1964 Trailblazer Chief Camper Build (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent a bunch of time diagramming and measuring the framing on both sides and front/top/back. Also made templates of both ends and the top. My plan is to try and replace everything behind the cardboard in as few pieces as possible. I think the ends can be done with 2x12 and the top with 2 pieces of 2x6 or 2x8. Should make it significantly stronger and simpler with only a small weight increase.
thumbnail_IMG_5437.jpg

The siding is held on with a 3/4" staple every couple inches on every edge, and the roof panel with 1" twist nails, spent hours getting them all out, this is about 1/2 of them.
thumbnail_66466813790__DBF2F489-D774-4F32-B5D4-40F4287E6DD2.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5471.jpg

The siding was the only thing holding the rear wall together, it basically collapsed part way through me removing all the staples. All the siding is off now, I should have it down to the floor if not all the way to the frame this week.
thumbnail_66467186668__F74BDD96-EF7C-4374-A002-242B175E6562.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5470.jpg

Walls are gone, was able to salvage a little bit of lumber to use for some bracing and framing of things later.
thumbnail_IMG_5483.jpg

Floor is off, if it didn't have vinyl tile glued to it I probably could've reused about 75% of it, not sure I want to deal with getting that off though. Looks like about 6 pieces of the framing need to be replaced.
thumbnail_66526891396__1F360745-27C6-4C51-A925-9247EC2FB699.jpg

Got the frame treated and coated.
thumbnail_IMG_5529.jpg

The original wood framing had some sort of fiberboard type material on the bottom. I went with a plastic sheeting that people normally use in bathrooms, wanted to be as waterproof as possible instead of absorbent. Caulked it all as I nailed it down and then caulked all the seams and edges. Sprayed the entire thing with a black rubberized liner.
thumbnail_66649159363__34EA3B64-F813-41B0-A157-A03AD3B7458F.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5551.jpg

Straightened up the wheel wells the best I could and then reattached. Did a little touch up on the frame and around the wheel wells as soon as its dry I'll flip the framing over and put it on the trailer.
thumbnail_IMG_5619.jpg

Walls are finally going up again. That main frame for the wall was originally made from about 20 pieces of wood and probably 50+ layered strips of plywood. For simplicity and hopefully some added strength I made it out of 3 pieces cut from 2x12's. Cross pieces seem to be lining up nicely based on the measurements I took, once the metal starts going back on I'll see if I need to adjust any.
thumbnail_IMG_5683.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5684.jpg

Looking good. I'm enjoying your restoration. Looks like it's going to be better than it was new.
Thanks, at this point maybe I should've just bought a new one since I'm basically building one. :doh: I'm in it to win it now though.

Love the effort to bring it back! I was about to say that you realistically only bought an axle and metal frame, but I see that the aluminum shell was really the thing that could not be replaced.

Reminder to source new tires. I have had so many friends and family end up in precarious positions for they forgot how old the tires were on their trailers that they only used a few hundred miles a year!

Finished out the framing around the window while I had the upper panel test fit then got it attached.
thumbnail_67176502347__42F6247F-D2F2-4D92-940A-387846659A13.jpg
thumbnail_67176880101__3775AF0B-3998-41F1-8FE9-9465FE2A36BC.jpg

Got the lower panel on the front attached, adjusted a couple pieces and finished out the window framing on the front and got the upper panel attached. Felt like I made some good progress this weekend.
thumbnail_67192001982__A7406655-6925-4E10-AD7C-B486E1309BFA.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5751.jpg

It's even more impressive that you're reusing the old siding. Watching intently.

It's even more impressive that you're reusing the old siding. Watching intently.
That and the frame are all I really paid for at this point. The metal is in good shape and going back on pretty well.

Last roof panel went on over the weekend. After which I reframed around the vent and put the vent cap back on.
thumbnail_IMG_5807.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5808.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5809.jpg

Started on the driver side paneling after that, test fitting this first panel was a pain in the ass, I needed the panel in front and the one above to make sure it was sitting right in all directions. Finally got it squared away though. Had to adjust one stud a little bit then added one in based on the existing holes in the metal.
thumbnail_IMG_5816.jpg

Did some of the framing around the window to wrap up the work this weekend.
thumbnail_IMG_5817.jpg

The door on this thing felt very flimsy so I opened it up and found basically no structure and cardboard insulation. Built in some structure and put foam insulation in. Sadly I forgot to take a picture before putting it back together. :doh:
thumbnail_IMG_5824.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5825.jpg

The door on this thing felt very flimsy so I opened it up and found basically no structure and cardboard insulation. Built in some structure and put foam insulation in. Sadly I forgot to take a picture before putting it back together. :doh:
View attachment 3005908View attachment 3005909
Wow, pretty amazing how chincy some things are/were made, this mass produced camper barely has any substantial structure.

Also makes you realize how relatively easy it would be to fab up a really nice solid homemade camper.

Good on you for seeing this through, been following since you started. Fun project to watch.

Wow, pretty amazing how chincy some things are/were made, this mass produced camper barely has any substantial structure.

Also makes you realize how relatively easy it would be to fab up a really nice solid homemade camper.

Good on you for seeing this through, been following since you started. Fun project to watch.
Yeah it's amazing how little structure is in these things. I guess all the rigidity came from the metal panels not really the structure underneath.

Not through yet, loooong way to go, but staying motivated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom