1985 axle assembly bearing clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im assembling my axle and the pins for high steer arms & lower bearing caps fit really tight onto the ID of the bearing. So much so that if I were to apply force it would get jammed as if it were a press fit. I tried this and was forced to hammer the lower bearing cap out of the bearing because it was so snug. Unfortunately this damaged the bearinng in the process, but thats another issue. I feel like something is wrong as there is such a tight clearance. Its an 85 axle and Im using a marlin rebuild kit with marlin high steer. Has anybody experienced this type of issue and can provide any tips?

9CDE020B-51CB-4458-8203-48DF6ED39172.jpeg

Do the old bearings fit the same?

Have you contacted Marlin?

Marlin asked me to send the steering arms back so they can press new pins in.

I don’t have the old bearings to compare, but regardless it seems abnormally tight.

@chesshircat

Yeah it seems like that would be the right way to do it. Something about it seemed off when I applied the punch and it took quite a bit of force to drive out the lower cap.

I'm trying to avoid using too much force in the event that the parts do need to be disassembled. Its such a snug fit, it almost seems like they don’t want to come apart. I guess some persuasion is necessary, but the question is.. how much?

@chesshircat

Yeah it seems like that would be the right way to do it. Something about it seemed off when I applied the punch and it took quite a bit of force to drive out the lower cap.

I'm trying to avoid using too much force in the event that the parts do need to be disassembled. Its such a snug fit, it almost seems like they don’t want to come apart. I guess some persuasion is necessary, but the question is.. how much?
[/QUOTE]

Just enough that you have to knock them out but they will stay in once you remove the cone washers. i use a rubber hammer to knock them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom