Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

subzali said:
You could always go to 60 series or 80 series seats, and then it would still be Cruiser, and maybe a little more comfy :)

EDIT: Ooh 1000th post on this thread and my 100th post total...cool :cool:

I like that idea of the 60 or 80 series seat, probably keep my ear to the ground for a set of those. Easy to make that new mount if required and swap out seats.

Matt

buckroseau said:
I like that idea of the 60 or 80 series seat, probably keep my ear to the ground for a set of those. Easy to make that new mount if required and swap out seats.

Matt

Matt, '60 seats are OK but if you are swapping in seats, '60 series wouldn't be my first choice. Take that for what it's worth from a '60 series owner who drives across the continent both ways!! Look to seats from a European vehicle they seem to be quite comfy but I've got no idea what might fit.

Since were on the subject of seats I have a question for anybody who may have some insight to what I am about to ask...

Does anybody know a company/website where I can obtain fabric/cloth/vinyl for seat upholstery? Possible sights for making your own seat covers? Also, I need the piping for around the edges of the seat (that plastic round stuff along the edge of the seat? I actually need piping for the edge of the headliner also. I guess I figure a company selling the fabric or cloth for seats would probably have the piping too?

This maybe a question for 40 tech, but thought I would throw it out there? I did a little searching on the net and not finding what I want, although not exactly sure what I'm looking for???

I figured Treeroot might have a stash of sites at his disposal for seat stuff? ;)

Talking to the wife tonight and she's thinking that over x-mas her Mom and Grandma could come up and hammer out the seat covers. Her Mom and Grandma are old school when it comes to sewing stuff and her Grandma has got this heavy duty sewing machine? I know it sounds crazy, but I have seen both of these women's work and it is top notch (Grandma still lives on a farm and that's where mom was raised). I have the old seat covers off the buckets and the rear LV seat. Those gals would strip those covers down, make templates and whip up a new set, pleated an all.

Anyone?......Bueller?.................Bueller?...................

Thanks, Matt

Edit: Found this website

http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/index.html

Looks like everything I need? Fabric/Vinyl, carpet, carpet backing, piping, auto thread, and how to book? Should work??

Last edited:
matt.
once again i'm impressed with the quality of work you guys are doing on the wagon. i saw brett at pismo (surf-n-truf) this weekend and your LV came up during our conversation. we're both waaaaay stoked that you ended up with it. one day when we meet i'm gonna have to tell you the story of how i "rescued" that LV and thought i was gonna get killed for sure on the way home. and yes, i did drive it most of the way. scarry to say the least..........

My daughter was able to find material and all that sort of stuff at a place that sells regular upholstry fabric. She was about to recover her FJ55 seats but at the last minute found a perfect FJ55 seat. PM me if you need more info.

buckroseau said:
Talking to the wife tonight and she's thinking that over x-mas her Mom and Grandma could come up and hammer out the seat covers. Her Mom and Grandma are old school when it comes to sewing stuff and her Grandma has got this heavy duty sewing machine? I know it sounds crazy, but I have seen both of these women's work and it is top notch (Grandma still lives on a farm and that's where mom was raised). I have the old seat covers off the buckets and the rear LV seat. Those gals would strip those covers down, make templates and whip up a new set, pleated an all.

My sister is making a set of rear long jump seat covers for my cruiser. She went to a marine outfitter, got marine grade vinyl, some kind of super strong rot resistant thread, dense foam for the cushions and the nylon piping stuff. She thinks it will be a 2 bananna job. The hard part is the sewing. She has one of those old treadle sewing machines. Claims it will do the job better than her new computer controlled plastic one :) I think your two gals will do a fine job on the covers. Sounds like they have lots of experience.

BTW read somewhere that smooth .050 weed whacker line works great for the piping.

Matt, if you like the size and shape of 60 seats (I think they look more in keeping with the truck than Celica seats, for example), you need to check out Specter's seat foam for them, it's da bomb. I've not spent hours driving a truck with them, but sat in three trucks with Marv's new cushions and it's really, really nice. I agree that stock, worn 60 seats are no good for long distance travel, but the new foam makes all the difference. Maybe his new foam for the 45 bench is as good...but buckets are shaped better for spending time in.

Steve

anything will work for the piping as long as it is big enough for you....

lawn mower 0.050 thread is good when wrap in the vinyl and sewed over. what is fun with that is you can buy different vinyl color for the trim...

electrical wiring will work also!

Check out this link to the site above. Matching welting to any of the fabric or vinyl they sell. This would work perfect for around the headliner edge.

http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/emwelcor.html

Matt
piping.JPG

Last edited:
Looking great. Understand what you mean by you already have the 79 seats and price is right but I question if you are going through all this work (grandma coming up and making covers, ordering fabric ect) wouldn't rather just do it right the first time and be done with it. Personally if you are going for comfort by going with buckets why not get something with 2 armrests, all kinds of adjustments possible and maybe even heated......? Just my thoughts. If you are going to do it, do it like you have done this project from the beginning BALLS TO THE WALLS. ALL OUT. Whatever you decide I am sure it will look sweet and we will all be impressed. Good Luck

:cheers:

buckroseau said:
Check out this link to the site above. Matching welting to any of the fabric or vinyl they sell. This would work perfect for around the headliner edge.
Matt

The edge has a relif cut in it if you look close. Another thing is the stock trim has both sides folded in toward the middle so you can hide the staples under the flaps.

I haven't found much online for fabric. In Denver, there are tons of upholstery shops down off Evans. Only thing is they are usually unmarked and you need to know what door to knock on. You wouldn't believe how much stuff those places carry. Last one I went to had the walls covered with small 2" samples and full rolls of everything available in the back. Most of them carry hardware as well.

This one is the same pattern SOR made their LV hedliners out of:
http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/whittierhead.html
This one actually looks pretty close to OEM:
http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/whitcrathead.html
old.jpg
yourautotrim-store_1870_73101712.jpg
yourautotrim-store_1870_9113192.jpg

Last edited:
treerootCO said:
The edge has a relif cut in it if you look close. Another thing is the stock trim has both sides folded in toward the middle so you can hide the staples under the flaps.

The cut in that edge is ok, the welting fabric that goes over the top would cover that up fine I think. Not sure if your thinking that would be an issue with those cuts in or not?

Your right about that stock trim that goes over the top with the folds to cover the staples. That is the stuff SOR sells for $52 bucks, and that same stuff we looked at in one of your LV's Mike when I was at your place a month ago. It was about and inch wide initially and then folded a 1/4" over and sewed about an 1/8" in from the edge.

I don't see a problem making it, the problem I see is getting a 50 ft long piece of vinyl an 1" wide. I didn't see anything on that site that narrow :confused:

Can't use SOR's because it is the wrong color, but obviously someone must make it?

Matt

Mike,

Can you take a pic of the edge of one of your headliners where the weltling trim has been removed?

I'm thinking for some reason now that the the wood strip goes on top of the headliner now?

And then the piping and welting trim would go on top of the wood?

Confused?

Thanks, Matt
piping2.JPG

buckroseau said:
Mike,

Can you take a pic of the edge of one of your headliners where the weltling trim has been removed?

I'm thinking for some reason now that the the wood strip goes on top of the headliner now?

And then the piping and welting trim would go on top of the wood?

Confused?

Thanks, Matt

It does, that is correct. I'll take a pic when I get home...

treerootCO said:
It does, that is correct. I'll take a pic when I get home...

The pic you posted on the headliner thread a few moments ago is what set me straight.

More pics would be helpful though, corners also if you don't mind :D

I know I'm a PITA, but my headliner was totally gone and most of the wood was rotted out.

Thanks, Matt
piping3.jpg

I suggest using the troopy 40/60 split bench seat. These were also available in 60 series. The driver's seat would be the '79 bucket you have. Owyhee Jackass has a wide passenger seat from a non-us FJ60.

Bucket + Bench, nothing cooler.
t2.jpg

Got the driveshafts ready last night, wife dropped them off at the machine shop about 60 miles from here on the way through that town. :)

Matt
MVC-001S.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom