1988 FJ62 Brake lights, rear tail lights are not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI all,

I own a 1988 FJ62 and recently had my battery explode while driving the vehicle only to discover I had a bad alternator that was pushing too high a charge (17+volts). I had the alternator and battery replaced but now my brake lights and rear tail lights are not working and when I press on the brakes, my dash lights turn on and remain on until I release the brake. I check all of the fuses and had to replace one and reset the A/C relay but all other fuses are ok.

Other mentionables:

The reverse markers work fine.
The turn signals work fine.
I also did a full LED bulb swap a couple years ago and the only issue I have is the turn signal flashes too quickly but no other issues.
I also replaced the trailer hitch hook up a couple months ago which was pretty gnarly and messed up but have never used it.

I am going to remove the brake lights and possible replace them with incandescent 1157 bulbs to see if this will fix the issue.

I don't know if the power surge (17+volts) caused the issue but I need to get this fixed ASAP as this is my daily driver.

Thanks!

Nathan
Brentwood, TN

I would check your fusible link at the battery to see if it got cooked. After that I’d check the fuses to see if any popped. Then check to see if any of your bulbs got fried.

fusible link
Hi Seth,

What should I be looking for on the fusible link at the battery? Is the the fusible link?

A6384030-F6A4-467B-8D9B-134AAC0341BF.jpeg

Hi Seth,

What should I be looking for on the fusible link at the battery? Is the the fusible link?

View attachment 2848640
Yes those connectors are the fusible link. Inspect the wires and make sure they are not burned up. Pop the connectors and look there too. The wires are designed to fail in a high load scenario so it’s possible yours got damaged with the over voltage.

I bought a set of Sylvania 1157 bulbs and replaced brake light bulbs (which are double filament for brake lights and rear parking lights) and voila… problem solved.

The 17+ volts must have fried the LED bulbs and I’m guessing there is a fail safe built in to inform the driver there is an issue with the rear bulbs (dash board light engage when the brake is applied).

Seth, thank you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom