1982 FJ40 build (resurrection) Bluey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello

I got this 1982 US spec FJ40 about 4 months ago. Runs and drivesish but has been sitting for about 20 years. I have driven past it since I was a kid and always wanted it. Saw it posted on marketplace and went and snapped it up that day.

This was the day we got it. It’s crustier than some and not as crusty as others but it’s a 1982 blue US spec FJ40 with factory power steering and air conditioning.

Plan was to restore it to original but after seeing all the good patina rigs like wngrog has done it makes me want to keep it in its natural state. Go through it mechanically and make it a good driver in its current state.

18015F54-F68A-4534-B528-3F6A9DEEE4DD.jpeg

This is after I got it back home.

Have since put in new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter and fuel filter and rebuilt the carb.

I am having an issue with it sputtering and acting like it wants to die going up hills at about 40mph. Idles and things fine but won’t run correctly. Going to put a fuel pump on it and clean the tank. If that doesn’t fix it I’ll probably put a Weber or tbi on it if anyone has any suggestions.

This is kind of a photo dump of the last 4 months. Then I’ll keep it more up to date.

Drove it to my farm and kept hearing slap slap slap. Got there and my tire looked like this. They are from 1995 so I guess I need a set....wanting to run a 33x10.5x15 on it, can I do that without a lift

The later model FJ40s had thinner steel . Patina is nice but my preference is to only keep it if there are no holes all over the vehicle. Older ones got less holes than newer ones.

These are interior pics, (no mice found yet but has a tinge of a smell)

I tried the clr, boiled linseed oil treatment today on the passenger side. It turned out really nice I think. Obviously need tires like I said but wanted it to look ok once I got them on.

Plan is:

Finish the cleaning and linseed oil treatment
Get it running right
New tires
Manafre header and new exhaust
Brown vinyl cruier Corp seat covers
Fix all the little things (dash pad, temp gauge, antenna)
Aluminum quarter covers with fake patina to match to shore up the rust it has.

Enjoy it. Kids love it. It’s named Bluey after the cartoon.

I’ll keep posting as we go along. Any tips or input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

81C77CE9-0513-4341-8380-96FD0C29B810.jpeg

CE68688C-C594-41BF-A009-50E73D04A069.jpeg

D4206A8D-9449-4BBD-8D59-37477D0E4CBE.jpeg

3EF37915-2329-4D99-8C30-8732A6564941.jpeg

38A633FA-EB1B-4D54-ACF1-A5945F227B73.jpeg

The later model FJ40s had thinner steel . Patina is nice but my preference is to only keep it if there are no holes all over the vehicle. Older ones got less holes than newer ones.
Lots of holes. If I redo it it will get the back 2/3 of the tub or so replaced. So plan as of now is to: clean and oil and enjoy it and just not drive it in the hard Kansas winters. Only has 105k miles on it and the frame looks good. Maybe down the road it will get redone but as long as the frame stays good the body can’t get much worse really.

Patina is nice in that truck. What would you do with the roof cap? Lots of patina up there.
Roof cap looked liked it had barnacles growing on it it was bad. For some reason has a black painted spot on it. Not sure what that’s about. Going to try to goof off it off but not sure. I power washed all the crustaceans off and it looks white ish now but we will see how it comes out.

Might have to sand and spray it white again. Not sure yet.

I suppose if it were mine I would restore it as best as possible. It is a good year to have but the exception is over the years rust was the issue. Luckily , there are many aftermarket parts to really do it well.

Hello

I got this 1982 US spec FJ40 about 4 months ago. Runs and drivesish but has been sitting for about 20 years. I have driven past it since I was a kid and always wanted it. Saw it posted on marketplace and went and snapped it up that day.

This was the day we got it. It’s crustier than some and not as crusty as others but it’s a 1982 blue US spec FJ40 with factory power steering and air conditioning.

Plan was to restore it to original but after seeing all the good patina rigs like wngrog has done it makes me want to keep it in its natural state. Go through it mechanically and make it a good driver in its current state.

View attachment 2809899
Is this the one that was in Maxton? You devil.

Seeing the passenger side I vote restore over Patina. That is some pretty nasty rust on the rear wheel well. I couldn't live with the holes on the front edge of the hood. Cloth seats were not original. What's the rear sill look like you? Why is the screen in the grill cut? Do you know if it has a stock A/C condenser? Look like it has great potential. If had the opportunity probably would have bought if I wanted another FJ40.

Maybe some pictures of the dash too? Congratulations on becoming an FJ40 owner. I'm always encouraged to see another one being brought back to life. There is nothing like driving an FJ40 is there?

Seeing the passenger side I vote restore over Patina. That is some pretty nasty rust on the rear wheel well. I couldn't live with the holes on the front edge of the hood. Cloth seats were not original. What's the rear sill look like you? Why is the screen in the grill cut? Do you know if it has a stock A/C condenser? Look like it has great potential. If had the opportunity probably would have bought if I wanted another FJ40.
I’ll check the compressor when I get home. Bottom of all the doors are rusted and rear sill and back of the tub are bad. It’s got a lot of rust.

Seats will get redone in coral vinyl from cruiser Corp. not sure why they recovered in cloth at some point a long time ago.

I’m going to clean it up and run it as is, one of these years I may redo the tub and make it 100% perfect but it took almost 40 years to get this patina and I kind of want to roll with it for now. Keep it from getting worse while I enjoy it if that makes sense. But to each their own. Lots of 100% perfect rigs out there. There is only one Bluey.

Maybe some pictures of the dash too? Congratulations on becoming an FJ40 owner. I'm always encouraged to see another one being brought back to life. There is nothing like driving an FJ40 is there?
No. I’ve owned a lot of wranglers and they feel like cheap garbage (because they are) after driving one of these. Even a worn down one. Will do on more pics.

Do NOT put a Weber on that beauty. Start searching for "sniper" on here if you want to go EFI. With as original as that engine bay is and the fact that it has the rare factory ac and ps makes this a pretty good restore canidate. You can absolutely get that Aisin carb to run properly though. Have you pulled a vacuum reading on it yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom