1985 FJ60 Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Currently, it’s next to IMPOSSIBLE to complete a CA emissions legal LS or EROD conversion.
I would HIGHLY recommended you ( or anybody else including shops in CA or elsewhere ) do not attempt to do so unless you do LOTS of homework and are 100% aware of what you’re getting into.
Barely any gasser conversions are passing the ref these days. I’d say less than 5%.
We have suspended all LS and EROD conversions for CA at this point.

Want/need better fuel economy?! I’d suggest a 5-speed. Even better ...... a diesel swap.
😎

We can help with those.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
I thought erod was 50 state legal?

Hello everyone,

Getting ready to buy a 1985 Royal Blue FJ60 and need some advice. It's a 4 speed with about 80K on it and I am looking to make it a long distance machine. I realize these things are terrible on gas, but I will be using it as a daily (highway) driver and be using it for long road trips.

How much will it cost to upgrade this bad boy to a 5 speed transmission? How much will that improve the fuel economy?

What tips do you have to get the best gas mileage? What changes can I make to the engine, what parts should I change or upgrade?

Eventually, I would like to upgrade to a Chevy Vortec V8. How much will this cost? Should I go with the 5.3 or 5.7L? How do I make sure it will pass CA smog?

Thanks a lot! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
If you install a wideband air fuel ratio sensor and gauge you can dial in your carb and monitor how ts working to give maximum fuel mileage.

It is but California refs will deny based on any number of reasons. Cat is 1mm in the wrong spot. Or fuel tank issies. Even one or two years ago things were easier it seemed like.
I wonder if GM is aware of this. They probably paid a great deal to carb certify the EROD motors. So if carb is not allowing them to pass it sounds like a potential lawsuit if GM knew about it.

OP could just move to Texas. Summers are rough, but they don't care at all about the impact 35YO vehicles have on the environment. Just make sure your AC works. :) Just saying.
Same could be said for Nevada, outside of Clark and Washoe Counties (Las Vegas area and Reno area).

I love my truck to death but its a bj60 with the 4 cylinder diesel. 21-22mpg. Cruises at 65 pretty easily except up mountain passes. But its so loud that I must wear big earmuffs on long drives. As much as I enjoy looking at low mileage fj60 I wouldn't be able to tolerate 10-13 mpg.

For long highway miles... Escalade with a giant leather captains chair is starting to sound pretty nice to me. I borrowed a Yukon once for a long trip and averaged 26mpg...

The far western part of Clark County is exempt from emissions :).
yeah I think you have to be within so many miles of an emissions station to still be within compliance per NRS. But outside of that you are good to go. Easier just to live outside of those two hell holes.

The far western part of Clark County is exempt from emissions :).
Maybe we should all chip in for a hut in the desert. Would be cheaper than all this chasing smog bureaucracy for engines that are much cleaner than the ones they are replacing :D

Last edited:
yeah I think you have to be within so many miles of an emissions station to still be within compliance per NRS. But outside of that you are good to go. Easier just to live outside of those two hell holes.
My place NW of Las Vegas is two closed basins away from the Las Vegas Valley, so there are no air quality attainment requirements, therefore no emissions testing is required :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom