1977 Heater box restore help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I’m in the middle of restoring my 1977 FJ40 heater box’s front and back. Did a search and looked at FAQ and could not find what I was looking for. Looking for the color of the plastic top portion of the front heater in spray can. Is it just gloss black or a dark grey. Also is the Auxiliary heater the pewter grey everything else is on the 40? Last has anyone found the plastic flange bushings for the control arms. Thank you.

Lucas

Dark grey

IMG_0626 (2).JPG

Dunno what spray color would match - this is original plastic, cleaned up. For the plastic bushings, I just bit the bullet and bought the rebuild kit from SOR. Rear heater is pewter.

Dark grey

View attachment 2869168

Dunno what spray color would match - this is original plastic, cleaned up. For the plastic bushings, I just bit the bullet and bought the rebuild kit from SOR. Rear heater is pewter.
@TheHardWay that looks great. Question, how did you clean it up? Polish it? Any wax or solution? Would love to not paint it. Thanks for the help!

@TheHardWay that looks great. Question, how did you clean it up? Polish it? Any wax or solution? Would love to not paint it. Thanks for the help!
Must be lucky - rebuilt the heaters on all of my rigs (from AZ, NV and NM) and only needed mineral spirits and an old t-shirt to rub off grungy dust, then buffed off the haze and voila :cool:

Must be lucky - rebuilt the heaters on all of my rigs (from AZ, NV and NM) and only needed mineral spirits and an old t-shirt to rub off grungy dust, then buffed off the haze and voila :cool:
@TheHardWay I’ll give it a good old Land Cruiser try. You never know what might come out! Thanks for all the help.

Some light open flame can also be a great way to restore old plastic, just need to be careful.

Some light open flame can also be a great way to restore old plastic, just need to be careful.
@DangerNoodle i have heard that. I have to admit it scares me a bit. I don’t want to melt it. I might try the back of the heater box. Thanks for the reminder!

@DangerNoodle i have heard that. I have to admit it scares me a bit. I don’t want to melt it. I might try the back of the heater box. Thanks for the reminder!

Yep, I heard about it too.......having an old faded OEM steering column cover, I replaced it with a new one, so thought I'd give it a go. All was well until it wasn't, MELTED. That is a fickle-fickle procedure, just take your time.

Me, needless to say, I ended up just purchasing another new one for a back-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom