Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread............and go.

I was debating on whether to start a thread on my (EDIT:THE WIFE'S-I CAUGHT HELL FOR, "MY") resto/build up project for the wife's 65 lv. But, figured it might help a few people and more importantly, help me if someone see's something or recomends something before I am about to do it!!

I've had a good month or 2 of obtaining parts and also determining what I wanted and what I wanted to do. I would say actual working on this rig started approx. 2 weeks ago around 3/15/2005.

I've always kinda considered myself somewhat of a purist, not die-hard, but liked to see things kept mostly stock. I will be deviating from that belief somewhat on this project. Sorry if I offend anyone, but for me what it came down to is I want to use this rig, a lot! I want the stock look, but more power and a nicer ride. So I am building it with some creature comforts in mind.

Mod's in mind:

350 sbc
700R4 auto tranny
Saginaw power steering
parabolic springs
79 disc axles w/ 3.73 ring and pinion
Ididit steering column, tilt, cruise control
Vintage air - A/C
more stuff as I think of it?

I'll start posting pics and if you want me to stop, just let me know. Threads can be deleted anytime.

And of course as always, more pics on my site - www.crustycruisers.com

Thanks, Matt
mud1.JPG
mud2.JPG
mud3.JPG

Last edited:
The Donor 79, to be sacrificed in the name of the Wagon!!
lv20.jpg

mud5.JPG

mud6.JPG

Last edited:
more pics
mud7.JPG
mud8.JPG
mud9.JPG

even more pics
mud10.JPG
mud11.JPG
mud12.JPG

1 more post for now
mud13.JPG
mud14.JPG
mud15.JPG

Chef said:
Goodwrench crate motor?

No, building it from scratch. Had the block machined locally for the pistons I am using, ordered up all the parts that I wanted. Good mechanic friend of mine is giving me a hand doing the motor.

Matt

Matt,

Just curious where you found this 65 lv? Are you finding this stuff in Northern MN? I have not been able to find anything up there. I haven't looked REAL hard but just curious. Nice looking project. Can not wait to see it done.

:cheers:

cruiserwanted said:
Matt,

Just curious where you found this 65 lv? Are you finding this stuff in Northern MN? I have not been able to find anything up there. I haven't looked REAL hard but just curious. Nice looking project. Can not wait to see it done.

certainly didnt come from MN. came from Mariposa area of California via San Diego...

cruiserwanted said:
Matt,

What Brett said, he's the guy I bought it from down in the So.Cal area back in Febuary. I would imagine most in the Minnesota area have been re-claimed by the earth.

I will keep the pics coming as progress is made. I tore apart the front clip, doors and other misc. things yesterday afternoon. Plan is to pull the stock motor and drivetrain this evening. I am probably going to trailer it up to friend of mine on Tuesday who is a body man, he has a frame rack. I have boughten all new / used parts for the front end. Every front clip part was bent up and full of bondo, just wasn't worth trying to fix. After pulling the bumper and parts I noticed the frame is slightly swayed to the driver side, not bad, but it has to be put in a frame rack and pulled straight before I weld in the motor mounts and saginaw plates. I imagine it was hit in the front end sometime during it's life, hence all the filler in the front sheet metal.

Plan is to get the new drivetrain in this weekend, should have lots of pics after that. Bought some steel a few weeks ago to build a body rottisseri, gotta weld that up before the weekend. I'm going to mount it to that so I can roll the body inverted and start on the bottom.

Matt

treerootCO said:
Glad it went to a good home. :)

Save the 135 engine parts, someone may need 'em.

I throw nothing away when it comes to LC's :)

Few more pics of fun from later this afternoon. It looks crude, but I want to get this messy stuff out of the way outside before I bring it in the shop.

Matt
mud16.JPG
mud17.JPG
mud18.JPG

1 more
mud19.JPG

Worked on the 350 a little this even, got most of the acc. bolted on, few pics

Also, do I have my mounts correct on my rear AA T-case bracket? AA says small donut on the bottom and large on top, but in the pic in there instructions the small donut looks like a smaller dia. Both mine are the same dia., just one is thinner.

Thanks, Matt
Mvc-005s.jpg
Mvc-003s.jpg
Mvc-002s.jpg

It's looking better and better....great job.

Looks awesome!

Wow!!! I guess I will have to follow this build up too...amazing work so far...

Loaded up the LV tonight and brought it up to a friend of mine who owns an auto body shop. He has a frame rack and I wanted him to take a look at the front end, since I noticed the frame was swayed to the driver side slightly when I took the front clip off.

After some quick measuring on his part he determined the front end was about a 1/2" out of square to the driver side. Frame rack not needed, but porta power and torch was. Some precision heating, targeted porta powering and a little BFH'ing, all is well and square now, amazing how fast he did it.

When I had it up there this evening I noticed the passenger side shock tower was bolted on instead of buck riveted. With a cast piece like a shock tower, I imagine if it got hit on the side it wouldn't have bent, it would have broke. With the amount of filler in the front tin and the shock tower, must have been hit in the right front corner sometime during it's life? Oh, well....nice and straight now. :)

Matt
Mvc-002s.jpg
Mvc-003s.jpg
Mvc-004s.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom