1983 Pickup diesel introduction and a wheel question: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone. I just picked a 1983 Toyota pickup Diesel Longbed MT. Super excited. 162,000 mile California truck. Almost no rust (a rare bird here in Maine), and runs pretty well. I am not new to either diesel(2003 Jetta Wagon TDI daily) or Toyota’s (3 T100s in my past) but definitely new to a Toyota Diesel.

So first question, anyone know of 15” rims off of other models that will fit? It’s got it’s original 14” wheels which seriously limits the tire choices. Currently it has 205/75r14’s.

Anyway, here is it is in beautiful pale yellow. (Hopefully I am getting this image thing right)
02ACF3BC-71FD-40CE-AA95-240FBF8F7DCE.jpeg
03D93793-07A1-4D52-B97C-EBCC6C9BBFED.jpeg

Welcome to our slice of MUD. For wheels I think you need to start with what backspacing you currently have. I suspect 4wd wheels up through 1985 would work. I have no idea if 2WD wheels were different, though. A Google search should give you that answer.

I see you found the diesel forum here at MUD, so you are good with any engine questions.

Welcome to our slice of MUD. For wheels I think you need to start with what backspacing you currently have. I suspect 4wd wheels up through 1985 would work. I have no idea if 2WD wheels were different, though. A Google search should give you that answer.

I see you found the diesel forum here at MUD, so you are good with any engine questions.
I think the 4WD wheels have a larger center bore to accommodate their axle differences. It's also really hard to wade through all the wheel info on the internet as effectively every single post about wheels on these trucks is looking to go bigger than stock. I am just looking for a stock steel wheel that is in a 15" diameter so I can have a wider choices of tires that are similar sized to the OEMs.

My current rims are 14" by 5" wide with a 20mm positive offset. This equates to 3.75" backspacing on similar 5" wide rims, and 4.25" backspacing on wider 6" rims.

It would be nice if I could find a list of the OEM steel wheels that came stock on the different generations with good details as to all the myriad of dimensions.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Oops, by bad. 2WD wheels are 5 lug. 4WD are 6 lug, so they won't work. I'm curious what 2WD trucks used for backspacing and if they are 15".

Oops, by bad. 2WD wheels are 5 lug. 4WD are 6 lug, so they won't work. I'm curious what 2WD trucks used for backspacing and if they are 15".
Oh yeah, and there is that aspect! This generation's 2WD all used 14" rims, with the 3/4 ton getting a wider rim. Mine is a 14" rim at 5" wide and 3.75" backspacing. (20mm positive offset) and I think a 60mm center bore. Haven't measured the bore yet and have found conflicting info around the web in this regard. For now I just ordered some cheap Kumhos in the 14" size as the tires currently on there are definitely not safe.

Very nice ride! Super clean and looking forward to the burnout videos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom