1979 Transfer Case Drip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.w2m.com
:cheers:,
I checked out a 79 FJ40 yesterday and noticed a drip coming from the transfer case.......hard to tell where axactly its coming from with all the skids,,appears to be dripping off the big drain bolt area,,,,below where the speedo cable plugs in....

thx for any help with this, I am debating on buying it...

What would be the worst case scenario to fix, or what might you think it would be???????

Sounds like there is an oil leak someplace. With the amount of air that blows oil around, it is difficult to tell where a leak is originating, unless you clean all of it off, and verify the levels in the gearboxes, and drive it around a little bit, not too long, and see where it is comming from.

could be:

Any of the gaskets or seals on the trans or t-case, could be engine oil that has blown rearward, and collected on the drain plug that you have noticed, could be a small crack in one of the gearbox cases, and it is slowly leaking out..

I had a guy bring a truck to me that had a small leak from the t-case, he said that he needed to as oil every three to four days...He could not figure out where it was comming from...turned out that the nose cone had cracked, and all but complelty fell off the t-case..Gotta love those older Cruiser cases!

Drive it. If it is not making any wild noises, do not let the leak drive you away, unless it is obvious that this vehicle has had a hard life, in which case, if you are looking for something nice, I would shy away from it.

Being on a computer in MN does not lend too well to telling you what is going on..Pics help, but sometimes do not relate the whole story either.

Good luck!

-Steve

ya thanks,
I will take off the skid under there and clean it up real good and drive it around a bit and take some digital's......

thx allot.....any one else?

Same thoughts here. Hard to tell. I think rear transfer case output is very common problem area, but could be lots of other places. It took me a year to finally nail all of my leaks, all of which were minor aggrevations and had nothing to do with the state of the vehicle.

A leaky valve cover gasket can show oil leakage on the length of the entire drivetrain, as mine does. However, I don't mind it, and actually am somewhat in favor of it as it keeps the engine and drivetrain easy to clean and mud just falls off. Just check your oil levels and you're fine.
What Steve said. Pics are a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom