1977 FJ40 Basic Wiring Help - Holley Sniper, Dakota Digital, DUI Dizzy, Mean Green Alt., ARB Comp., Fuel Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It seems that to do the Sniper, use the carb solenoid wire to signal a relay, it is closer to the battery, and it leaves the OEM alternator and regulator an option? If you branch off of the positive terminal, do it with fusible link.

It seems that to do the Sniper, use the carb solenoid wire to signal a relay, it is closer to the battery, and it leaves the OEM alternator and regulator an option? If you branch off of the positive terminal, do it with fusible link.

Do you have a pic? My carb solenoid wire is on the driver’s side. My battery is on the passenger’s side. Am I missing something?

I forgot. My '75 has the solenoid and water temp sender from the middle of the engine bay on the firewall, yours is on the driver's side. Either way, it is the same circuit, however, the carb idle circuit solenoid is just a bullet connector, which is more plug-and-play.

These were previously hooked up to the OEM ignition coil and ballast resistor.

Do I need to reconnect the purple wire before the ignition will key on? Does it go to ground?

50-C8-AAE7-C074-4-DA5-BEC7-5866-D2174-E38.jpg

Never mind. I forgot to wire the old OEM alternator B+ terminal.

F643-A754-353-C-486-E-9535-B7009-CD0-DC80.jpg

The +12 volt ignition relay setup works great, and the ARB compressor cycles on and fills the tank. I've got an air leak on one of the fitting threads (cheap pre-applied sealant). I applied fresh Permatex sealant w/ PTFE. Hopefully everything holds tight after 24-hour cure. I should have checked all the fittings at the same time, but now can't cycle the compressor back on until after cure time.

The goal for tomorrow is wire in the Holley Sniper and/or the Dakota Digital dash. Thanks for all the help!

Ok, I'm back at it this weekend! Trying to finalize this wiring install and working on the Dakota Digital dash today.

I'm trying to wire in the Parking Brake indicator.

The switch under the dash at the pull handle has the same colored wires on both sides of the terminal. Green/yellow on both sensor-side terminals, and red/white on both chassis-side terminals. Which wire should I splice for the DD parking brake input?

B240610-B-5-F3-D-47-E3-9-EB1-D16304-FF5-C8-D.jpg

17-A7-D357-B35-B-461-A-A8-A8-10-F312-AE2-B31.jpg

Well, I got the Dakota Digital installed. The Parking Brake light isn't working. It might be the sensor mechanism itself, because the OEM light isn't working either. Everything else seems to be working. I got the fuel level gauge calibrated, and parking lights/signals/high beams all work.

93-D8-D1-B1-D9-CC-48-B4-B6-A6-8-E79-FB37-A1-EA.jpg

Anybody know why I have this exclamation point on the display? Because fuel is on "empty"?
F95524-C7-71-FD-475-F-813-E-40-F76194-A4-FE.jpg

I need to plumb the fuel filler tube and vent lines, then I can fill it with fuel (and hopefully fire it up!).

I like your electrical journey. Any updates?
Thanks! I ended up selling the FJ40 and moved to an HZJ75 diesel pickup. Both builds are in my signature!

That’s awesome. Where did you pick that up from?
The HZJ75? From an importer in California. It was originally a military/police vehicle from Qatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom