1987 FJ60 4spd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
- I have a 1987 FJ60 that needs a new 4spd transmission, or some options to rebuild. Does anyone have any guidance on where I can find a good one? Thanks, any help would be appreciated. Its had a great 245k of miles on the one that is in it. The 1st and 2nd synchros are done.

There's very few home mechanics who are competent enough to be able to rebuild a transmission correctly. A few guys have done it, but it requires the fabrication of special pullers and tools to take it apart. It also requires the know how how to take it apart & put it all back together properly. It also requires a good work area and good strong work bench.

That being so, really the only option for a repair is to have a professional transmission shop do the work — and that gets expensive fast because of labor charges.
Nowadays, Toyota doesn't sell a single internal part for the 4 speed any longer, so you'd have to find a 3rd party manufacturer that has those parts (bearings, synchros & other parts). I've heard they are available somewhere.

But when all said & done & the numbers added up — it'll be close to the same price and a WAY better solution to just buy a brand new Toyota 5 speed and bolt it right in. In your year of cruiser, it's a direct bolt in. No modifications required. Also everything inside the transmission will be brand new. It'll outlive you and you'll never have to worry about it .

Get the 5 speed or find a good used 4 speed. I'd never consider a 4 speedo overhaul. Not worth it.

Thanks for the information. For some reason I was thinking the 5spd required drive shaft modifications. The direct replacement 5spd sounds perfect. The truck is with a good mechanic. We’ve realized it’s not reasonable to attempt a rebuild. Thanks

Just found myself in the same boat. I’ve got an 87. Clutch was gone. Noisey input shaft bearing, and grinds 1st to 2nd. Did a brief search and noted overhaul kits are available, so I figured I’d just rebuild it. I’ve built a few manual transmissions over the years so wasn’t too scared.

Pulled out the 4-speed and opened it up. 1st to 2nd doesn’t have a modern type replaceable synchronizer ring. Just bare teeth, part of the whole gear/shaft thing. Called Kurt at CO and he said it’s available for like $800 or some ridiculous price.

So ya, I got a new H55F sitting on my bench now, and in the process of rebuilding the split case behind it.

But man, be ready to get out your wallet. Stuff adds up. New 5-speed, new Aisin clutch kit, split case overall kit, I also decided while I was in there to throw in transfer case low-range reduction gear set, plus rear main crank seal, flywheel resurface, and fluids... I’m into this just over $4K in parts 🤢

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. For some reason I was thinking the 5spd required drive shaft modifications. The direct replacement 5spd sounds perfect. The truck is with a good mechanic. We’ve realized it’s not reasonable to attempt a rebuild. Thanks
The 87 is direct bolt in. Earlier 60’s required ds modifications

Please note that 'direct bolt in' isn't as simple as 'directly bolting it in'. There are still a few, relatively simple but VERY important details which must be modded in. Plugging the hole from the transfer case and the H55F and adding the oiler cup MUST be done on installation. Omitting either will cause the new transmission to fail. The gear shifter must be changed and a couple of the transfercase mounting bolts are longer. Have your mechanic read some build threads on performing the 5-speed upgrade. It will make your life much easier to follow a good, well documented install.

You'll love having a 5 speed.

I didn’t do a whole lotta research. I just read the first thread I came across:

Then called CO and asked a lot of questions...

Did the bolt hole plug. Got the oiler cup. Now it’s been my understanding, on a 1987, that’s all you need. Well, obviously the shifter knob will be inaccurate. But what’s this about a shifter, and longer transfer case bolts? Can someone reassure me here, or point me in the right direction if there’s more I need to read?

...and of course more freaking money I need to spend? 🤬

Last edited:
@atomicshawn

H55 has a different shifter to allow 5th gear to be shifted w/o hitting the dash.

33530-60160Shifter1

90119-12047 x 4 Bolt w/washer and split washer 12mm - 1.25P x 125mm (Split Case Front to 5 Speed)
90119-12235 x 3 Bolt w/washer and split washer 12mm - 1.25P x 170mm (Split Case to 5 Speed)

Not too long ago 4 speeds weren’t worth anything, now they’re worth a little. If you can do the labor yourself, and you have the time wait for a local deal, a good used 4 speed is very affordable. If you have the budget, go 5 speed.

I actually have an H42 in good condition with about 140XXX miles on it. When I pulled it and put the H55f in it was in perfect working order. I'd love for it to not be in my way anymore if someone is interested. I'm in central AZ.

Clark

P.S. Out of a late 1985 FJ60, so it has the spacer on requiring the shorter rear driveshaft.

Last edited:
I didn’t do a whole lotta research. I just read the first thread I came across:

Then called CO and asked a lot of questions...

Did the bolt hole plug. Got the oiler cup. Now it’s been my understanding, on a 1987, that’s all you need. Well, obviously the shifter knob will be inaccurate. But what’s this about a shifter, and longer transfer case bolts? Can someone reassure me here, or point me in the right direction if there’s more I need to read?

...and of course more freaking money I need to spend? 🤬

The bottom tip of the shift lever is different between the 4 and 5 speeds. Angle and shape are the same. Hitting the dash with a 4 speed shifter in a 5 speed transmission is not a problem. The 5-speed is on the left:

Mud 1010.JPG

5-speed on the right:

Mud 1011.JPG

Inside a 4 Speed:

Mud 1014.JPG

Inside a 5 speed:

Mud 1013.JPG

Here is an excerpt of a H55F install in an '87 FJ-60:

Yep, thanks for the info man. I just got off the phone ordering the new shifter when I looked and noticed your post. At this point what’s another $225 🤯

Yeah, the conversion to H55f isn't cheap, but it's false economy not to do the clutch/Flywheel, Rear seal, Pilot bearing etc while it's all out and apart... You'll jump off a building if you have to pull the sheeet again just for a small part.

Don't forget the little bits like the 5th gear oiler and tap and plug for the T'case bolt hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom