1980 FJ45 Not Starting After Rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1980 FJ45 with 2F motor. Has been running like a top. We recently just got our first significant rain here in FL, and my truck will no longer start after this rain event.

I pulled and cleaned the plugs. It will fire briefly with some starter fluid through the air intake but only for a second.

Any advice on where to troubleshoot? Are there any relays or fuses that can impact starting on a 2F?

I am not much of a mechanic behind oil changes, brake pads and other simple stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Cory

Sounds like you're not getting fuel. If you are brave, have someone start it while you poor gas down the butterfly valve. Not too much or you'll flood it.

Moisture on/in Distributor?
Maybe some WD40 sprayed in/on distributor and plug wires may help..

Wiggle the truck from side to side while looking into the sight glass on the front of the carburetor to see if you can see gas moving.

If not, you can use a very small funnel to pour gas through the brass nozzle in the top of the carb to fill the bowl manually until you see gas in the fuel bowl.

Unfortunately, a lot of rebuild kits come with rubber-tipped needles, which sometimes end up sticking to the seat that lets the gas into the carburetor. If this is the case, make sure you order a rebuild kit with a steel needle.

I can see "fluid" through the sight glass but it's milky, not clear like fuel. Pic attached.
20230608_151737.jpg

😱

Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor, put a bottle over it to catch the fuel, and see what comes out of the line when you crank the engine over.
And check the oil on your dipstick while you’re at it.

I can see "fluid" through the sight glass but it's milky, not clear like fuel. Pic attached.View attachment 3343947
Wow! Did you just put gas in it or by chance leave your gas cap off or loose. Do what Mark said above and run some fuel into a container. That sure looks like water mixed with your Gas

Is you gas tank under the truck for 1980 vintage? You might have a leaking sender gasket letting water in if you drove it in the rain. Or you have some other way water gets in.

My gas cap was stolen about a month ago. I have been keeping a ball of plastic jammed in the filler neck to keep moisture out, I guess some water got in. The truck does not have the original filler neck, so I cannot find a matching cap to replace it. I have purchased and tried 8 different caps and have not found a match yet. Probably going to have to replace the filler neck with a new one that comes with a cap.

Back to the water issue. I completely drained the tank with a surgical tube siphon. Tank is completely empty I could tell by tapping it (there is no drain plug on my tank that I can see).

I then added a bit of fuel drier, and a few gallons of mid grade unleaded fuel.

Is there another way to purge any remaining fuel that may be in the lines? I have pulled the fuel line going to the carb a few times and it looks like there is still some water.

I have cranked it probably a dozen times with a shot of starter fluid (and the new clean fuel) and it will run very briefly and choppy before dying again.

Is you gas tank under the truck for 1980 vintage? You might have a leaking sender gasket letting water in if you drove it in the rain. Or you have some other way water gets in.
Not sure, I assume it is the original tank, but I am not a Subject matter expert on these vehicles, first one I have owned. I did completely drain the tank dry, and put a few gallons of new clean midgrade fuel in it, still not starting. Could still be some water in the lines I guess.

Wow! Did you just put gas in it or by chance leave your gas cap off or loose. Do what Mark said above and run some fuel into a container. That sure looks like water mixed with your Gas
I drained the tank, and it looks like it may have had some water. Hard to believe that much could have gotten in as I did have the neck "plugged", but we get some "next level" rain here so I suppose it could have gotten in.

Now that tank has been drained, and new fuel added...any other tips? I would just take it to my mechanic...I have a good one...but when he gets busy he will just ghost you for a month and he must be busy atm.

Not sure, I assume it is the original tank, but I am not a Subject matter expert on these vehicles, first one I have owned. I did completely drain the tank dry, and put a few gallons of new clean midgrade fuel in it, still not starting. Could still be some water in the lines I guess.
Ball of plastic for the win!

Based on what gasoline usually does to plastic, I wouldn’t be surprised if you ultimately ended up having to change EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT in your fuel system.

Based on what gasoline usually does to plastic, I wouldn’t be surprised if you ultimately ended up having to change EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT in your fuel system.
I used HDPE plastic sheeting, just wadded up in a ball sitting at the top of the filler neck. There was only about 4 gallons of gas in the tank, I was not driving it or fueling it recently. I don't think it broke down at all or vaused the issue. I believe a fair amount of rainwater got in during a monsoon like rain event recently.

I have now completely drained the tank and added new fuel, the tank sounded completely empty once drained, I tapped all over the bottom with a 🪛 and confident there was no residual in there.

I think there may still be some residual water somewhere in the fuel lines however.

Remove the fuel line from pump to carby, and crank the engine (to operate the fuel pump) until you see clean fuel coming through.

Might be best to remove power to the coil or something along these lines to prevent anything sparking.

Change your fuel filter?
Empty the carb bowl?
Water in the fuel is not an end all for the carb. But it isn't going to run as long as there is water mixed in. Are you using ethanol blend fuel. If so, do as Mark said and run some in a glass container. When you get a sample shake it. If there is water it will turn milky or at the least cloudy. Might have to swap your fuel filter a few times.

Water is heavier than gas, so any water will eventually be on the bottom of the tank, then sucked by the pump and to the carb. You probably need to blow out the lines. drain the carb and remove and empty the tank. Today's fuel is oxygenated and has ethanol in it. The ethanol attracts moisture. Once the ethanol gets saturated with moisture the ethanol and water mix separates from the gas and falls to the bottom of the tank. What's left on top is crap. This is called phase separation. Idk if your in that situation yet. There is no economical way to regenerate the gas. It needs to be removed b4 new gas is added. I would also add a bottle of dry gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom