For Sale 1978-ish (hybrid: wheeler/retro tribute) FJ40 (NY) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

img_20131019_125028_195-jpg.819696

This is an initial posting of my FJ40. I may sell it as-is, or I may put the final push on to "finish" it. Either way the price will be appropriate to it's condition at the time... I will decide based on response I get here and other factors.

I have owned this truck for 10 years or so - well, at least I have owned the frame/title for 10 years... most of the rest of the truck has come to me since that initial purchase.

I built this to look like an older 40 (split hood, older style doors, bib with parking lights, round fender turn signals, one-piece tailgate, windshield with top wipers, OEM FST bows and top) but with the "modern" underpinnings of a '78 cruiser. (Down below is a list of what has been done, added, modified etc.)

I have had this insured, inspected and registered and on the road for about a year now. It is legal and safe to drive... but it is not DONE done. It starts right up and runs/idles and goes and stops fine. It has MAYBE 500 miles on it since it was back on the road. It was daily driven 25 miles/day for a couple of weeks recently by a friend of mine that needed a loaner to get to back and forth to work.. he reported it worked well.

The GOOD
What is included, has been done:

- 1978 FJ40
- Second gen Aqualu 3/4 tub
- Tub off: frame hand scraped, sanded, primed and painted
- Cowl removed derusted (surface only) and primed & painted in and out
- OEM one piece tailgate (needs sand and paint - no rust)
- Early split hood with chrome strip
- Early bib with new OEM parking lights
- Rust free fenders with new OEM turn signal lights
- Early windshield with top mount working wipers
- Custom top half ambulance doors to go with the tailgate
- Bestop rear fold/tumble seat
- Left and right side OEM plate style tire carriers
- Hardtop with the small flip out windows
- Early hard doors
- Second set of early hard doors to fab into 1/2 doors
- Aluminum diamond plate 1/2 doors
- New OCD OEM style soft top (brand new, top grade fabric)
- OEM soft doors
- New MetalTech Family cage with frame tie ins
- New "Hell for Stout" CCOT 8274 bumper
- Celica seats
- Rebuilt heater

- 1979 2F desmogged, resealed, regasketed
- Carb rebuilt by Jim Chenoweth
- Large style distributor with “dented” side cover w/new OEM gasket
- H55f 5 speed w/shifter
- 5 speed glove box plate
- Split Transfer case (rebuilt with OEM parts)
- Rear springs were flipped to allow for the longer trans/transfer, rear wheel wells were opened up rearward to keep the wheel centered in them
- New OEM clutch, OEM pilot and throw out bearings
- New OEM manifold gasket
- New OEM valve cover gasket
- New OEM front and rear main seals
- 1982 FJ40 rear axle with stock parking brake mechanism
- New parking brake cable
- Late FJ40 parking brake lever mounted to trans cover
- New OEM gas tank
- New OEM early round turn signals
- New springs approx 4” lift
- New 4+ U bolt flip kit installed on all 4 corners
- OEM wheels with new OEM hubcaps (5)
- New 33” BFG 33x9.50 AT/KOs (5)
- DB front OEM rebuilt, brake parts, upgraded/rebuilt to large pattern (FJ62) knuckles
- Rebuilt calipers, new OEM rotors
- ARP hub studs
- Heavy duty knuckle ball wipers and rings
- Knuckles rebuilt with new OEM knuckle studs and all OEM bearings etc
- Rear new OEM brake shoes
- New OEM axle seals rear
- Heavy duty relay rod (4+) to manual Saginaw steering box w/1 ton end at Pitman
- AISIN locking hubs
- Longfield (Bobby Long version) Birfields and shafts
- Marlin heavy duty/double axle seals front
- Diffs: Rebuilt with new 4.56 gear & ARB air lockers front and rear
- New Headlight upgrade harness (direct from battery)
- Headlight upgraded to New H4 bulb enclosures
- Saginaw pump and PS box
- "Upgrade" 1992 Supra seats installed
- OEM one-piece rust free tailgate sanded/painted to match truck.
- Half barn doors sanded/painted, new OEM lock installed.
- Doors adjusted to improve alignment. New OEM door lock installed
- Front winch mount bumper installed
- Mounted WS hinge sideview mirrors
- Mounted spare tire carrier and latch
- Hooked up speedo cable

The Bad:
Things it needs/should be wrapped up that I already have parts for:

- Front driveshaft (I have a shaft that could be length modified to fit).
- FST bow (not repros) need to be fixed (there is a bend in one cross bow - I have a spare piece to cut/weld in), "B" pillar needs a spot weld.
- FST bows need sand/paint.
- FST bows need to be installed. (probably not an issue, I just have not done it yet)
- Bedliner/paint inside of tub from the seats back.
- Install Saginaw PS (it has Saginaw manual steering from the PO so this should be simple)
- Install Bestop rear fold/tumble seat (optional but it is on MY list).
- Install anti-inversion shackles on rear springs.
- Install caster shims in front (steering is a little twitchy)
- Install hood strut/pistons
- Clean glass all around (has some overspray and old window tint from the PO)
- Paint wheels (they are in primer now)
- Install new weatherstrip on doors (I have a bunch of new OEM pieces)
- Weld in cage frame tie-ins
- Install proper fuel tank vapor separator

------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure there is more info to share and I'm sure there are lots of questions so please ask...

PRICE AS-IS: (with the adjusted list of what has been done and not done) plus the parts mentioned above: $22,000
Let's talk if you don't want the ARB, soft top or some of the other parts as yet uninstalled.

Price DONE DONE: not sure but I'm thinking I will finish it, spiff it up and take it out to the (wealthy summer playground) Hamptons in the spring and put a $26,000 price on it.

Located on Long Island, NY - I have a trailer and could probably deliver it for some negotiated price that would probably be less than a transport company.

Going to the Yankee Toys Fall Gathering this week but I will post current pics in the next few days.

A sort-of build thread with some older pics is here:
FJ40... progress

Mark

Last edited:
Bump...

So i have done some more work on the 40... from the "bad" list above, these are now done.

- "Upgrade" seats installed (I have a nice pair of seats from a 1992 Celica that need some slider/bracket modification to get installed).
- One-piece tailgate needs sand/paint to match truck.
- Half barn doors need sand/paint).
- Overall I'd want to adjust doors etc to improve alignment. They all work but could be better.
- Front winch bumper needs a couple of bolts to be mounted properly
- Mount WS hinge mirrors
- Mount spare tire carrier(s) (I was planning on mounting left & right side OEM flat plate carriers and modding one to hold a jerry can - I have all of the parts)
- Hook up speedo cable to back of cluster

I'm going through the details - it looks incredible - I have my heart set on a Diesel - but going through all the details... this has to be considered...

I sent this info to you in our conversation but thought it would be useful here too:

You asked why I'm selling...
Answer:
I am looking to build my FJ45LV and all of my cruiser funds are tied up in the 40. I ALWAYS* wanted a 40, which is why I really don't want to sell it... but something has to give and unless I win the lottery or decide to off the LV project the 40 is it i think.

I built it expecting i would have it for the rest of my life. Everything I did I did with that expectation.

(*since I saw one in the Jack Sherman Toyota showroom in my hometown of Binghamton, NY in about 1974)

First one I remember seeing was in (around) Clinton, MD when I was in 7th grade (ish). Would have been in the 70's --- always thought they were bad to the bone.

I figured I could do something with my Son that we could both enjoy.

Almost spring bump.... now is the time to pick this up with plenty of time to enjoy it over the summer!

I am willing to adjust what is included (extra uninstalled parts, soft top, ARB diffs etc) to make the price fit your budget... let's talk.

The interior needs a good detailing to look really nice... plus these are crappy cell phone pics... Note: any brown (rust color) you see is overspray from the red/brown primer I used on the exterior of the cowl (the interior was painted before I got to the outside). There is zero rust.

IMG_20160330_091750_568.jpg

IMG_20160330_091800_155.jpg

IMG_20160330_091817_910.jpg

IMG_20160330_091824_707.jpg

IMG_20160330_091835_826.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom