1987 with roof rust - possible purchase. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need other brains to look at this situation. Mine doesn't always act right. Long story is, Deep down in Southern Baja we have a little casita. Trying to live there part time if we can pull it off on the cheap. Have a UZJ100 here in the US but down there we still have to rent a car whenever we are there or drive one of ours for 3 days to get there. We need something we can leave there and don't mind the sea-air, salt, wind and sun eating up. Plus Ive always wanted a 60 series.

The purpose of this rig would be for exploring back roads, lots of beach driving to go fishing/surf. Throwing wet dogs in the back. Hauling crap around. etc. Something I don't have to worry about when it gets salty and my thought process is, if it's already rusty, I won't worry about it and inspect it every day for rust bubbles. I would not be trying to restore it. Just want something I can not worry about and let nature take its course. Kinda like adopting a senior dog.

This guy has one down there. Mechanically sound. New Tires. 4x4 works fine. He's not going any lower than 2700.00 US. Am I crazy for picking this up? He tried to Bondo-Fiberglass around the roof rails and pillars at one point. How much life could this thing have left in it as just a beach buggy? Could the roof just blow off of it in a year? Those pillars I'm sure could be crunchy. Will this thing just collapse if I slam the door to hard? Could I get 5 years out of it if I keep the oil changed? It would be parked under a car port most of the time.

I'm posting pictures and realize that this could be upsetting to some people. I apologize for the graphic content that follows.

Thanks you for any and all opinions.

82975420_563301324519467_425137312024756224_n.jpg

82923521_2552753608381961_1383030953084977152_n.jpg

82562532_2355510074555120_920973715636748288_n.jpg

82464878_2559477460965093_3902640549114413056_n.jpg

81990121_764806617328908_6451541207922245632_n.jpg

Well it's a body on frame vehicle so the strength is in the frame which from the pictures looks OK. So the vehicle shouldn't snap in half the next five years. In the rare times it rains you might get wet.

For your purposes - price aside - I'd go for it. I'd likely get some fiberglass cloth and epoxy and just make a waterproof hat for it. I mean why the hell not? Let it live out it's golden years beach side.

Sure you could drive it, but I wouldn’t pay $2700 for the privilege. Maybe $1500 if the rest of it was decent.

You could probably pull the bondo repair apart and redo it with better results. If anything, all of that filler is making it rust quicker.

An alternative to fiberglass cloth and epoxy would be ...grind it down and fill with short strand fiberglass filler/hardener. That stuff dries rock hard. then grind and then sand it back down. It's not going to be a smooth as bondo but it will help structurally hold it together. I like evercoat 622. This stuff is sticky goey like tar with a dead cat in it. A gallon should be enough to do the roof. Evercoat cream hardener is sold in 4 oz tubes. I'd get at least 4 of these along with a dozen spreaders/squeegee
Amazon product ASIN B000P72HAY

^ this. It is porous like bondo. Hit it with rattle can of your favorite epoxy sealer.

Id chop the roof and enjoy the wonderful sun topless!!!

More importantly...pics of said casita and are you willling to trade casita time for Cabin in Colorado time 😁
Screenshot_20200117-061212.png

The thing about having a FJ60 in baja is that there's none down there and never has been except for the occasional gringo visiting for a short while. I drove my FJ60 everywhere in baja over the decades and it was absolutely the perfect vehicle down there, but I always had it well maintained and it was in very good condition and I could fix anything.

If I had a little place in Baja Sur as you do, and wanted to leave a vehicle down there, I wouldn't choose a FJ60. I'd choose a common vehicle down there that the Mexicans drive like an old Hilux or Tacoma because it would be easier to find parts and someone who knows that vehicle.

Granted, there aren't many good choices to choose from down there when it comes to used vehicles (all are usually thrashed and neglected) so that cruiser might be your only option, but if you've got some patience, I'd skip that vehicle and look for something more Mexican

Looks like a $2700 truck to me.

As OSS sez, difficult to find parts in Mex. A couple with a place somewhere on the gulf side bought a FJ60 from me, to leave down there, but ended up bringing it back to USA and bought a 1st Gen Isuzu Trooper to leave at the property for the reason OSS mentions.

Also, I wouldn't pay $2700 for that Truck (unless the drive-train mileage is low). If the roof has been 'Repaired' once already, and it's rusting through like that, the body is going to take extensive work, should you choose to do that.

Reliable as these trucks are, some parts just need replacin' after 35 years. ;) Be prepared to spend money.

The undercarriage doesn't look too bad though, if you're intent is just to try and drive it until it disintegrates.

It's heresy to say this here, but you might be better off with a similar vintage J**p, for Mexico.

Reactions: OSS
Thank you for everyone's valuable input. Everyone has given us a lot to think about. My head and LC fantasies get in the way so all of this input is helpful. Wife made me draw out a Pro vs Con list and that's helping me be honest with myself about and my expectations. I set out looking for something already rusty and Baja'd so I wouldn't even worry about it. However, I find myself then....worrying about it still. Which seems stupid but maybe not. I'm going to post a few more pics of the engine area and other random stuff. The jury is still out. Thanks again, everyone. Also, WSOPgold2012 that is an arrangement that def could be made. We want to find people that want to do trades whenever we need a change in scenery!

PS-As far as oil, he says she drinks about a quart every 4-5 months to top off.

82148336_528356234697440_3964971511105716224_n.jpg

82399898_613719475861357_3405868688740450304_n.jpg

82992389_564967374351218_7130304907235557376_n.jpg

82195561_2406970409633607_8352378855641579520_n.jpg

82981732_2741486692634168_9052296445708730368_n.jpg

The thing about having a FJ60 in baja is that there's none down there and never has been except for the occasional gringo visiting for a short while. I drove my FJ60 everywhere in baja over the decades and it was absolutely the perfect vehicle down there, but I always had it well maintained and it was in very good condition and I could fix anything.

If I had a little place in Baja Sur as you do, and wanted to leave a vehicle down there, I wouldn't choose a FJ60. I'd choose a common vehicle down there that the Mexicans drive like an old Hilux or Tacoma because it would be easier to find parts and someone who knows that vehicle.

Granted, there aren't many good choices to choose from down there when it comes to used vehicles (all are usually thrashed and neglected) so that cruiser might be your only option, but if you've got some patience, I'd skip that vehicle and look for something more Mexican
My 60 has spent a ton of time in Baja over the years with the PO. I have all the receipts for every bit of maintenance it had while there, and judging by the amount of them, they never had an issue finding parts.

Well, after much counsel, discussion and pro and con talk, we decided against it. While in many ways it's exactly what I'm looking for in a bucket for the beach, that was a little too much crunch for me. Also, the timing is off. We would be buying it and then leaving it for 6-7 mos just sitting there. I'm sure we'd be coming back to a project as well just to get it back into running condition and I don't want to spend the rest of this week just prepping it to sit. I'm going to be patient and trust that the right vehicle will come along. I don't want to admit it but the beach bucket vehicle might just be an old 4runner because they're all over the place down there. Even though my Ego really wanted a 60 series. Thanks everyone for your wisdom and experience. Glad Ih8mud is here.

A year from now, when it's still sitting in the same spot, and you've still got the bug, offer $1000, that's really all it's worth in a non-rust belt area (to me, anyway 🤷‍♂️) .

Good luck!

I know of no one who has ever regretted not buying something.

I was gonna say to just get a 3rd gen 4runner, they are everywhere down there. And don't go into it with the attitude of not caring about the rust. It's easy to deal with -- just spray with Fluid Film which is kind of messy but when you do, it will stop the rust in its tracks and add years to its life. 3rd gen 4runners have 4 things that need to be done to prevent them from dying: Fluid Film the frame and underside and diff pumpkin, replace the radiator so you don't get a pink milkshake, change the lower ball joints to new OEM ones, and cut and cap the coolant lines to the rear heater. They rust out and dump all your coolant causing the engine to overheat and possibly blow a head gasket. Do those 4 things and the 4runner will be great for Baja.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom