Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
1988 BJ74

BJ74RV-MNXQ
GRADE: LX: LX TYPE
DESTINATION: ARL: AUSTRALIA
BODY: HT: HARDTOP
DRIVER'S POSITION: RHD: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE
ENGINE: 13BT: 3400CC DIESEL TURBO
FUEL SYSTEM: TD: TURBO DIESEL
BUILDING CONDITION: CBU: COMPLETELY BUILT UNIT

CURRENT PICTURE:

tempImageSdca7N.png

So I bought this from my friend who imported in from australia a few years ago. It's currently getting shipped to me. It's a project that will probably be a slow go for me. Basically the head gasket blew, scored the piston...typical story on these when the head gasket gives. He ordered a full rebuild and piston kit from australia, Engines Australia I believe. New sleeves, bearing, pistons, seals etc. The head has been rebuilt and is ready to go. It basically needs reassembly.

88 BJ74 LX, slightly built
5 Speed
A/C
12 volt
non/suspension seat
vent windows
manual windows
OEM rollbar/seatbelts
Full Floater rear
16" OEM Chrome wheels
Awesome 80's graphics

fun stuff:
ARB bull bar, commercial possibly?
Offroad lights - Narva
ARB lockers front and rear with ARB compressor
Snorkel, I believe OEM with a different top
Lift, not sure if its OME or another aussie brand of lift
Unknown rear bumper, but looks decently built
ARB turbo timer
Flares, FRP
Fiberglass windshield frame, FRP brand

She's a little dusty, I will have better picture once it gets here. Definitely not my first land cruiser by a long shot, but my first 70 series. I will have plenty of questions.

88BJ74.JPG

88BJ742.JPG

88BJ743.JPG

Last edited:
Rear photo, you can see the homemade bumper and super bald spare. Above the light on the drivers....right hand side they is some bodywork started, not sure whats going on there, about to find out.

BJ74rear.jpg

Love my 13BT. Great power and pretty dang good mileage.
My BJ74 is in rough shape body wise, but the engine is strong. Thinking of swapping the 13bt into the 40.

The bullbar does look like a Commercial, same as mine I think.(its cold and dark right now)
The Australian models didnt have the flares with Toyotas fastening system. There is a company in Australia that makes good reproduction FG parts, so they may have come from there.
I havent seen too many with those kind of sidesteps, usually you only see them on cab chassis' or troopys

Love my 13BT. Great power and pretty dang good mileage.
My BJ74 is in rough shape body wise, but the engine is strong. Thinking of swapping the 13bt into the 40.

Yeah excited to get this engine back together and running. I've been reading lots of good things on the 13BT.

The bullbar does look like a Commercial, same as mine I think.(its cold and dark right now)
The Australian models didnt have the flares with Toyotas fastening system. There is a company in Australia that makes good reproduction FG parts, so they may have come from there.
I havent seen too many with those kind of sidesteps, usually you only see them on cab chassis' or troopys

I was wondering if the flares were OEM or not. At this point I don't have the knowledge and haven't looked a bunch to see what the OEM flares look like. Possibly frp.com.au flares?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a commercial, doesn't have the fairlead like the standard ARB's, but this is also a potentially older bullbar so I didn't know for sure.

I wasn't sure if those were factory or dealer footsteps. I'm learning lots. I will find out a whole lot more when it gets here and what I need to do to get it up to snuff.

So I’m pretty sure the head gasket that’s in the kit I’m getting is composite. I would like to get an MLS one and in my research this is what I came up with.

11115-58080

Does that seem like the correct part number for oem MLS head gasket?

Still waiting to get the cruiser. I'm hoping later this week.

I've decided to replace the following for the cooling system...am I missing anything?

Waterpump
Radiator Cap
Thermostat
Upper coolant hose
Lower coolant hose
bypass hose

So I’m pretty sure the head gasket that’s in the kit I’m getting is composite. I would like to get an MLS one and in my research this is what I came up with.

11115-58080

Does that seem like the correct part number for oem MLS head gasket?

Hmm. I ordered 11115-58110 for my head gasket I hope I’m not wrong haha

For 13BT head gaskets are
11115-58050 - for BJ7x with 1.6 thickness
11115-58110 - for DYNA
Now the real question is what’s the difference between the two? And which may be superior to the other

Edit: it looks like 58050 turns into 58110. Don’t quote me though haha

For 13BT head gaskets are
11115-58050 - for BJ7x with 1.6 thickness
11115-58110 - for DYNA

11115-58080 - head gasket for 3B with 1.5 thickness

So the correct one would be 11115-58050 for a stock 13bt? Assuming bigger for less compression because of turbo?

Hmm. Now I feel like I got the wrong one

Yeah I think you got the correct one. 11115-58110 can substitute 11115-58050.

@cruiserdan does 11115-58110 seem like the correct headgasket for the 13BT?

The kit I have has a headgasket, but I don't believe it is an MLS style headgasket which is why I'd like to get an OEM one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom