Builds 1979 FJ40 Preservation-ish Project (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HA! At first, I thought that was a real drill in your boys hand.

Toy drill and a 3D printed adjustable wrench so he does not do any damage.
1B5D32FF-9BB2-41D4-B552-C8C8AF19EECF.jpeg

I was missing the heat shield that goes between the catalytic converter and the tub. I had know idea it was missing until I pulled up a diagram looking for an exhaust gaskets. Classic Cruisers had one in stock.

I scrubbed it with CLR and hammered out some dents. Overall I am very happy with the condition.
166C744A-5633-406C-9CDA-B34229F2716B.jpeg
71C9570A-FE62-415D-9711-3C2C989025B8.jpeg

I wonder if I will be able to ditch the 3/4” Dynapad floor mats I have been using?

Beautiful day for a test drive:

My 2F will not idle, she will start and run with a little pedal. But, she will not idle.

IH8MUD says to check the idle circuit solenoid. It does not click/engage when I turn on the ignition, so I ran a jumper wire to the solenoid and she starts and idles perfectly.

It looks like I am having trouble with the Emissions Control Module again.

Should I keep trying to repair ECM, look for a new ECM or just jump/tie the solenoid to the ignition?

I was missing the heat shield that goes between the catalytic converter and the tub. I had know idea it was missing until I pulled up a diagram looking for an exhaust gaskets. Classic Cruisers had one in stock.

I scrubbed it with CLR and hammered out some dents. Overall I am very happy with the condition.
View attachment 2564332View attachment 2564333

I wonder if I will be able to ditch the 3/4” Dynapad floor mats I have been using?
Don‘t count on it.

I swapped out the ECM with one that had been “professionally” refurbished. So far everything is functions properly.
C748276B-79ED-458E-90D2-1CFB3B70CCE3.jpeg

The “White Wire” mod is on standby if I ever have another issue with the ICS.

I am going to remove Air Injection System.

My goal is to clear out space in the engine bay, improve the esthetics and make it a little easier to service.

The plan is to remove the Air Pump, Air Rail, ASV system and the Top BCSV valve. I am going to try and not break anything so it call be put back on in the future.

The Before:

16AE0CA2-572B-420C-A81B-B8F7D6D51F06.jpeg

I started soaking the air injection adapters in the manifold with PB blaster about a week ago. I still managed up twisting the rear tube enough breaking the brazing on the injection tube.

Toyota makes block off plugs for the air injection ports in the exhaust manifold.
9A32D9C4-0E9D-4FCA-8613-DB947827DEF0.jpeg

A lot of people just use standard parallel M14x1.5 plugs, and some have even gotten away with 1/4NPT plugs.

This is the correct plug. It has the proper “seat” feature on the end of the plug that is designed to seal against its counterpart in the manifold just like the AI adapter.

I swapped out the ECM with one that had been “professionally” refurbished. So far everything is functions properly.
View attachment 2570988

The “White Wire” mod is on standby if I ever have another issue with the ICS.
This is intriguing. Can you provide any details on who/where this refurbishment was done? This may be a great service to both 79+ 40 owners, as well as many 60 owners who still run their computer. I have considered dropping mine off at a local electronics repair house to to through it and re-solder any questionable connections.

@AntFarm I bought a used ECM off of ebay for $65, and had a retired gentlemen who come in my shop go thru it. He is an old nuclear sub engineer who restores old HAM radios in his retirement. This was right up his ally.

He wanted a virgin ECM that I had not screwed up already. He was not too impressed with my first attempt.

I did come across G7 Computers - https://www.g7computers.com/ who looks like they could get this job done.

@OPMACHINE would you ever consider fabricating up some front exhaust manifold insulators? Looks like the one you have on your truck is still in decent shape. They tend to disintegrate with time and the factory part is NLA. I'm sure a bunch of folks would be interested in them.

@Oregon80fj40 we could remanufacture the exhaust manifold out of formed sheet metal and create something that would last a lifetime. I just need to find somebody that is willing to float the first article costs. The first one would be very expensive, the next 200 would be pretty reasonable.

I am still having trouble with the Fuel Cut Solenoid Valve and/or ECM. I am not getting +12v power to the FCS. I have continuity between the FCS and the Plug that goes into the ECM.

I need to figure out where the ECM pulls power from?

@Oregon80fj40 we could remanufacture the exhaust manifold out of formed sheet metal and create something that would last a lifetime. I just need to find somebody that is willing to float the first article costs. The first one would be very expensive, the next 200 would be pretty reasonable.
@OPMACHINE I'd be more than happy to throw in a few hundred bucks toward a future insulator project. It's probably not enough to get started, maybe others would raise their hands!

@Oregon80fj40 We could get it done.

I have been thinking about a production product for the 40series. I was thinking more along the lines of a an adapter to fit a M8274 winch into the stock front bumper.

I am slowly gearing up to build a rear bumper for my FJ45. The CAD model is about 50% complete. I am toying with the idea of a swing out tier carrier.

@Oregon80fj40 We could get it done.

I have been thinking about a production product for the 40series. I was thinking more along the lines of a an adapter to fit a M8274 winch into the stock front bumper.

I am slowly gearing up to build a rear bumper for my FJ45. The CAD model is about 50% complete. I am toying with the idea of a swing out tier carrier.
I could use a 8274 mount plate too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom