I've reached the point of this project where I am going to be in need of some help, advise, criticism, and tech support. I'll start with a abbreviated back story: I picked up this somewhat straight 1981 SR5 pickup in 2008 looking for a project and means of honing my mechanic skills. Plus, I needed a stay at home hobby given my apparently proficient skill of creating offspring. Specs: pretty much stock, original 22r with 249,000 mi on the not working odometer, and ifs rearend. I'm the third owner and all of the original maintenance records came with the truck. After fighting with the carb and rust, I put a Weber 32/36 and desmogged it to get rid of the miles of vacuum hoses. After hours under the hood, I think the only problem with the stock carb was faulty wiring with the fuel cut solenoid - oh well. Although, I really wanted to keep the stock graphics, I couldn't stand the rust so: and the finished product (and as it sits today): After getting it more reliable (I'm still waiting for the motor to blow up), I met you guys and started having more fun with the truck. As is typical with this hobby, I didn't like not being able to follow or keep up with the other rigs in the group or the stock gearing offroad. So, I ponied up and put a set up of 4.7 gears in the transfer case and a zip locker in the rear. This satisfied my intermittent, at best, wheeling habits and made the rig much more capable offroad. Of course this only made me want to continue the upgrades - the reason for this thread.