1985 toyota 2l-t mechanic needed in northeast pa. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I was told by moderator to consider posting here. I am new to this site or for that matter, any site, so I don't know my way around. Anyway, I have an incredibly immaculate 1987 Toyota Mastercraft RV that the former owner, now departed, installed a 1985 "old style" diesel motor mated to a 5 speed trans. Rv has 80k and not sure about motor. On the way home from getting inspected, I must have cracked the head as I have significant blow by. It did not overheat, but maybe will now. This is my first diesel and do not really feel confident with doing the job. I am concerned about some specific tools and swapping valve train etc. I am looking for a mechanic that knows these engines? I live in Allentown pa. I have some pics posted on the 95 and older mini truck thread. They don't do justice and you can only post 5. This unit is really clean and I would hate to see this be the demise of it. When I bought it I thought the engine would be the one thing I wouldn't have to worry about. Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

Hi, I was told by moderator to consider posting here. I am new to this site or for that matter, any site, so I don't know my way around. Anyway, I have an incredibly immaculate 1987 Toyota Mastercraft RV that the former owner, now departed, installed a 1985 "old style" diesel motor mated to a 5 speed trans. Rv has 80k and not sure about motor. On the way home from getting inspected, I must have cracked the head as I have significant blow by. It did not overheat, but maybe will now. This is my first diesel and do not really feel confident with doing the job. I am concerned about some specific tools and swapping valve train etc. I am looking for a mechanic that knows these engines? I live in Allentown pa. I have some pics posted on the 95 and older mini truck thread. They don't do justice and you can only post 5. This unit is really clean and I would hate to see this be the demise of it. When I bought it I thought the engine would be the one thing I wouldn't have to worry about. Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
Hey @intune2u , Can you share a view of the engine bay?
Toyota had many diesels in many forms. Some with Electronic injection and some with not.
A pic will help us determine, if not narrow down thr options.

Hey @intune2u , Can you share a view of the engine bay?
Toyota had many diesels in many forms. Some with Electronic injection and some with not.
A pic will help us determine, if not narrow down thr options.
here are some pics. I do have the service manual for 85 truck

DSC03335.JPG

DSC03337.JPG

DSC03336.JPG

It has yanmar diesel generator etc. so I would rather not. Thanks
Looks like its the rarer, mechanical version of the 2LT-E, which is known to have head gasket issues and cracking of the heads due to this.

Looks like its the rarer, mechanical version of the 2LT-E, which is known to have head gasket issues and cracking of the heads due to this.
Also, it's actually a 2.4 Liter engine if I recall correctly.

You're overthinking this.
If you have taken the cylinder head off of other vehicles, this will be cake. You only have to remove the cam gear/pulley to get the belt out of your way. Everything else should be in front and on top.
Take it to a machine shop and if they need a new bear cylinder head, it will be in the right hands.

You're overthinking this.
If you have taken the cylinder head off of other vehicles, this will be cake. You only have to remove the cam gear/pulley to get the belt out of your way. Everything else should be in front and on top.
Take it to a machine shop and if they need a new bear cylinder head, it will be in the right hands.
Ok, thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom