1964 Trailblazer Chief Camper Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah it's amazing how little structure is in these things. I guess all the rigidity came from the metal panels not really the structure underneath.

Not through yet, loooong way to go, but staying motivated.
It has been fun watching you resurrect this trailer. Keep it going

Made some more progress on panels this weekend. Drivers side has all 4 panels on now.
thumbnail_IMG_5846.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5849.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5852.jpg

I also ran into my first real hiccup so far in the build. The drivers top front panel is about 1.25" off at the top (first photo). My template for framing may have been a little off, or the first panel was slightly out of line which amplified across the length of the camper. It was pretty bad in this spot originally (second photo) but the gap was on the top instead of the side so it was largely covered by the j-channel. Currently thinking about options to address the gap. Current best idea I have is to get some metal flashing and insert under the roof panels and bend down over the side panel to cover the gap and seal it with lots of butyl tape. Also going to see if they make a larger j-channel but I think the gap is probably to large for that to be viable.
thumbnail_67436023234__B95E213E-F86D-447D-AD77-F68931448720.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5400.jpg

Would suggest tacking up the other side panels to see how they line up and figure out now if there’s any other discrepancies.

It would be a lot of back tracking, but could you recut/remake the roof line arch pieces?

Would suggest tacking up the other side panels to see how they line up and figure out now if there’s any other discrepancies.

It would be a lot of back tracking, but could you recut/remake the roof line arch pieces?
Back tracking at this point would involve removing hundreds of screws, like 40' of butyl tape, at least that much in caulked seams, wire brushing all the panels again, for about a 1.25" gap at its widest and 3-4' in length. Just doesn't seem worth it to me at this point. I'm not sure what to do at this point but going that far back doesn't seem like the right option.

Back tracking at this point would involve removing hundreds of screws, like 40' of butyl tape, at least that much in caulked seams, wire brushing all the panels again, for about a 1.25" gap at its widest and 3-4' in length. Just doesn't seem worth it to me at this point. I'm not sure what to do at this point but going that far back doesn't seem like the right option.
Agree, esp since it invokes lots of sealant.

You can buy new tin too. Still keeps the look (despite an entirely inferior water sealing ability), and allows you to fit it to your new structure.

May find some scrap aluminum and get someone to tig a patch onto this panel to fill the gap. Removing this one panel isn't nearly as big of a deal, or they may be able to swing by and weld it in place.

Fiberglass reinforced plastic. You can buy it from suppliers in rolls, smooth or textured, in many colors.

Found a few minutes sunday afternoon after getting back from a trip to get a couple things done. New door hardware is in, will probably have to make some adjustments once it goes back into the frame and into the camper.
thumbnail_IMG_5888.jpg

First piece of siding on the passenger side, just the little trim piece under the door but you have to start somewhere.
thumbnail_IMG_5889.jpg

Next panel is rough in place, have to put a couple more pieces of framing in first but ran out of wood. Started fiberglass patching some of the numerous holes as well.
thumbnail_IMG_5927.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5928.jpg

Is the gap in the front or rear? You could make retro wings on both sides on top of the butyl tape. Just a thought.

Last panel went on, finished up some framing in the roof area on the inside, lots more fiberglass patching.

thumbnail_IMG_5935.jpg

Ditched the old jack, cleaned up the rust, new jack and safety chains, started in on the wiring.
thumbnail_IMG_5934.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5968.jpg

Started getting lights in place, these have a chrome trim piece that I will put on later, gives them a nice retro look.
thumbnail_IMG_5966.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5967.jpg

Had to take the door back apart in order to get the new window in so I snapped a picture of the inside this time, and the finished product with the new window in it. Also cleaned and rust treated the door frame, hope to get it painted in the next few days.
IMG_6039.jpg
IMG_6040.jpg

Put the hatch door back on, need to find some weather stripping still but otherwise ready to go. Spent a bunch of time trimming panel edges so they will fit just right and caulked them all.
IMG_6041.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom