1987 2F engine fuel delivery problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just completed a complete engine rebuild.
I an not getting any fuel from the tank to the filter.
How do I trouble shoot the el fuel pump circuit. I have the Haynes manual, there is no diagram of the fuel pump anywhere.
I am a first time poster...

Rainer

Your fuel pump may be worn.
A new fuel pump will suck air until it gets fuel. If an old fuel pump is worn, it can suck fuel ok, but not air.

You could try priming the fuel line by pouring some fuel in it.

That makes sense. I will do that.. (you are talking about the mech. fuel pump at the side of the black possibly being bad ?)
But I thought, that the el fuel pump in the tank will pump fluid up the small filter just ahead of the mechanical fuel pump...

The stock FJ60 has only the mechanical fuel pump bolted to the block. No fuel pump in the tank. The FJ62 (1988 >) with the 3FE fuel injected engine has a fp in the tank.

Toyota 2F fuel pump
image.jpeg

the fuel pump above needs a spacer when bolted to the block.
are the fuel lines attached to the correct ports on the pump?
is there gas in the tank?

Thanks for pointing-out, that there is no el. fuel pump on my car! No wonder, I could not find it on the diagrams in the Haynes Manual... Was under the impression, that there was a pump in the tank...(like on my 76 Celica...)
The pump looks fairly new. I will double check in the morning, that the lines are hooked-up correctly, pretty sure they are.
There is a spacer between pump and block and fuel in the tank. Just put in 5 gal and there was fuel to begin with.
I filled the lines back and forward from the fuel filter, filter is half full, when cranking. Presently, ther is no fuel in the carb bowl, In the
morning, I will fill the carb bowl and check for flow and pressure at the carb when cranking. I know the car will start, it fired-up when adding (squirting) fuel in the bow.
I never saw the car run before I bought it. Bought it from a neighbor, orig. owner. Car was parked 10 years ago, after the engine ("blew up") Has 225K miles on it.
I rebuild the engine, head, including new rings (bores where OK, worn just .0005" from stock, just needed to be honed). Found the ring stuck, the head was in bad shape. Installed new bearings, new oil pump and etc.
Crank was ground to c/u light score marks. Cam was polished and coated.
To be continued...

If it's not getting to the filter, then it's probably not the pump. Remove fuEl filter and fuel should run out of the hose on the tank side, if not it's blocked someplace.

Also a chance someone put an electronic fuel pump someplace, but I don't know if you can do that and leave the mechanical pump in place.

Landpimp,
I must have a tank to filter issue...
When I removed the line coming from tank to filter, there was no fluid running. I put some shop air into the line and the gas started flowing good. reconnected to filter, but still not coming out at the carburetor connection, when cranking.
Re-checked at the filter feed, no flow again. repeated back blowing, started running again, but not for long.
Now I cant get the flow to start again when back blowing...
So, there must be an issue somewhere between the filter connection and the tank.
I will investigate the line tomorrow.

The question I have is: How can flow come out of the line at the filter, being that the tank is lower than the oulet at the filter ?
With-out a pump pushing, how would the fuel be able to come out of the line at the filter ? It cant run up hill...
I thought the mech. fuel pump has to suck fuel from the tank thru the filter ?
What am I missing ?

Also, to which line at the pump is the supply line connected ? the short or the long one ? Its presently connected to the short one. (facing away from block)
The return line is connected to the long pipe. (near block).

The question I have is: How can flow come out of the line at the filter, being that the tank is lower than the oulet at the filter ?
With-out a pump pushing, how would the fuel be able to come out of the line at the filter ? It cant run up hill...
I thought the mech. fuel pump has to suck fuel from the tank thru the filter ?
What am I missing ?
You've pretty much answered your own question there - suction is the key. The fuel pump performs the same function as if you were siphoning fuel from a car's fuel tank by running a hose down the filler tube and sucking on the end until it flows (I don't recommend doing that to see for yourself :)).

Thanks everybody, I will get a new pump... Amazing how quickly and detailed your answers are !
As I said previously, this is my first question on this forum. And got answers the same day..
I have past experience with Corvette and Porsche Forums, very similar in the response...

I am exited to get my Land Cruiser going. Have never even driven one, but always admired them, seeing it sitting in my neighbors driveway with-out moving...and always wanted one.
After my neighbor let me buy it when she could not get it repaired ($$$), I knew I had a big project to do.
Just this past week I got it back together after a several week of engine rebuild. As to be expected, there were numerous things it needed,
including now a fuel pump. (still looking for an original dash cover...)
Got the engine running yesterday, as long as I have fuel in the carb bowl. Still have to sort out a few vacuum lines, idles kind of fast...
Will do that while waiting for a new pump...

I just replaced mine. When I called the toyota dealer they said there are 5 left in the country ATM. It was 200 give or take a bit. Something you don't want to cheap out on.

I finally found the reason why I was not getting any fuel flow to the carburetor: A plugged fuel filter.

When initially observing the old fuel filter, it looked fairly clean from the outside. I was planning to replace it, just to have a fresh filter in the system, but continued my trouble shooting from the carburetor back..
During the priming the fuel lines from the carb back, the fuel filter bowl was filled with clean fluid. but I was not able to get any flow...
I was going to order a new fuel pump.
Over the W/E I checked with my local auto parts stores, none of them had a pump in stock. But I got a couple filters from O'Reiley's.
I removed the old filter and inspected the suction and outlet ports and found the filter plugged solid ! After cutting it open, I found the paper filter clean, but suction open, but the outlet line was hole was plucked solid.
Those filters usually are get clogged with dirt and rust particles from the tank, causing fuel starvation, if not replaced regularly,but still letting some fluid thru and one can see the contamination thru the bowl. But my filter looked clean...
Apparently, during the long (10+ years) the fuel in the outlet side of the filter bowl turned to varnish and plugged the outlet.
When inspecting the filter media, it looked brand new, absolutely no dirt on it. Since I could not blow thru the filter from both sides, I cut it open and was able to blow thru the inlet line ok, but not thru the outlet line. After cutting away the clean paper media, I found the blocked hole on top of the filter... Never assume a clean looking filter is not plugged...
I installed the new filter, primed my lines and voila, getting flow and pressure as I should...
So no new fuel pump required, just a $ 4.85 filter.
On to getting the idle down so I can set my timing etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom