1962 FJ40 w/hardtop rebuild/restore 2011 By Greg Hobbs, Phx, Az (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?
1962 FJ40 033.jpg

NEW PICS

Well I had use of a power washer so I put it to use and gave the Cruiser a bath that has been 15yrs in the waiting.
1962 FJ40 036.jpg
1962 FJ40 035.jpg
1962 FJ40 037.jpg

Just an FYI guys I had to put the restore on hold for a while. My Mom was in a serious car accident back in June and still hasn't been able to come back home yet. I was off work for 2 months dealing with her stuff. But the good news is I started back with a new job and just found out today my Mom is getting a lot better and hopefully will be home by the end of the year.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Glad she is doing better. Is the cruiser tucked away somewhere save?

Yes its locked up in the back of my Mom's place, but went out to check on it and it looks like I gonna be buyin some tires if I'm thinking its gonna be moved again. I want to put my 16" BFG's on it when I get new tires for my truck but that means buyin a full set of 16" rims for the Cruiser. It has 15x8's on it now. UGH! or I just buy a set of used.

Hey nice FJ,
I notice your window glass has the same FJ25L as my 61 FJ25L hardtop but yours is a FJ40 hardtop.
Great old FJ
Bill
yeah I believe that Toyota used the same that used on the ´25 har top, cause mine have the same stamp on the glasses, let me know if I´m wrong

Yes its locked up in the back of my Mom's place, but went out to check on it and it looks like I gonna be buyin some tires if I'm thinking its gonna be moved again. I want to put my 16" BFG's on it when I get new tires for my truck but that means buyin a full set of 16" rims for the Cruiser. It has 15x8's on it now. UGH! or I just buy a set of used.
hello there AZ nice to meet you, hope to this time your great and your family too.
I just want to ask if you still have you fj ?????

Hello, sorry for the long delay in updating this thread. I am AzWrangler73, I lost the email account a while back due to hackers. I did have to put the build on a long pause due to family issues and life in general. But I am now trying to move forward with sourcing parts to get it back on the road. Its going to be a slow build but I am hoping once I get moving I will make some headway. My goal is to get it road worthy so I can enjoy driving it again.

So there is a ton of things to address on my 40. With all the other builds on here where is the best starting point to begin? My first thought is get it rolling with wheels and tires, then addressing the mechanics of making it start and run under its own power. Then start from there out?

Yes get it running is best to start with. Most fun to do too. Then the brakes. Tires can be next. Or before when you have nothing to have it rolling with.
Then it is time to think what to do. Go original or modify. Patina or respray.

Don’t be afraid to get into things. The technology is simple. You’ll be learning on the way. And lots of help here.

Good luck!

So there is a ton of things to address on my 40. With all the other builds on here where is the best starting point to begin? My first thought is get it rolling with wheels and tires, then addressing the mechanics of making it start and run under its own power. Then start from there out?
After tackling (and ruining a few) too many projects, I’d recommend figuring out exactly what direction you want to go with the project before throwing time and money at it. It sounds cheesy but I do a “mission statement” that gives me overall direction, I.e “the mission of this project is to make a safe daily driver.” By figuring that out and sticking to it, many of your questions will be answered.
My 2 cents is that your rig is definitely nice enough to keep cosmetically original.

After tackling (and ruining a few) too many projects, I’d recommend figuring out exactly what direction you want to go with the project before throwing time and money at it. It sounds cheesy but I do a “mission statement” that gives me overall direction, I.e “the mission of this project is to make a safe daily driver.” By figuring that out and sticking to it, many of your questions will be answered.
My 2 cents is that your rig is definitely nice enough to keep cosmetically original.
That is my goal is to make it a driver, I want to keep it as it is as much as possible. I love the patina it has.

I'd worry about tires and wheels after you get brakes, battery and engine sorted as it looks to be able to roll-around on the current set...not sure of you financials, but tires alone could set you back months of 'discretionary' spending.

Do you plan on keeping the v8?

As for the broken spring hanger, not sure how to fix it back to OEM, but you could jack it up, put in some grade 8 bolts where the rivets were, then maybe get a couple heavy tack welds in an inconspicuous spot. If you want the riveted on hanger, you may be able to source a section of frame with that still on, then cut and weld on a new frame-horn with the hanger riveted on.

Good luck, good to see someone else's projects are on the geologic time-scale.

I'd worry about tires and wheels after you get brakes, battery and engine sorted as it looks to be able to roll-around on the current set...not sure of you financials, but tires alone could set you back months of 'discretionary' spending.

Do you plan on keeping the v8?

As for the broken spring hanger, not sure how to fix it back to OEM, but you could jack it up, put in some grade 8 bolts where the rivets were, then maybe get a couple heavy tack welds in an inconspicuous spot. If you want the riveted on hanger, you may be able to source a section of frame with that still on, then cut and weld on a new frame-horn with the hanger riveted on.

Good luck, good to see someone else's projects are on the geologic time-scale.
The set on it now is junked, will not hold air, those pics are from 2011, I will get a set of used tires for now.
I do plan on keeping the 283 as it will be the simplest way to bring it back to life. The motor was never abused so it should be pretty east to get it back up and running.
Once I set into the process I will do the bolt on the hanger.

The set on it now is junked, will not hold air, those pics are from 2011, I will get a set of used tires for now.
I do plan on keeping the 283 as it will be the simplest way to bring it back to life. The motor was never abused so it should be pretty east to get it back up and running.
Once I set into the process I will do the bolt on the hanger.
You can get fake rivets (breakaway bolts with rivet type heads) from the early Jeep (Willys MB/GPW/CJ2a) vendors if you want the hanger fasteners to look the part

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom