H55F in 87 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I am told that the H55F is a drop in for my 87 FJ60. Before I drop the $2k price, I would like to know what the insatllation is going to entail. The H55F is longer than the standard 4 speed by 3.5",. right? so how is it a drop in?

Confused in California. ???

Your late model H42 has an empty 3.5 inch extension on it making it the same length as the 5spd. The earlier h42s without the extension will have a CV on the front drive shaft. I think around 7/85 is the cut off. My 10/85 -had- the extension housing. But it's been removed now and had the output shaft changed to install Marlin's Toybox.

mike-

You need to tap and fill the extra hole in the transfer case (details on CCoT board etc) and get a shifter lever as well. Other than that, a drop in.

Last edited:
Above posts are right on the money, I had an H55f put into my 87 FJ60....DO IT! You will absolutely love it!! I was doing about 75 on the highway yesterday at like 2500 rpm and could hear the radio!!

Not to mention you'll love the slightly lower first gear....

CardinalFJ60

I installed a H55 in my 1987 FJ60. A very simple swap, take the H42 out and put in the H55 in. I used a 5 spd shift knob from a Toyota pick up.

You'll love it. 3800 miles since the swap and can't complain.

H42

DSCN3803.jpg

H55F

DSCN3815.jpg

It is a direct swap, period.

GL

J

DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3815.jpg

It's was just about to have its 10 year reunion next month.... Lol

Yeah seriously Christian.

And yes an H55 is a direct fit into a 1987 FJ60--truck upside down or right side up.

:lol:

I want an H55F. I am going to crowdfund one damnit!!

Hi, Of all the people I thought would have had one! Good luck with the fund raising. Mike

I have too many cruisers to have extra money for the 5 speed , but one day... Mike

Feeling kinda goofy asking questions on a 16yr old thread, but everyone here seems to be a lot smarter then me, wanting to swap a h55f into my 87 fj60, getting mixed signals, is it direct drop in, er raise in, or do you need to tap and fill a hole in the T-case? Thanks for any help!!

Feeling kinda goofy asking questions on a 16yr old thread, but everyone here seems to be a lot smarter then me, wanting to swap a h55f into my 87 fj60, getting mixed signals, is it direct drop in, er raise in, or do you need to tap and fill a hole in the T-case? Thanks for any help!!

As drop in as it gets. Drivelines won’t change. You’ll want to look at the oils pan gaskets, side cover, rear main seal (those are all the while your in there seals). Beyond that, everything to change the clutch should be considered, the transfer case is bolted onto the transmission and should be looked at as well.

Your into it..

if you haven’t taken care of anything above. You might as well.

Check the speedo cable and trans/split case breathers <while your in there>. 😁

About as easy a transmission swap as you'll find, and as noted, a good time to examine/rebuild the transfer case (which has to come apart anyway) and do the clutch, RMS, flywheel, etc ... It will add up the cost quickly but a lot easier and cheaper than pulling everything out again later for a RMS or a clutch. Plus, with the new tranny and other bits, it will shift like a new truck.

Thanks for the info guys, I will be replacing rms and oil pan gasket, I haven’t looked into it yet but good call on the transfer case, might as well rebuild it while it’s out 😂
Do y’all recommend an aftermarket clutch or an oem one? Or is everything pretty much the same quality these days?

Awesome, thanks for the help, I appreciate. I’ll add it to the ever growing list!😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom