Builds 1979 FJ40 Preservation-ish Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I could not be happier with this truck. I have had so much fun driving around with the family.

Thank you @dmaddox , Your build is amazing! Since you have already laid out the receipt, I might as well attempt to rebuild the original smog pump.

To-Do List:
Claridy A/C vent passanger - will most likely get 3D printed unless I can find one.
Steering linkage
Front axle full rebuild
Rear axle full rebuild - Possibly with with Air Locker*
Fab half doors

Apparently, the tire carrier squeak is a common problem. I have found solution that range from racquetballs to a complete badass hinge replacement kit with grease zerks from City Racer.

I disassembled the tire carrier hinge. I am still not sure what I will be doing for new hinges.

B0E02371-57C2-44A4-B6ED-C90887B1F3CA.jpeg
DCB3D391-16FE-4081-840E-1D098C05F357.jpeg
6F63439E-4ECD-4FE5-ADF2-2FD88C8AB858.jpeg

0A34EC20-4834-408D-875C-17C9CBC9F451.jpeg

Would new hinge pins from @SMG help?

Reactions: SMG
@tlaporte, The SMG windshield/door/hood pins are very nice. But my problem is the tire swing out hinges.

The City Racer Kit is exactly what I am looking for, but I did not expect to find it. Honestly, it kinda blows my mind that somebody has gone to this much trouble to solve a little problem on a 40 year old work truck.

I figured it would be a fun opportunity to come up with my own solution. But, at the same time, I do not think I could design and manufacture a single City Racer kit for under $220.

Time=Money is often forgotten here on mud.

Mate your 40 looks incredible! Awesome job!
Mine has been at the shop for weeks and I seeing your progress inspires the hell out me to keep moving along.

When you cut the new rear quarter panel in did you get the whole car re sprayed or just the patch blended it??

That's what's holding me back a bit with that repair. I'm worried if I cut and weld the new patch in, I won't be able to match the old original faded paint and I think it would look a bit out of place.

I originally wanted to re spray the whole car but after spending too much time here I've decided I want the original paint and coz 96% of it is fine I am struggling with the idea of a quarter panel that doesn't match.

Keep up the good work!!

@plink01 thank you for the support!

Just the rear quarter was repainted, we used a spectrophotometer to pull the color off of a nearby panel. A good paint guy should be able to match your existing color pretty closely. My truck was resprayed in the 90's (I believe) so we were trying to match a 26 year old sky blue. The new rear panel is the nicest panel on the truck, but it is also where my dog jumps in and out so over time, I am hoping she will blend in even better.

I love original paint and patina, so I would try and limit how much new color you put down. Do you have a build thread?

Ah k cool, thanks for your help. I'm going to take the car down to the local paint shop soon and i'll have a chat to them about it. I need some paint for the bezel and grill, I don't mind painting those, i'll ask about the colour matching then. I'm just a bit wary of touching the body paint as most of it is in really good condition.

Yup i got a build thread.

Builds - 'Little Yellowy' 1982 BJ42 LX build

The car is at the shop at the moment getting a sub fuel tank put in and the gearbox and transfer case is getting a freshen up. Once thats done all i have to do is replace all the cooling system and its ready for bulk adventures!

I bit the bullet and invested in the City Racer hinge pins. Pretty Impressive hardware, but more importantly no more rattle.

Pretty straight forward installation with a large hydraulic press.
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg

Last edited:
A little maintenance:

The brake master cylinder started to leak, and I've been ignoring a little fluid seeping from the clutch master cylinder.

Big thank you to @Onur at Tabasco Land Cruiser for showed me where to source the brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. New OEM hoses and accoutrements were supplied by the man himself. I am very thankful to have Onur back in the LC game.

ONUR- FOR THE WIN.jpg

My assistant will take it from here:
shop helper.jpg

complete brake and clutch MS cylinders.jpg

I also waxed and detailed the s**t out of this old girl!

Axle and brake rebuilds are up next.

I am also thinking about powder coat the intake box and fan shroud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom