1967 FJ40 Rebuild Project: I Need Some Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Hood Spear is hard to find/replace, so be cautious.

Gauges are very similar over the years, but you need to match the sender to the guage... Some changes happened over the years (ask here... Some have answers). That may be why you've got aftermarket Guages to work with the 2F.

Ok. Great to know that! I'll check it out. Thanks.

Definately a 65,but very common to be registered later on. Looks like a great start to making your wallet much lighter!! You will find out as much as we all have here in mud, it becomes a lifestyle!!

Interesting. That's odd but I'll take your word for it. And yeah, it already is $ lol

I'm excited to begin the journey then. :D

Test that flasher relay before you replace it. They are pretty simple inside and you never know, it may still work. Be aware though, that the old bi-metalic ones like this one are load sensitive, so you'll need to have an electrical load on it as big as what the vehicle was originally equipped with (or bigger) in order to make it blink properly (in other words, you'll need both front and rear signal lights hooked up). Too high of a load will make it blink fast, too low will make it not blink at all. Or just replace the lights with LED's and the flasher relay with an LED specific unit... Looks to me like you've got bigger fish to fry before you get to that, though.

Ok I'll give it a test and see how it's working.

Good to know. By "load" do you mean like overall electrical capacity?

And yeah, it may be a few weeks down the road until I get to that part but it's always helpful to know what is what and how to work with it so I appreciate the info!

Welcome! If the engine has sat, can I suggest pulling the spark plugs and throwing some sort of lubricant in there - Some people use auto tranny fluid, some use diesel, some use Marvel Mystery Oil or something. Then, let it soak overnight or for a couple of days and crank the engine by hand, with a socket on the crank pulley (obviously, ignition off, you don't want her to start at this point, or leave the spark plugs out) just to make sure that the rings aren't rusted to the cylinder walls, and if they are, break them free without major damage.

Jud, I recommend you clean all the ignition switch contacts, replace any broken wires, etc. The flasher appears to have a missing wire it might be the white wire but you need to verify prior to re-connecting.

IMG_7613_zpsopzroo7q.jpg

Hey Mike!

Ok. I will definitely do that and let you know how it goes. :)

Jud one more thing I noticed the bezel is upside down, you may want to fix that before the bezel mud police get you. BTW the bezel is what's holding the Colorado license plate in place and runs around the headlights.

full

Beware of the Bezel police!

full

Haha That's great. The bezel police. Alright I will do! Good to know. Some body before me flipped that and then proceeded to drill holes into it where the license plate now is...guess I'll be patching those holes after I flip it back over.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Welcome! If the engine has sat, can I suggest pulling the spark plugs and throwing some sort of lubricant in there - Some people use auto tranny fluid, some use diesel, some use Marvel Mystery Oil or something. Then, let it soak overnight or for a couple of days and crank the engine by hand, with a socket on the crank pulley (obviously, ignition off, you don't want her to start at this point, or leave the spark plugs out) just to make sure that the rings aren't rusted to the cylinder walls, and if they are, break them free without major damage.

Hey there!

That's a great recommendation. I will have to look into that at some point soon! Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom