Builds 'Little Yellowy' 1982 BJ42 LX build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys I thought I'd make a build thread for my new 40. Mainly so I can ask stupid questions and keep a bit of history.
I bought this off an old guy who wasn't in the best shape. He had just had a triple bypass and was a bit over his head with his cars. He had three 40 series all in various stages of dismantled. I think his plan was he was going to make this 40 his best one coz it was an LX.

I bought it off him for $20,000 AUS, which I think turned out to be a pretty good deal. It came with a roadworthy certificate which are gold for a car this old. Our vehicle roadworthy laws appear to be way more intense then what you guys deal with in the States. Any major sign of rust has to be removed before you will be able to get the car registered, so for the car to come with the roadworthy makes it super easy for me to at least get it on the road.

I had been looking for a 40 for about a year or so and this one turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Any cheaper and generally they are full of rust and will need a body off restoration. Once you start getting around the $30,000 mark they are generally rust free and pretty original.
I didn't want an original 40, I would have felt too guilty modifying it. But I didn't want one that had been completely modified, I wanted to build it the way I wanted. So this one fit the bill perfectly, not 100% original but modified enough that I won't feel any guilt doing my thing. I was also happy the rear seats had already been removed, I didn't want them anyway but LX seats are crazy expensive now and I would have felt terrible removing them!

So I hired a car trailer and jumped in the 80 and did the 3 hour drive up the Hume Hwy to the New South Wales almost border town of Rutherglen to pick it up. I was a bit apprehensive, I had never towed another vehicle, and the 80 is already loaded to the hilt and would probably be close to its GVM as it is. We loaded it up and I took off taking it super easy. At first I was thinking 'what the hell am I doing!!?' It felt so f*%@#&g heavy! I was a bit worried about the clutch. But after an hour I started to relax a bit, the 80 actually towed it really well. I sat on about 85 - 90kmph the whole way home and stopped every half hour or so to check out the straps and made sure everything was going ok. It was a really long night but I was rapt that I got it home and I was super proud of the 80!

I had a small issue when I tried to register it, the previous previous owner never cancelled the registration on it. Even though it hadn't been on the road/registered for 5 years +, the registration was defined as 'expired.' I had done a vehicle check on it before I purchased it and I realised the rego was 'expired' but I had assumed that was all good, in my mind expired meant it is no longer registered and its free to register. But it isn't, it needed to be 'cancelled'. I nearly had a heart attack, my roadworthy certificate only lasted another week before it expired, which would have meant I would have had to organise another one. Half the reason I bought this car was because it came with the cert, none of the mechanics in my area would have certified it! So I rang the guy I bought it off and he drove around to the guy he bought it off and got him to cancel the registration. Lucky the guy still had the same address!

So I tried again the next day and it was a success! My dad is part of a car club and because the car is over 25 years it qualifies for 'club rego.' It's like a historical registration, it means I save $700 a year on registration but I can only drive it for 90 days a year and I have to fill a little log book out every time I drive it. 90 days should be enough, I ride my bike to work and I've still got the 80 so it shouldn't be a drama.

The car itself is a 1982 BJ42 LX. It has 356410km's on the clock. Its a 3B with the 4 speed. The plan is to keep it looking fairly clean and pretty basic. The 80 is my luxury camping car, this one is going to be a bit more back to basics. I will be taking it 4 wheeling a lot and its going to be used for what it was designed for. It will be doing medium to difficult sorts of tracks, mainly in the Victorian high country.

So far all I've done to it is change the oil and filter, fuel filter and airfilter. I replaced the bonnet latches and bought some cheap s*** Chinese mirrors. The mirrors were a massive waste of money, the glass is all warped and I feel like an idiot for buying them. I'm gonna blow a heap of money on some OEM ones.

The plan is short term to completely service all serviceable parts and fluids, the front diff is leaking pretty badly from the swivel housing so I'm going to overhaul both sides. Maybe get the diff housing sandblasted while I'm at it and re spray it. Im gonna order one of those Hell for Stout bumpers from the States and put a high mount Warn on it. An OME 2 inch lift and the widest 33inch BF KM3's I can fit on it without having to trim the guards. I think 10.5 is the widest I can put on from what I've read on here??
Once that's done I'll be ready to start taking it out in the bush.

Medium term I'll be putting some draws in the back and a fridge slide for my Engel. a Piranha dual battery tray. I'll be chucking a snorkel on it, I'm waiting for YOYOHO, a guy from this forum to finish making up some for the 3B. The safari snorkles are all mounted on the left, but the 3b air intake is on the right. I don't want to run the hose all the way across the engine. I'll be putting a long range tank in the back, an aussie locker in the rear, a really low profile roof rack with some spotties on it and maybe an awning.
Long term I want to find a 13bt for an engine swap and a full body respray. Maybe a 5 speed, I sort of like the 4 speed at the moment though. I'm hoping the 33's will increase my top speed just a bit. If anyone hears of any 13bt's in AUS floating about let me know!

So yeah that's the plan! Now for some photos.

Last edited:
20190716_214240.jpg
20190716_214805.jpg

Little Yellowy on the way home, I wouldn't want to have been sent over a weigh bridge!

20190723_092102.jpg

The white thing is a roof top spotlight, this was a hunting rig at some stage. I silicone'd up the hole in the roof today.

20190728_145107.jpg

Cat is back on the car, I'm not sure whats wrong with him!

20190921_162244.jpg

It came with a pretty crazy roof console! Its so rough I sort of like it, its grown on me. Im going to take it down and clean it up, maybe spray it and fix up all that wiring. The old tape deck head unit plays music through that uhf speaker. It actually feels like you have gone back in time listening to music in this thing, I like it! The UHF is fully functional.

20190921_162323.jpg

This is the worst of the rust, its pretty bad on the inside of the bonnet as well. If I can find a cheap rust free bonnet ill probably just replace the whole thing, otherwise ill have to get it cut out sometime in the future.

20190921_162343.jpg

This spot is pretty ordinary as well. I will be buying the quarter panel patch from Cool Cruisers when I order the bumper I think.

Last edited:
20190921_162518.jpg

This pic is pretty typical of the underside of the car. Cat isn't impressed. I think ill be sandblasting the diff housings, the rest ill be wire brushing/wire wheeling and maybe POR15. Its gonna be pretty tedious doing it from under the car in the driveway but the plan will be to dedicate 45 minutes a night to scrubbing it all back.
20190921_162920.jpg

The heater doesn't inspire me with much confidence. The fittings look a bit sketchy. I'm not sure why I'm gonna do about it yet. That carpet is all coming out.

20190921_162939.jpg

I'm really not sure why the stereo has been blanked out and put on the roof console, im worried what im going to find behind it! The stereo will be going back in the hole at some stage. I have done zero cleaning of the car at this stage, it probably hasn't been cleaned in over 5 years, I think its going to scrub up ok.

So yeah that's little Yellowy! I won't be knocking this thing up overnight, I'm just going to chip away at stuff. Snow season has just finished so I'm going to have a lot of weekends between now and Christmas to get stuck into it. I can't wait, seeing some of the builds you guys have done has given me heaps of inspiration and confidence.

Last edited:
Looks like a great rig! Can’t wait to see it cleaned up and personalized.

I got a little bit done yesterday, I replaced windscreen wipers, indicator assembly, radio attenna and checked out the glow plugs.

20190922_145825.jpg

Triple pack of wipers, almost like it was made for the LX! That's the OEM antenna beside it.
20190922_153625.jpg

That's the old antenna held together with sticky tape.

20190922_155454.jpg

Old with the new, they are pretty different, maybe the chrome one was already an aftermarket one?? Or I have been sold a fake Toyota antenna.
20190923_174825.jpg

New antenna! It goes super high, hopefully this will help pick up the local country music channel.

20190923_174833.jpg

New indicator assembly. I was a bit disappointed with them. They aren't Toyota, they are Terrain Tamer, still made it Japan. I have never had a problem with Terrain Tamer gear but I thought this was a bit ordinary. It doesn't seal as well as I would have liked and it's wired incorrectly. Maybe its wired for older or newer 40's or something. The assembly has 3 wires coming out, indicator, side indicator and parking light. Why wouldn't indicator and side indicator be joined together?? The wiring going from the car is indicator, parking light and earth/ground.
So the Terrain Tamer ones didn't have a ground wire, but from looking at it I think its pretty well grounded through the base, but the wire for the side indicator made no sense, there is no special wire for the side indicator coming from the car!!
I bridged it across to the normal indicator wire and it works fine, im just not sure why it wasn't like that to start with. I did a continuity test from the assembly to the body and it had very little resistance.

This is the second time I've been burnt by not buying Toyota. I have had Landcruisers since I was 18 and I used to think aftermarket was good enough/stronger and Toyota was overpriced. From checking out this site and paying more attention to detail, man I was so wrong. Toyota stuff just bolts straight in and its quality. I have no idea what I was thinking.

I found this in the FSM 3B engine manual that came with the car, I thought you guys might find it interesting. I have a ground wire going to the bonnet and I had no idea why. I was pretty confused about it and I still am a bit. I think I get it though.

It would put all the panels and engine at the same potential, helping to eliminate radio interference. I work on the power lines for a job and we used to do that a bit in the past. If there was too big a difference in potential between metal work it would cause interference on the AM band, and old granddad wouldn't be able to listen to the horse racing during Saturday arvo if he lived too close to the pole.

So we had to bond all steel work together with a copper conductor and it would generally fix the problem. We don't get it so much anymore but I think that also has to do with not as many people listening to AM. If you listen to AM a lot and you get a drop out at the same spot every day, have a look at the powerlines!

20190923_174631.jpg
20190923_174643.jpg

Bonded bonnet to body.

20190923_174955.jpg

After saying what I said about Toyota parts, my missus nearly had a heart attack when I told her I bought a Toyota genuine glovebox lid holder'er! It cost $30, I probably could have made one for $2.
The PO put a chain there and everytime you hit a bump it sounded like a relay clicking on and off and it drove me crazy.
The car did have the Toyota plug in light when I did the inspection, but I didn't notice the PO took it out till I got it home! I'm probably not going to tell the missus its gonna cost me $80 to get a new one.

20190923_191241.jpg

Great 40 there! It looks to be in great shape with just some cleanup needed.

Seems like the aussies like those overhead consoles. My BJ74 (from austalia) has one of those, although it was my by a console company, not home-made. Setup for CB. I found a small hole for I assume for CB antennae, that was sealed up and then a boat style connector to power something in the rear, as well as going to the rear bumper. Everything was done well, just trying to figure out the usage on some of my stuff.

Nice 40, and I like the 'earthing' discussion for the radio. The technical writing is terrible, but the content is great!

Sweet 42, I use to own a Mustard BJ 42 LX and it was an awesome truck. Its funny every time I hear about a 1982 BJ 42 LX in that color I think it might be it never should have sold it :(

Great 40 there! It looks to be in great shape with just some cleanup needed.

Seems like the aussies like those overhead consoles. My BJ74 (from austalia) has one of those, although it was my by a console company, not home-made. Setup for CB. I found a small hole for I assume for CB antennae, that was sealed up and then a boat style connector to power something in the rear, as well as going to the rear bumper. Everything was done well, just trying to figure out the usage on some of my stuff.

Yeah we love overhead consoles! I have had one in both my 70 series. I will eventually put one in the 80.

Yoyoho you should have kept the LX. I know its superficial as s*** but the 3 wipers is awesome! it makes it just that bit different.

The last two nights I've been cleaning the interior. Its come up really good, way better than I thought it would. I have just been using Armor All and a lot of the stuff I thought was permanent just wiped straight off. There was so much dog hair and probably human hair. It was pretty feral.
I ripped that gross carpet out from around the gear stick and it improved the look (and the smell) immediately. Im not sure what the PO's were thinking with that, maybe the heater was leaking a bit at some stage and that was sposed to help absorb the coolant or something.

20190925_165723.jpg

I also replaced the glow plugs. When I first bought the 40 it HATED starting cold, like it would crank for ages and when it finally did fire it would fill half the suburb with diesel fumes. It was a bit embarrassing really.
About a week later the battery died and left me stranded and needing a jump. I replaced it and it made a s*** ton of difference, it would fire up instant after a 15 second glow. Made it easily 60% better. The idle gets a bit rough though after about a minute, once the car is warm it idles beautifully. In the future I might add that switch that allows me to glow it while the engine is running.

I tested the plugs I had and they seemed to test ok, but when I spoke to the auto shop they said I had the wrong ones. They rekon they should be 8.5v, mine are 10.5v. So I replaced them and I think it might have made a little difference. I tested at the busbar before I bought them and it only has about 8.5v on it so these plugs seem right.

They coolest part about them is they make my glow light indicator work! It didn't work before with the old plugs and I thought the indicator was stuffed. I didn't have any hope of being able to find a new one, I didn't even know what it was supposed to look like when it was working. When I was glowing it yesterday I noticed a small orange light out the corner of my eye and I stopped immediately. Then I realised it was the indicator and I gave it a real glow and the thing lights up like a meteorite after 10 seconds!!

I'm not really sure why lowering the volts on the plugs brought it to life, maybe someone smarter then me knows??

20190925_165921.jpg

The last two nights I've been cleaning the interior. Its come up really good, way better than I thought it would. I have just been using Armor All and a lot of the stuff I thought was permanent just wiped straight off. There was so much dog hair and probably human hair. It was pretty feral.
I ripped that gross carpet out from around the gear stick and it improved the look (and the smell) immediately. Im not sure what the PO's were thinking with that, maybe the heater was leaking a bit at some stage and that was sposed to help absorb the coolant or something.

View attachment 2091285

I also replaced the glow plugs. When I first bought the 40 it HATED starting cold, like it would crank for ages and when it finally did fire it would fill half the suburb with diesel fumes. It was a bit embarrassing really.
About a week later the battery died and left me stranded and needing a jump. I replaced it and it made a s*** ton of difference, it would fire up instant after a 15 second glow. Made it easily 60% better. The idle gets a bit rough though after about a minute, once the car is warm it idles beautifully. In the future I might add that switch that allows me to glow it while the engine is running.

I tested the plugs I had and they seemed to test ok, but when I spoke to the auto shop they said I had the wrong ones. They rekon they should be 8.5v, mine are 10.5v. So I replaced them and I think it might have made a little difference. I tested at the busbar before I bought them and it only has about 8.5v on it so these plugs seem right.

They coolest part about them is they make my glow light indicator work! It didn't work before with the old plugs and I thought the indicator was stuffed. I didn't have any hope of being able to find a new one, I didn't even know what it was supposed to look like when it was working. When I was glowing it yesterday I noticed a small orange light out the corner of my eye and I stopped immediately. Then I realised it was the indicator and I gave it a real glow and the thing lights up like a meteorite after 10 seconds!!

I'm not really sure why lowering the volts on the plugs brought it to life, maybe someone smarter then me knows??

View attachment 2091286

I have that light (it's a coil) on my 1994 Kubota Tractor. It's just a visual indicator of how hot the glow plugs are getting. You absolutely do need the correct voltage glow plugs. It's wired all together, in series with parallel connected glowplugs. Change glow plug voltage or mess with that coil to a regular light, and it messes with the glowplug system.

I have that light (it's a coil) on my 1994 Kubota Tractor. It's just a visual indicator of how hot the glow plugs are getting. You absolutely do need the correct voltage glow plugs. It's wired all together, in series with parallel connected glowplugs. Change glow plug voltage or mess with that coil to a regular light, and it messes with the glowplug system.

Yup sorry I meant coil. I thought it was stuffed and I thought there is no way I'll be able to find a new one.
Can you think of a reason why previous owner would install higher voltage glow plugs?
It definately seems to work better now and the indicator now works correctly.

Yup sorry I meant coil. I thought it was stuffed and I thought there is no way I'll be able to find a new one.
Can you think of a reason why previous owner would install higher voltage glow plugs?
It definately seems to work better now and the indicator now works correctly.

My guess is that the previous owner thought higher voltage glow plugs would provide more glow power/heat. Right, higher number more heat??? Well, thats the opposite of what happens.
On a higher voltage glow plug, it will actually take LONGER to get up to heat. If you put in lower voltage glow plugs, it would heat up faster, but they would burn out much quicker.
I had this same issue on an old HJ45 I had.

For a 12V BJ42, you need 8.5V glow plugs. After 15-20 seconds it should start lighting up that coil meaning you are ready to go.

My guess is that the previous owner thought higher voltage glow plugs would provide more glow power/heat. Right, higher number more heat??? Well, thats the opposite of what happens.
On a higher voltage glow plug, it will actually take LONGER to get up to heat. If you put in lower voltage glow plugs, it would heat up faster, but they would burn out much quicker.
I had this same issue on an old HJ45 I had.

For a 12V BJ42, you need 8.5V glow plugs. After 15-20 seconds it should start lighting up that coil meaning you are ready to go.

Yeah that's the same theory I had. I didnt understand the higher voltage, slower heat up part though.

That would explaine why I never saw the glow coil light up. I had probably glowed it for 20 seconds MAX at the longest attempt and the coil didnt change a bit.
On your theory if I had glowed it for 30 - 40 seconds plus maybe the coil would have lit up.

After 15 seconds now that indicator is lit up like a fireball and it fires up instantly.

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom