Builds 1964 FJ40 Diesel build, 5 speed, vw TDI, 35's....Lets not call it a restoration. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think tomorrow after the f banger is out I will start pulling the diesel from the Passat. Side note: I have been building this engine in the car since I purchased it. It's around 200 HP as it sits. Shouldn't take long to get her out, got a chunk of 3/8 plate here sitting ready for the adapter. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't go through the w56 since it is already out. I would SERIOUSLY hate to put it in, get the truck going and then have to take it back out to rebuild it.

I had 2 W56 transmissions fail in my Mini-truck with a TDI. The last one stripped the cluster gear. I would recommend an R-series if you are already making your own adapter plate. You can get off the shelf adapters for the gear drive transfer case. Mine was well under 200 horsepower as well. More like 135. Just trying to help!

anyone know which
I had 2 W56 transmissions fail in my Mini-truck with a TDI. The last one stripped the cluster gear. I would recommend an R-series if you are already making your own adapter plate. You can get off the shelf adapters for the gear drive transfer case. Mine was well under 200 horsepower as well. More like 135. Just trying to help!

Hmmm... that's interesting. I have never heard an issue with them. Tons of guys running them in samurais with built engines. I can surely pick up an R but I didn't think it was needed. Combine that with the guys running 350's in front of them for years.

anyone know which

Hmmm... that's interesting. I have never heard an issue with them. Tons of guys running them in samurais with built engines. I can surely pick up an R but I didn't think it was needed. Combine that with the guys running 350's in front of them for years.

I had the same thought when I got into it years ago. I'm not sure why, maybe its a torsional vibration issue. I can only tell you what I experienced.

Either way, I would just start with the R-series now while its easy. That way you can play with ratios down the road if you really get into it.

Might do that. I had it all figured out till now I guess. What starter is used with the r150 in a swap like this?

Looks like a sweet project, never enough Diesel 40's on the road. What sort of time line are you hoping for ?

Well as you know they're never done but I should have it back on the road in a couple weeks.

Failed today, had to go to town and that unfortunately eats up most of a day. Did pick up that nice Belleview/Warn winch for this project. It will look super nice on the front bumper. Dare I say I am thinking more of building a sleeper? Crusty original on the outside...new diesel 5 speed hotness on the inside?

Well as you know they're never done but I should have it back on the road in a couple weeks.

DAMN !!!! if you can take it from those pictures on Page 1 to Done and driving with the TDI and W565 etc in 2 weeks you are an absolute MACHINE .... that is very impressive

DAMN !!!! if you can take it from those pictures on Page 1 to Done and driving with the TDI and W565 etc in 2 weeks you are an absolute MACHINE .... that is very impressive
as long as parts work with me and not against me, it should be pretty easy to do. The new drivetrain should be ready to set in tomorrow, monday latest. The 1.9 in the passat only required 3 12v positives and a ground to run so we're not talking about rocket science here. It will take a day to fabricate motor mounts and transmission cross member. Do something about the steering column and sort the brakes and we're running and driving. NOW THEN...that is the short term goal, to just get it so I can move it around the farm under it's own power. There will still be a LOOOONG way to go to get to where I want to be but I find it much better to have small short term goals. knock them out a little at a time, then all of a sudden you're done!

although I do want to see if I can drive it around using the pipe wrench steering wheel just so @rkymtnflyfisher will drool all over himself.

although I do want to see if I can drive it around using the pipe wrench steering wheel just so @rkymtnflyfisher will drool all over himself.

I think with a knob on the end of that pipe wrench and a tack weld here and there, you'll be golden!

one of the things I have been mulling over today while I was wasting time driving to town was leaf springs. The springs on the FJ are SHOT...now we have a local shop that will re-arch and restore them for 125 a spring. He can also put an inch or two of lift in there for no extra charge. Now to me that sounds a little high until I started looking at lift spring prices. Wow. they ain't cheap. The end game is a couple inches of lift and "maybe" a spring over. just for funzies but I have a finite amount of funds to toss at this thing in the near future then I'm going into conservation mode to get some things done around the farm before winter hits. I really want to keep the soft ride, I also need to clear 35's.... restoring the factory springs might be my only option for this season. Plus the turn around time will be short as the shop is right there in great falls and a friend of mine runs it. Take them in two at a time and do the spring over on that axle while he is restoring the spring sounds like a good plan to me.

20190919_160254.jpg

Highly recommend a spring over, cheap, easy and retain the soft ride. I wouldn’t touch the springs, 4 perches, high steer, and some brake lines and call it done! Have done a dozen over the years and they work great and will clear 35’s perfect!

Highly recommend a spring over, cheap, easy and retain the soft ride. I wouldn’t touch the springs, 4 perches, high steer, and some brake lines and call it done! Have done a dozen over the years and they work great and will clear 35’s perfect!

Even being almost flat?

While I hope my original B engine lasts forever I may have keep my old Jetta tdi engine just in case...

I looked at a Toyota diesel but they are too proud of them for my liking. Plus the little VW weighs hundreds of pounds less and has the potential to make a ton more HP. What's not to like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom