1987 FJ60 Diesel - Should I buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi gang,

I spotted an FJ60 Diesel selling locally and I am a bit scared off because of the KMs: 523000. The engine and transmission have not been rebuilt. The transfer case leaks a bit. There is rust in the "usual places" but the frame is apparently good. Obviously I will get it inspected, but should I even consider such a high mileage cruiser?

I can post pics if required. Thanks in advance everyone.

320,000 miles- would you buy a truck with that? The frame, steering box, window cranks, seat rails all have 320,000 miles. A 60 series is not "rare" and it is easy to source one with 200,000 miles easier.

It is either a 3B or a 2H which are well on the downhill of lifespan. Most important, these engines have not been produced for close to 25 years. The 3B like the 22R were great engines in their day but support for them is declining. The 2H was never loved.

In this day in age the only choice in my mind is to diesel convert with an engine series 1990 or later and ideally use a new transmission.

OP where are you and the cruiser located? Which diesel engine/trans? Price? Pics? Maintenance records? Maybe a link to the add. All of these could help some one help you. You may want to try the diesel section for engine specific questions.

X2 on tat2matt's comment.

In this day in age the only choice in my mind is to diesel convert with an engine series 1990 or later and ideally use a new transmission.

This pays little heed to Tat2Mat's response an the fact that many states (if he was in the US) do not allow for swap of non-like manufacturer engine models (NV happens to be one).

The 2H was never loved.

Not trying to start an argument, but I've been on here a couple years and never heard this before. Just wondering if you've got any info as to why the 2H would not be worth having?

103bhp

I have run a 1HD-t in a 70 series for several years, and I am in tucson- would you and your hj60 like to dance?

1hz is a toyota engine and has it stamped on the valve cover.

There are several 1990's convert 12H-T, 1HZ, and 1HD-T powered 60 series in the states including california (and I have driven that one several thousand miles) so even restrictive states allow it.

back to the posted ad- it has hundreds of thousands of kilometers on the entire truck. I'd run away.

rick d
TLCA 4609

Not trying to start an argument, but I've been on here a couple years and never heard this before. Just wondering if you've got any info as to why the 2H would not be worth having?

I think the 2h comment was not about it not worth having but the support for them is crap..

In the US Toyota does not support any diesel that was not sold here... At this point it is all if them.....

To much for that one rebuild will cost 5k just the engine then there is the IP ,trans , TCase , brakes,and who now what else is about to go on it.

Over here 2h rebuild kits and 2h motors are readily available. They are a little slow but go on and on, I would disagree with the unloved comment. Over here cars with 400k+ Kms come up for sale often. A long as its not rusted out and has had the necessary work, they can be viable. 500 thou without having the engine or trans opened sounds a lot to me though, it's likely to need an overhaul to some degree.

Short of a great deal of rust, or infix able rust, I say why not? Ppl act like 5,000 is a lot of money but heck, it has a Diesel engine and it doesn't leak. Any toyota diesel should be put to work especially if it is still running.

I would get it checked out before I offered anything for it. That being said it is worth getting checked out. If the motor isn't to bad it could be worth part of what he is asking. What are the OP's plans for the/a cruiser?

Last edited:
Thanks guys I really appreciate the insights. I'll probably let this one pass. Cruisers come up for sale all the time up here so I'll keep looking. :)

Thanks for the link RockDoc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom