1987 FJ60 Transfer Case question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’ve had my 1987 FJ60 (Burt) for about 25 years. I lived in the mountains in Northern California and the original in-line 6 just couldn’t get me up the hills fast enough. We have done a Chevy V8 engine swap, added a 5 speed, and bunch of other cool parts and invested an embarrassing amount of money. Regardless, it is my pride and joy and I love driving it. It is a real head turner.
I moved to Haines Alaska last year and barged Burt up to join me. Sadly my mechanic didn’t come with him. LOL
I have a new mechanic who seems capable, and who has signed on to do some needed work, but we are having trouble finding parts.
First things first. I need to have the transfer case rebuilt BADLY. I could go with an Atlas I suppose, but I would rather not, at least not until I have exhausted other options.
Does anyone have a potential source for parts or rebuilt transfer cases? Or any tips to steer me in the right direction? I am headed back down to California next month, so I could have things shipped their and save on Alaska shipping charges. I’ve got feelers out…but so far we aren’t having much luck. I am having my TC yanked so I can supply the core.
Thanks for any help.

IMG_0624.jpeg

Contact @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids. Expert everything Cruiser wise…in particular T Cases…& his business is in California.

We can certainly help. We have everything needed in stock and we typically rebuild 2-3 of those transfer cases every week.
Happy to help, and we’re in northern CA!
Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

IMG_8943.jpeg

I grew up in Haines and am hopeful to move back in a few years. Good luck with the mechanics around there. My parents had work done over the last few years on their older suburban and it hasn’t held up unfortunately. If you’re going to have anything substantial done to it you might be better off taking it to Anchorage, Whitehorse, or Juneau. You would probably still be money ahead and get more quality work. Ymmv.

I grew up in Haines and am hopeful to move back in a few years. Good luck with the mechanics around there. My parents had work done over the last few years on their older suburban and it hasn’t held up unfortunately. If you’re going to have anything substantial done to it you might be better off taking it to Anchorage, Whitehorse, or Juneau. You would probably still be money ahead and get more quality work. Ymmv.
Yes, I have not heard the greatest things about the local mechanics, or even Whitehorse. I couldn’t get anyone in Juneau to call me back.The local guy that has best reputation has a schedule booked too far out. The guy I am going with moved here about a year ago and seems capable. All I can do is go with my gut and cross my fingers at this point.
Hope you are able to make it back to Haines. We sure love it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom