1988 HJ61 stuck in 4WD… help needed!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I am currentlY camping a few hundred k’s from home and today went on a 4x4 track… I pressed the 4x4 button to engage 4x4. It took a minute or so, but the 4WD light on the dash came on and all was good - until we completed the track and got back to the bitumen… a few hundred metres from the bitumen I pressed the button again to go back to 2wd, but the 4WD light remained illuminated. I have driven about 80km now (with the hubs unlocked) on bitumen, dirt tracks and soft sand - with the 4WD button both pressed and unpressed, but it won’t come out of 4WD… (the front driveshaft won’t turn freely by hand). I have also tried reversing…
I tried swapping the vac lines between the solenoids, and drove for a couple of km like this, with no difference… I sprayed wd40 in both solenoids too….
Is there another way I can disengage 4WD, and if necessary, can I drive the 300km home in 4WD, but with the hubs unlocked?
Any tests I can do? I have a multimeter, and basic tools…
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Drew
Ps - a couple of photos of today and last night…

IMG_3462.jpeg

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

IMG_3422.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

Raise the hood on the left side of the firewall there is a vsv it has 2 small hoses on the front.
Switch the position of the hoses that should shift transfer case back into 2wheel drive if the vsv valve is the problem.
Switch the hoses back for the next time you need 4wheel drive .

With the front hubs unlocked you’re fine to drive home. No damage will occur.

Thankyou IH8mud! You are my go-to for advice, before calling Roadside Assistance! With the worry of an un-locking 4WD system out of the way, we spent today on some very soft tracks! 12psi and 3rd Low was how the day was spent! Some may have seen Ronny Dahl on YouTube - this was Yaegerup Dunes in the South of Western Australia… my camera doesn’t do it justice!!

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3548.jpeg

IMG_3552.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom