1981 Pick-up Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup, expecting to be out for GSMTR this year, but still angling to make the Sand Hollow/Moab trip in September.

I might try and wrangle a marathon drive to make Thursday-Sat for GSMTR, but a lot has to fall into place (I'm stubborn, not willing to write it off just yet ;).

Worked on addin’ a little more lift to the front end today. Hope to have both packs rebuilt tomorrow. Added 2 leaves out of a S10 rear pack - hopefully adding the Chevy parts doesn’t make the truck fall apart.

0D76AF54-C362-4518-AB03-3ED568F5F57B.jpeg

hopefully adding the Chevy parts doesn’t make the truck fall apart.

View attachment 1656282

Not the whole thing, just the stuff that you take for granted like switches and door handles. Paint wiil probably start pealing off the hood too.

Not the whole thing, just the stuff that you take for granted like switches and door handles. Paint wiil probably start pealing off the hood too.

Why is that? Chevy seems to make a great drivetrain but the rest is a big ole pile o’ s***e.

Wrapped a bunch of stuff up this weekend. Duals are done minus front driveshaft, front spring packs are rebuilt and installed, rear bumper finished, and diff armor added.

Not a great picture but I probably got 1-2 inches in the front which equaled it out better with the back.

40276D99-7309-4BBB-925E-F2A74E566FA6.jpeg

You making your on driveshaft

Planning on making one. Going to try and modify my old driveshaft before I go square. Just wondering - do you have a spare laying around the shop? If you do, I'll post some measurements to see if it'll work.

would measure carefully and then caution against reusing the front. Problem is not length but slip, the factory front DS usually doesn't not provide enough slip to handle most modified front suspensions.

would measure carefully and then caution against reusing the front. Problem is not length but slip, the factory front DS usually doesn't not provide enough slip to handle most modified front suspensions.

I had a custom long-slip driveshaft built when I first lifted it. I'm theorizing that the slip that was built into that shaft will be sufficient, although I just lifted it slightly. My thought is to just lengthen the solid portion of the long-slip shaft.

As is typical for this build, I finished the last piece of the puzzle in the 11th hour before the next wheelin trip. I ended up adding 7” of 2.5” .120 wall DOM to the front DS and sleeved it with 2.25” .120 wall DOM that extended ~ 1” into the old DS ends. Pressed it (with a hammer) so it was close to flush and did my best to square it up. Now off to the testing grounds.

8F3B20EB-1066-47DC-B3E4-7C73E6C95968.jpeg

Damn tree branch fell over the weekend :censor: Anybody have any experience with 1st gen windshield repair. I’ve found a couple of threads about doing it at home but wondering if I’d be better off going with someone like Safelite.

ACA1B004-63E0-4AE7-A686-10FAD7B22C4F.jpeg

It’s easy @tgreco. Replaced the one in the Runner after it decided to flip over without me. Bought the windshield from rockauto and one tube of windshield urethane.

Hmmm, the 83 pickup leaks badly and needs replacing. I'm going to watch this and also do some research on this too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve read that the 2nd gens have a different gasket type that is easier to deal with. This sounded like it required the soapy rope/mig wire/guitar wire trick to get it done. I’ll attempt it first and report back.

It’s easy @tgreco. Replaced the one in the Runner after it decided to flip over without me. Bought the windshield from rockauto and one tube of windshield urethane.

How'd that happen? :flipoff2:

How'd that happen? :flipoff2:

It started with “Here hold my beer” then went “downhill” from there. That was so freakin funny. All I could do was stand there and watch it bounce off a tree, hit a rock and then flip over. Just glad no one got hurt.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve read that the 2nd gens have a different gasket type that is easier to deal with. This sounded like it required the soapy rope/mig wire/guitar wire trick to get it done. I’ll attempt it first and report back.

That sucks. I thought it was like the Runner glued in.

Damn tree branch fell over the weekend :censor: Anybody have any experience with 1st gen windshield repair. I’ve found a couple of threads about doing it at home but wondering if I’d be better off going with someone like Safelite.

View attachment 1681280
I just did this on my '81 Trekker, it's straight forward.
Watch some YouTube on it.
The gasket and glass are both available new aftermarket.

If you do call in Safelite ect... at least remove the old glass and gasket so you have a chance to clean up the rust and paint the flange.

Little bit of a pain to get out but not too bad. Ended up cutting the gasket around the windshield and took the glass out and then the rest of the gasket. One small rust hole which was expected given the leaky cab. I’ll give it to Toyota as that sealant stays stuck.

557AADF3-7905-4BFE-ACF4-13F28CECF83F.jpeg

0AEC2233-D176-4C94-BEEA-405850295AE4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom