1964 Trailblazer Chief Camper Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drawer slides finally showed up and I was able to put the drawer in and put the rest of the bed platform in place. I'll be doing the finish work on the front, putt in the cubbies, etc. in the next week or so.
thumbnail_IMG_6819.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6820.jpg

Water tank also showed up, I have to figure out exactly how to mount/secure this thing now.
thumbnail_IMG_6821.jpg

Great work and cool project. Do you have some way to retain the drawers so they don't fly out while towing?

The reason I ask is our travel trailer has some pretty stout detents but still flew open a couple times. And they aren't even facing forward. One time a drawer came out hard enough to break the cabinet frame. We pack something on the floor in front of the drawers now just in case. Usually a rolled up patio mat.

Great work and cool project. Do you have some way to retain the drawers so they don't fly out while towing?

The reason I ask is our travel trailer has some pretty stout detents but still flew open a couple times. And they aren't even facing forward. One time a drawer came out hard enough to break the cabinet frame. We pack something on the floor in front of the drawers now just in case. Usually a rolled up patio mat.
The drawer slides are the self locking kind but I also have some latches I will be putting on all the drawers and cabinets. There's a good chance something will be on the floor in front of it most of the time when traveling too though.

Been a bit idle lately but I got back to it recently. Water tank is in place, started framing up the cabinet a bit, thinking about locating the hot water heater.
thumbnail_IMG_6966.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6967.jpg

Is the "bathroom space" going to be a shower enclosure? I'm trying to visualize what's what. I see what I think is the water heater. What is the gray unit behind the vertical studs?
Yes the bathroom is a wet bath, so toilet and shower in one. Water Heater is the white rectangular camplux unit on the left side of the second image. The gray rectangle behind the vertical studs of the cabinet back is the water tank, 10 gal frontrunner flat tank.

Nothing to exciting, managed to get all the seams sealed. You don't realize how many there are until you get started and then realize its been 4 hours and you aren't done. Hoping to prime and coat the roof in the next week or so.
thumbnail_IMG_7031.jpg

Got the roof primed last night. Thought it would have some color but its just a clear but you can feel the difference. Supposed to get colder and snow 3-7" tonight so I'll have to wait a few days for it to warm up to do the roof coating.

thumbnail_IMG_7032.jpg

What are your plans for the exterior? Are there any reflective or insulating coatings for something like this? When is your first trip going to be?
The roof is getting rv roof coating, its basically white liquid rubber that you paint on. For the walls I'm planning to user bedliner, my wife likes a light grey color from monstaliner. I like the fact that its another layer of waterproofing and a little protection from rocks, hail and on any FS road I tow it up.

Hoping to take it out some this summer/fall, just some of the quick local spots here in MT. Once I finish coating the outside it's close to useable. Need to register it still and I expect I'll need to repack the bearings in the axles. The rest of the interior buildout will take some time because its all expensive.

First 2 coats of roof covering Saturday, 2 more Sunday. Will get a couple more on there later this week.
thumbnail_IMG_7053.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7055.jpg

Got these 2 pieces of wheel trim on, I had been ignoring them for months, I also trimmed the bottom edge of all the panels to be nice and even.
thumbnail_IMG_7237.jpg

Painted (lined?) the camper this weekend, I took about 5 hours. I used Monstaliner and was really pleased with the way it worked, and the lines are really clean where the tape was removed which was not the case with Durabak which I have used in the past.
thumbnail_IMG_7241.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7242.jpg

Got all the trim pieces for the lights back on.
thumbnail_IMG_7247.jpg

Got the door back on, weather stripped it, adjusted the latch so it will close and lock properly and tightly. I also did the interior caulking on the windows.
thumbnail_IMG_7248.jpg

Finally got off my lazy ass and got back to work. Finished caulking all the windows and trimmed the door.
thumbnail_IMG_7867.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7870.jpg

Started axle work, replacement seals will be here on Tuesday, need to finish cleaning things up and put it all back together then.
thumbnail_IMG_7865.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7868.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7869.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom