Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put off doing major work today to gather my courage and take care of some little stuff.

Tightened the top cap screws where it leaked the worst and figured out a clever way to fix the shrinkage gaps in the window welts.

IMG_20230517_193607542.jpg

Take your standard window welt material and cut it to whatever length you need.

IMG_20230517_193513604.jpg

Cut off the locking side, leaving just a little bit of the material.

IMG_20230517_193537583.jpg

Throw a thin layer of clear sealant where it touches the glass and metal, and pop that sucker in.

IMG_20230517_193600939.jpg

It's not perfect or pretty, but stops the leaks.

I put off doing major work today to gather my courage and take care of some little stuff.

Tightened the top cap screws where it leaked the worst and figured out a clever way to fix the shrinkage gaps in the window welts.

View attachment 3325617

Take your standard window welt material and cut it to whatever length you need.

View attachment 3325618

Cut off the locking side, leaving just a little bit of the material.

View attachment 3325619

Throw a thin layer of clear sealant where it touches the glass and metal, and pop that sucker in.

View attachment 3325620

It's not perfect or pretty, but stops the leaks.
The sagacious art of field expedience…🏆

I've got one of these tool rolls and absolutely love it. It has saved my arse all over the country. It lives in my motorcycle luggage most of the time.

Had a light 5 mile hike on Wednesday with the dog and attempted a 10+ miler today. At what i "thought" was the halfway point, my left heel told me it was done, so I took the so called short cut.

Unfortunately, hiking doesn't always have a logic, soni ended up doing 8+ miles due to terrain irregularities. Freaking beautiful country though. Dog successfully harvested all the ticks on the eastern seaboard though.

IMG_20230524_192903707.jpg

A pair of catahoulas showed up to camp next to us.

IMG_20230525_094913918.jpg

Freaking Tennessee beauty

IMG_20230525_111816362.jpg

IMG_20230525_112103169.jpg

Stopped by O'Brien's country cooking. It's been on a couple YouTube episodes and exceeded expectations.

You know when you discover an interesting, new to you build that's up to many pages and much time elaped, so you leap ahead to the latest post to see where it's today? Good to see Mavis kept her look.
Those paint colors almost make you want to grab the satin clear coat and go right over it. I guess you could patch the holes, first. Nice looking truck! Lots of potential!
@SteveH called it. Now to go back to the start.

You know when you discover an interesting, new to you build that's up to many pages and much time elaped, so you leap ahead to the latest post to see where it's today? Good to see Mavis kept her look.

@SteveH called it. Now to go back to the start.
The big challenge is how to incorporate the sill replacement into the overall scheme.

No pictures, but I've successfully solved all the electric gremlins except the temp gauge.

I was following the wire diagram too literally and didn't have power running to the brake switch. Both wires were green/white. Once I combined those two wires to one fitting and plugged the spare red/white power wire into the others, the brake lights and turn signals started working.

Only catch is the right turn dash indicator doesn't want to work, but it's wired correctly so I suspect corrosion.

Also, the left turn signal needs continuous pressure on the stalk to keep blinking. But that's ok, I call it self cancelling.

I have new seat covers coming today and I had my left rear brake lock up the other day and I think I have the fix for that. More later.

Had a light 5 mile hike on Wednesday with the dog and attempted a 10+ miler today. At what i "thought" was the halfway point, my left heel told me it was done, so I took the so called short cut.

Unfortunately, hiking doesn't always have a logic, soni ended up doing 8+ miles due to terrain irregularities. Freaking beautiful country though. Dog successfully harvested all the ticks on the eastern seaboard though.

View attachment 3332328
A pair of catahoulas showed up to camp next to us.

Freaking Tennessee beauty

View attachment 3332330
My balls are sweating just looking at that picture. I don't know how you Southerners do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom