1981 Pick-up Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also looking for misc t-case parts:

tcase mounts
Shifter base etc (I've got a shifter)
Drive shafts
Top shift tcase (if the price is right such that I can build my own doubler)

Also looking for misc t-case parts:

tcase mounts
Shifter base etc (I've got a shifter)
Drive shafts
Top shift tcase (if the price is right such that I can build my own doubler)

Side shift case is easy to convert for $0 if you cant find a top shift.

Santa put a few $ in my stocking this year and looking at starting to compile parts for duals. My main question is regarding shifter options. I like the triple stick options but have heard of problems with fitment. Looks like RAD Design and Davez have good products. Has anybody ran either unit with feedback? It looks like the Davez unit will work without a body lift but I've read the RAD Design unit doesn't - truth? Should I just go twin stick?

I'm running the RA Design unit and like it a lot, daves look nice too but always seems to be out of stock. FWIW, the only reason im running it is for my 3rd case, the shifters would be way to far back without it.

For dual cases just twin stick it, not worth the $$ and better off putting toward otjer things.

Well, it was a great day to be out under the truck doing some pre-wheeling trip looking around. While I knew it was probably time, I've created a project with too little time to complete.

So this is what I noticed:
IMG_2378.JPG

So I got to drawing
IMG_2377.JPG

And damn, plasma cutters kick ass
IMG_2379.JPG

And stopped here. Trying to decide if I should wrap it around the sides. The end result should gain me at least a few inches more than how it was mounted before.
IMG_2380.JPG

whutcha got there buddy????? :smokin::smokin::smokin: you are moving the 4.7 gears to rear case correct?

whutcha got there buddy????? :smokin::smokin::smokin: you are moving the 4.7 gears to rear case correct?

Yep. Got a lot of stuff to get done before the March ride - doubler install, modify tcase crossmember, driveshafts, finish rear bumper, add springs to front spring pack, and diff guards.

What about twin sticks for the dual cases?

Made a little progress today. Just got to figure out how to mark and drill the holes for the rear tcase mount.

IMG_2408.JPG

Hoping that my addition to the crossmember holds up. It's 1/4 inch but there's not a great way to reinforce the butt weld without hanging a bunch of metal off the bottom which I don't want to do. I tried to add a couple of metal coupons across the joint to help - we'll see.

IMG_2410.JPG

Could you add a 1" +/- vertical rib along each side, basically under the tall part of the mounts? Welded perpendicular to the flat plate. Did you bevel both sides to get a good penetration weld on it. I mean typically the weld is stronger than the base material, but having that extra weight hanging off could bend even a solid piece of plate. Adding even a single rib will dramatically increase the overall strength of the crewmember.

Could you add a 1" +/- vertical rib along each side, basically under the tall part of the mounts? Welded perpendicular to the flat plate. Did you bevel both sides to get a good penetration weld on it. I mean typically the weld is stronger than the base material, but having that extra weight hanging off could bend even a solid piece of plate. Adding even a single rib will dramatically increase the overall strength of the crewmember.

That's a good idea. I beveled the joint but I'm also worried about the weight. I'll get the tcases mocked up and see where I can add some bracing.

Well this is probably why I had vibrations at ~ 40 mph.

IMG_2414.JPG

So I cut the yoke at the weld and then 6" out of the driveshaft to fit with the duals.

IMG_2415.JPG

It was a good tight fit back in the tube and then welded. Do you think it'll hold up? It won't see speeds > 40 mph and primarily trails.

IMG_2416.JPG

If you were looking for road gear I would probably see about having it balanced and make sure the joints were in phase, but just for bumming around from trail to trail, I'd say you will be fine.

If you were looking for road gear I would probably see about having it balanced and make sure the joints were in phase, but just for bumming around from trail to trail, I'd say you will be fine.

Thanks. The joints are in phase but it ain't getting balanced :hillbilly:.

Possible parts truck for you ://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/d/1979-toyota-hilux-tacoma-pick/6506902078.html

Possible parts truck for you ://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/d/1979-toyota-hilux-tacoma-pick/6506902078.html

Thanks for the link and while I would love an excuse to go to Miami, that’s a little steep for my needs right now. There are actually 3 first gens being parted near me but I couldn’t justify another rust bucket in the driveway.

Sounds like you’re out for GSMTR this year but maybe we’ll get to catch up in ‘19 :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom