1982 FJ40 build (resurrection) Bluey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do NOT put a Weber on that beauty. Start searching for "sniper" on here if you want to go EFI. With as original as that engine bay is and the fact that it has the rare factory ac and ps makes this a pretty good restore canidate. You can absolutely get that Aisin carb to run properly though. Have you pulled a vacuum reading on it yet?
No. Haven’t done that. I’ll have to look it up and see if about the vacuum readying.

Haven’t done much research on the carb or
Tbi. Was thinking Weber and manafre header and Desmog it. Does that not seem like a good idea to everyone?

Fully original and smogged trucks are the most valuable, if you care about that. Yours also has factory PS and AC which was pretty rare. You said you rebuilt the carb, what exactly did you do to rebuild it? There's a multipart youtube video series by a highly regarded MUD member on properly rebuilding an Aisin carb. Track those down and make sure you did everything he shows in the videos. I bought one of these to check for vacuum leaks. Buy a factory service manual (FSM). Tons of good info and specs to get this thing running right as is.

Fully original and smogged trucks are the most valuable, if you care about that. Yours also has factory PS and AC which was pretty rare. You said you rebuilt the carb, what exactly did you do to rebuild it? There's a multipart youtube video series by a highly regarded MUD member on properly rebuilding an Aisin carb. Track those down and make sure you did everything he shows in the videos. I bought one of these to check for vacuum leaks. Buy a factory service manual (FSM). Tons of good info and specs to get this thing running right as is.
Ok thanks I’ll look that up.

I took it apart, soaked it and scrubbed most of the carbon off and replaced what looked worn.

I have the factory catalytic converter but it’s plugged and cut off. Are they still available?

Not sure if I kept it stock it would ever pass smog in a state that requires that.

Some requested interior pics and pics to how rotten it is.

5AE4AE05-DBC1-4D58-A0AF-BD6D7F5BE9C9.jpeg

B702096D-584A-4504-ACE9-942FD631868E.jpeg

C98D60B8-5F72-4525-9621-CD1079B72B0E.jpeg

456F25B0-A381-4761-ACAC-598FF714349A.jpeg

14A5DE7C-4EC7-42B3-932A-16872EAB4E09.jpeg

There are good bones here. And a great year. I would restore it and would be flip flopping as to Aquala OR steel tub replacement.

There are good bones here. And a great year. I would restore it and would be flip flopping as to Aquala OR steel tub replacement.
Possibly down the road. Have to get it running and driving good first. Can’t get much worse

Couple of the old stickers that are on the cruiser. One from from California on from Maryland and helicopter. I was told by who I got it from he got it from the original owner who was a helicopter pilot in the army.

3B2AFA4E-CAD5-4664-A6AC-978FBA591E4F.jpeg

451DD8B9-FE42-4242-BDCF-11E549DA8A7F.jpeg

519120AA-C61D-4E62-9AE1-E56D9BE252AA.jpeg

8C45F6C1-15F4-4E66-8386-D5AE5E7C65E5.jpeg

D078004E-27AF-4607-BC2B-29EB8341C395.jpeg

Found this sticker in Breckinridge last time we were there. Looks good on my cooler

3B4F45D5-A641-461A-B187-695036E068DF.jpeg

Drove Bluey for the first time in a while. Went and filled it up. Now I’m leaking gas. Any ideas?

Also. Cuts out like crazy. To the point where it will be stalled for 3-5 seconds and then ‘start’ up again.

Any ideas on either of these issues? Thanks

C51B01EC-5440-4C95-841F-21FEE9706CBD.jpeg

You have several connections on top of the tank in addition to the filler hose. Can you squeeze that cell phone camera up any higher?

You have several connections on top of the tank in addition to the filler hose. Can you squeeze that cell phone camera up any higher?
I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I’m wondering if it’s not the fuel level sensor gasket. Was leaking pretty equally on both sides on a level surface. I’ll pull the cover tomorrow and check that first I guess

I think my fuel leak is at the gasket for the sending unit. Going to try to pick one of those up today and a fuel pump. See if I can get it running right.

Also a couple pics of the new tires and completely cleaned and oiled Bluey. Still have to do the top, polish the wheels and get under the hood and underneath cleaned up but looking a lot better.

78B6BBAF-F3F2-4F23-AFD0-7A32B90EC14D.jpeg

1FA36963-0D11-4655-A903-8D0757D57E2D.jpeg

C612F7E8-1AC6-4272-B4DD-8D30F30A0F68.jpeg

Replaced the sending unit gasket and fuel pump today. Runs way better. Needs the carb tuned and new exhaust but it’s way better.

Still has a slight leak at the tank when fuel, but nothing like it was. I’ll drop the tank at a later date and figure that out.

4DB608E8-3D50-409B-B04A-A7F48D11C047.jpeg

Congrats on the purchase! I have your cruiser's twin brother, see my Avatar. I am by no means an expert in any of this, however, mine is an 82' too. PM me if you ever need some reference pictures or ??? I am in the process of replacing the entire tub. Any chance you could pull a couple quick measurements for me?

I am looking for:
1.) an accurate dimension between upper portion of the rear cross member and the lower portion of the body tub (measured at the center of the tub / cross member under the ambulance doors). In other words, the height that the body sits off of the cross member.

2.) the forward or aft distance that the tub should be in relation to the rear cross member. Should the body be flush with the cross member? Should it stick out beyond the cross member? Or should the cross member stick out farther than the tub? How much?

I am struggling with lining everything up. My new tub is a Gozzard unit which is why I can't pull the dimensions off the original tub. Thanks again! , I finally have a suitable garage to start work on this project again. Back on the road by 2022 is the goal!

Thanks again and congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom