1985 4runner winding gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 85 4Runner and it's winding. It only winds when I am in 1,2,3,and 5th gear. Is there an explanation for this? I was told that there is a bearing inside that might be going bad. Your help is appreciated.

Trail Runner said:
I have a 85 4Runner and it's winding. It only winds when I am in 1,2,3,and 5th gear. Is there an explanation for this? I was told that there is a bearing inside that might be going bad. Your help is appreciated.

Did it all of the sudden do this? Or over time? In the beginning was it 1st and 3rd by chance?

More than likely it may be a main bearing. These are common with these. You should have the W-56 tranny in yours, I went thru this on my 85 not too long ago. If you have bad whining in all those gears, looks like it is time for a new rebuild. Marlin Crawler is the man you need to see. He has rebuilt units for $800-900. Good luck.

Johnny

You said it. GOOD LUCK. Thanks for the info. That is what I feared. I am not brave enough to do it myself so it sucks to spend the $. Oh well it needs to be done I guess. I'd imagine it would be a good time to get some crawler gears too? How difficult is it to put those in?

Trail Runner said:
You said it. GOOD LUCK. Thanks for the info. That is what I feared. I am not brave enough to do it myself so it sucks to spend the $. Oh well it needs to be done I guess. I'd imagine it would be a good time to get some crawler gears too? How difficult is it to put those in?

Yeah, trannies are best dealt with by someone who knows them and has the proper tools. Marlin is your man.

Crawler gears are not bad if you buy the kit that has been pre-pressed. If not, you will need a press.

Any of you have any connections to anyone that would be willing to help me put it together?

Where are you located????

So I went ahead and ordered the new transmission and transfer case w/ 4.7 gears. If any one would like to help put it in I could use the company if your board. I am planning to do some other fixes while it is out so I will have plenty to do. Thanks everyone for your help.

SEE POST SIX.

that is all.

No, but somebody might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom