.

Honestly your best dollar route is to source good used engine and swap it in. I recently picked up a low mile Fj62 for about $1500 once it was at my house. 106,xxx miles and a super clean engine and trans. I'm using the 3Fe, wiring, computer etc for my FJ60 which has a problematic 2F.

if going with a V8 a trans upgrade should also be included. there is extra money
do you know for sure the current trans is good? good used engine is the easy way to go.

I have been doing a little research on pros and cons of an engine swap. I am looking to purchase a very clean FJ62 that doesn't have an engine. The tranny and transmission are both there and functional. Was leaning towards and LS conversion, but it seems replacing it with a reman 3FE may be the best route and the cheapest. I would like to stay under $10K for replacing engine. It seems like I can get a quality reman 3FE for $5 - $5.5K. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
In my experience, it’s very hard to find a cruiser without a motor or trans. Unless it’s total scrap iron.

Plenty out there running like crap with I6 or V8.

Probably easier to find the cruiser you want,(aka no rust) paint quality, interior quality, etc... then plan the engine transplant you desire, selling whatever it came with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom