1986 FJ60 Frame Off Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Progress on frame and supension, with axles going in. Engine/transmission installed. Fuel and evap system lines were a pain to run. But end result was worth it.

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

frame4.jpg

carb fan restoration. love the carb fan. every time i shut down i smile. had to splice the connection at manifold due to age and cracking wire. But it still works like a champ.

64.jpg

DNP carpet kit. Looks great. hardest part was the shift boot installation . otherwise excellent fit and finish approximating OEM. Also installed 3 point rear belts. was kind of tough i don't have a pre threaded hole. had to fish the hardware up in there. got the seatbelt planet brown rear belt.

int6.jpg

int7.jpg

ext5.jpg

int1.jpg

int3.jpg

Awesome job attention to do detail looks spot on going through this thread makes me want to do a ground up rebuild on my 84 fj60 or my 86 hj61 so bad love seeing these old Toyota’s being saved to live another few decades yet

A6BFC56C-9B38-4F41-BECB-E2A8CFA56E54.png

3E85AE68-0D5C-48FB-A23B-10467ECEB350.jpeg

Fantastic restore. Did you take the spare tire carrier apart? I am afraid to take mine apart in case I can't get it back together.

Fantastic restore. Did you take the spare tire carrier apart? I am afraid to take mine apart in case I can't get it back together.

thanks -
The crank with the chain ??—I did not take it apart —I cleaned and painted it —I was a little afraid to take it apart as well

Yeah mine was seized up and rusty. I soaked it in rust remover which cleaned it up well and it started moving again. It now works but the grease all came out. I sprayed it with WD40 inside and out for now but I'd like to regrease the insides somehow.

Awesome job attention to do detail looks spot on going through this thread makes me want to do a ground up rebuild on my 84 fj60 or my 86 hj61 so bad love seeing these old Toyota’s being saved to live another few decades yet

View attachment 2327143

View attachment 2327144
Great looking fj60’s!
My plan when I bought mine was to get it running and drive it —but I got frustrated with how dirty and greasy it was—everytime I tried to do something on it I got filthy —that’s no fun! The decision was made to do the restoration was the best decision I made . Not only was the restoration fun—but it’s a dream to work on it now !!—going through every system also gives a since of security that a 34 year old truck will perform like new for years to come .

For the spare tire carrier, its actually really easy to disassemble. Just take pics of how things are oriented (i.e. the chain feed direction etc). Seems easy but once its apart can get confusing. The inside of the mechanism is fairly straightforward and theres not more than a few parts. Mine would only turn with the jack handle in it before. Now I can spin it by hand and it is smooth. It was pretty rusty and I think I had to leave the parts under evaporust for a week to really get it clean.

For lube i just used some of the palladium grease on the shaft of the mechanism, and a q tip coated in grease to reach the areas that I could not get by hand.

Littlebilly is right. Once its clean and fresh its so much easier to work on. When I started it back up, my power steering pump started leaking and it was a 10 minute job to get it out for inspection. I am so glad that I decided to mount the short bolt for power steering pump mounting bracket by the manifold. Saved me a ton of time. Currently researching options for PS pump. I think I'll either get one from toyota or cityracer. Please give me feedback if yall have gotten the ps pump from them.

THis was also the point where i decided I was not going to keep patching the radiator. So i got a new radiator and no more leaks. Also easy fix. THe only problem with a restoration like this is that you start doing stuff like cleaning the frame with shop rags after you drip some coolant on it. But you're ok with that or you wouldn't have done the frame off in the first place.

I went and checked on the 60 yesterday and wet sanding is in progress. I look forward to showing some updated pics .

Ordered some custom template cocomats for the 60. Will post somepics when i get them. Of course, two tone brown is the way to go. If you haven't had cocomats before they are absolutely fantastic. They hold so much dirt and are by far the most durable mats you can get. I would think that each mat probably weighs 5-8 pounds. Anyway, I got a kit from cocomats (made in USA in SC) and sent the custom templates to cocomats and if yall have interest you can probably reference the template I sent to save work. The heel pad and binding on edges is top notch. Something you don't know how much you need it until you have it.

Littlebilly is right. Once its clean and fresh its so much easier to work on. When I started it back up, my power steering pump started leaking and it was a 10 minute job to get it out for inspection. I am so glad that I decided to mount the short bolt for power steering pump mounting bracket by the manifold. Saved me a ton of time. Currently researching options for PS pump. I think I'll either get one from toyota or cityracer. Please give me feedback if yall have gotten the ps pump from them.

THis was also the point where i decided I was not going to keep patching the radiator. So i got a new radiator and no more leaks. Also easy fix. THe only problem with a restoration like this is that you start doing stuff like cleaning the frame with shop rags after you drip some coolant on it. But you're ok with that or you wouldn't have done the frame off in the first place.

I went and checked on the 60 yesterday and wet sanding is in progress. I look forward to showing some updated pics .

not sure where your ps pump is leaking but on first start up mine leaked from the o ring on the long bolt that must be removed to get the reservoir off—I also put a new o ring on the reservoir where it fits into the pump — Easy fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom